2008 Arc

By Nick Robson, PA Sport

Alain de Royer-Dupre admitted to being a little disappointed with Zarkava's performance in a gallop on Tuesday morning in preparation for her appearance in Sunday's Prix Vermeille.
The unbeaten three-year-old, who accounted for subsequent dual Group One-winner Goldikova by two lengths in the French 1000 Guineas, worked over seven furlongs with stable companion Light Green, a Grade One winner in Brazil.
But Royer-Dupre was slightly concerned that she did not seem to have her usual sparkle.
"She was a little off this morning, but I think she will still run on Sunday," he said.
"If she runs on Sunday then her preparation for the Arc has not been affected. Maybe she is not quite ready, but this is the right race for her.
"She worked with another filly who is going for the Prix Foy, Light Green, they worked over seven furlongs.
"Obviously we would prefer good ground for her."
Zarkava is currently a general 3-1 favourite for the Arc, a race Royer-Dupre has already been forced to rule out for one-time market leader Montmartre.

Incidently, is anyone going this year?

I've drove there from Sheffield for the last 3 years and I'm flying this year and going for both days. Whats the best way to get to Longchamp from CDG airport? I'm used to just pulling up after a relaxing drive down from Calais!

Arc Trial entries…

The Foy

Crossharbour
Zambezi sun
Schiaparelli
Not Just Swig
Avanti polonia
Light green

Niel

Doctor fremantle
Ideal world
King of rome
Vision d'etat
Full of gold
King Of Westphalia
Centennial
City leader
Prospect wells

Vermeille

Folk opera
Turfrose
Treat gently
Zarkava
Baila me
Dar re mi
Ice queen
Sail ire
Honoria
Adored
Albisola
Tangaspeed
Look here
Michita
Gagnoa

The Foy looks very weak.

I fancy Prospect Wells to run well, but hard to predict how much Fabre will have him ready for this. Now, however, is the time to bet on him for the Arc.

The Vermeille looks pretty interesting, especially with doubts about how well Zarkava is, let alone her first run at 1m4. On a sound surface, I think Michita and Ice Queen could be standout each way bets.

Has O'Brien ever won the Vermeille? I can't remember the last time he targeted it with something good?

Has O'Brien ever won the Vermeille? I can't remember the last time he targeted it with something good?

Yesterday, beaten a head by Mezzo Soprano in 2003. Apart from that, he hasn't really targeted it.

I would be banging the Gagnoa drum, though I'm slightly disconcerted by her Irish Oaks run (didn't look the most straight-forward filly that day). Given the fact she hasn't run since then, she could need the run as well.

Yes, and I'm worried that this constant foul weather is being particularly hard on the fillies

Incidently, is anyone going this year?

I've drove there from Sheffield for the last 3 years and I'm flying this year and going for both days. Whats the best way to get to Longchamp from CDG airport? I'm used to just pulling up after a relaxing drive down from Calais!

Yes

If I was at CDG then I'd probably take the quick RER Metro to Notre-Dame and then get on to the 10 out to Porte d'Auteuil (may have 1 intermediate stop) and then get the free bus. It'll take a while (but then getting from one extreme to the other of any city isn't quick) and at leasr it will be cheap.

Cheers betsmate, if I get there Ok and you fancy meeting then I'll buy you a pint as a thank you!

Delighted to see her win like that, better price for the colts in the Arc.

What price Lush Lashes for the Arc?

I disagree a little, I think anyone who fancies Vision d'Etat should be happy with that as a prep.

Back