2008 Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Murphy website is a bit out of date as Greenwood hasn't been retired (just changed ownership) and has another run in the trainers colours at Kempton tomorrow.

Not without a chance either.

Black Jack Ketchum:

Black Jack Ketchum has been retired after trainer Jonjo O'Neill revealed the former top-class performer "wasn't enjoying it anymore".

Owned by Gay and Derrick Smith, the nine-year-old appeared to have a huge future in the game after his victory at the 2006 Cheltenham Festival.

But after falling in the World Hurdle a year later, he has only managed one further win at Wetherby and was last seen pulling up at Prestbury Park on New Year's Day.

"He was a brilliant servant to the yard and a super little horse who will be very hard to replace, as good horses like him do not come along every day," said O'Neill.

"He's in good form at home but is not showing the same sparkle on the course this season, and, after talking it over with Gay and her husband Derrick, we have decided the fairest thing to do is retire him.

"We had hoped he would run at Aintree this week, where he has won before, but that is off the agenda now and he will spend his well-earned retirement at the Smith's farm in Barbados.

"He just did not seem to be enjoying it anymore and the last thing Gay and Derrick wanted to see was him slogging around after he had given them so much fun in winning all those races," he told the Racing Post.

You must have some spare cash in your drawer to be able to afford to fly your retired racehorse out to Barbados, Bl**** hell :what:

Apparently he has a misaligned spine, anyone read anything about this?
I'd have sent him to Nicky H, he has a good record in bringing back horses with serious problems
But if the spine has become deformed then set, retirement is obviously the best option

Are you sure that wasn't a veiled reference to him being spineless? I have never heard about any physical problem with regard to him and given Jonjo's candidness in these matters, I'm sure we would have had daily updates.

The Topham was a race of attrition & I hope we don't see the same tomorrow,the animal rights & the like will have a field day. Sorry to report that both In The Long Grass & Time To Sell both gave their lives for our pleasure.They are he confirmed casualties at time of writing. :(

apparentley Mckelvey unseated his rider and sustained the fatal injury loose ?

Yes that's what happened apparently, Lydia Hislop said so on RUK apparently
One of the unluckiest horses in the last couple of years.
Awful for the Bowens, owners, and esp the lass who nursed him through injury

Originally posted by Headstrong@Apr 2 2008, 01:35 PM
I'd have sent him to Nicky H, he has a good record in bringing back horses with serious problems
But if the spine has become deformed then set, retirement is obviously the best option
I'd have sent him to Steve Gollings. He is much the same and is very good and working out and working around horses problems and getting them back on the right road.

Originally posted by Simon+Apr 8 2008, 10:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Simon @ Apr 8 2008, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@Apr 2 2008, 01:35 PM
I'd have sent him to Steve Gollings. He is much the same and is very good and working out and working around horses problems and getting them back on the right road. [/b][/quote]
I'd have sent him to Ray York. Anybody else? :P

Totally gutted today about old stager Totally Scottish - I backed him today for a place and he was running with great enthusiasm apparently when he came down, bringing another down with him. A real blow for the Reveley yard, not having much luck lately, and tough for young James who was riding.

So sad to hear about Totally Scottish :( I used to work with a lady who owned a share in him, I didnt even know she had any interest in racing until I saw her at Catterick one day when he was running!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back