2008 Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely before Gareth. Notched one on the board at a time when 11 stone appeared to be the threshold and did the same weight carrying thing into second as the grey. 2nd in a gold cup also. I would say best national horse since West Tip. To think he couldnt win a bumper.

Originally posted by rorydelargy+Apr 8 2008, 10:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rorydelargy @ Apr 8 2008, 10:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Simon@Apr 8 2008, 10:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong
@Apr 2 2008, 01:35 PM
Apparently he has a misaligned spine, anyone read anything about this?
I'd have sent him to Nicky H, he has a good record in bringing back horses with serious problems
But if the spine has become deformed then set, retirement is obviously the best option

I'd have sent him to Steve Gollings. He is much the same and is very good and working out and working around horses problems and getting them back on the right road.
I'd have sent him to Ray York. Anybody else? :P [/b][/quote]
I would have sent him to Potters, least I would have got a bit of money back :P

Originally posted by Galileo@Apr 10 2008, 07:32 AM
Hedgehunter is off on a deserved retirement.
Wonderful news , :clap: he's always been a fav of mine , enjoy your retirement big lad you deserve it :D

Yankadi was lost this morning, im presumeing he's died as i cant see barry hills chucking his guineas horse out, am waiting to hear what happened

Originally posted by Garney@Apr 10 2008, 08:41 AM
To think he couldnt win a bumper.
Neither could Moscow Flyer but both were placed on all/most bumper runs.

Originally posted by Love Everlasting@Apr 11 2008, 11:30 AM
Yankadi was lost this morning, im presumeing he's died as i cant see barry hills chucking his guineas horse out, am waiting to hear what happened
He broke both sesamoids on the gallops and was rushed to vets but sadly put down :(

Fayr Jag suffers tragic end to his career at Pontefract

by Ray Gilpin

GROUP 1 winner Fayr Jag suffered a tragic end to his career when he broke a shoulder in a freak accident at Pontefract on Monday before the RIU Palace Meloneras Handicap.

The Tim Easterby-trained nine-year-old, ridden by David Allan, was blindfolded and being led into the stalls when he backed out before lurching violently forward and crashed back into the structure of the stalls.

Allan said: "He had the blinds on but then went in reverse and backed out of the stalls. Then, still blindfolded, he launched himself forward into the iron bars and I went over his head into the stalls.

"I was very lucky but it has a terrible way for Fayr Jag to die, he did not deserve that. He gave me my two biggest wins in Group 3s and I feel very sorry for his owner (Jonathan Gill)."
Easterby's father Peter said: "It was a terrible way for Fayr Jag to go, he was up there with the best sprinters we have had, he must have been, he was a Group 1 winner!

"He even met The Queen after he had won the Golden Jubilee and he has been a great servant to the stable and to his owner Jonathan Gill.

"We were going to get him ready for the Steward's Cup, that was the plan for him and we are really going to miss him."

In all Fayr Jag won eleven races, his Group 1 success coming in the 2004 Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot. He had previously won the Wokingham Stakes there in 2003, while three years later he won the Group 3 Chipchase Stakes at Newcastle and the Group 3 Hackwood Stakes at Newbury.

He earned over £423,000 in win and place prize money.

It sounds like a horrendous, freak accident. Terribly sad for all the connections. :(

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Apr 22 2008, 09:22 AM
Cat, just be relieved that you didn't see the incident.
Colin, I was not keen on seeing it or anything, but was completely unaware that any sort of incident happend. meant to watch the race as he is one of the old favs, but so much trouble in office and completely missed it, just quickly checked result.... this is why its such a shock, if you know what I mean :(

Very sad :cry: ....Could this start an issue about horses being blindfolded ?.

The amount of horses injured or killed wearing a blindfold being leaded into the stalls i know is minimal , but when you have horses that refuse to go in that are then blindfolded turned around a couple times so they dont know were there going , getting anxious or upset , then break free off the stall handler and smash into the stalls and die surely needs looking into !!....Ive seen horses being practised time & time again going in & out of starting stalls without blindfolds on ...if they have to be used then make sure that they are easily taken off if there is a problem ....Surely Rory one death in these circumstances is one to many and it should be looked into to help stop it happening again ....

I didn't see the incident but by the descriptions it sounds like a freak accident. I hope it is investigated, for the sake of the trainer and the connections and of course any other interested parties. I have certainly not heard any other such incidents and I hope it's just a one off although extremely sad to lose any racehorse in this way.

There's the problem too that stalls handlers sometimes blindfold horses *against the express wish of the trainer* which also needs investigation. Dreadful end for Fayr Jag, who'd had a stalls accident before [you can see the scar in his head-on photos, his left side is bit bashed in].... so glad I was busy fiddling with photos all afternoon and missed that :what:

Haze Bleu in first race at Punchestown yesterday. The gunshot was quite a loud one.

I backed Haze Bleu a few weeks ago when she won a point. Just happened to be there watching a mtes mare run and mate fancied this one in the next as it had run against their mare the previous day. She put up a gutsy performance to win. RIP

Pelican Prince , who broke his pelvis leaving the stalls a few weeks back, was PTS yesterday... vets tried to save him but complications set in ....he was trained by Karl Burke . :(

It certainly is.... Really sad, I thought she was top class. Backed her nicely for the Oaks too.
B*ggeration! - and commiserations to connections

Meanwhile can anyone give me news on Bewley's Berry and Caribou in the big chase at Sandown?
BB's injury looked severe, didn't see Caribou's, both dismounted. Channel 4 told us nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back