2012 Olympics

loser.jpg

finish.jpg

Surprised that no-one has mentioned that the vote may have been decided by the 2 Finnish IOC members.

Personally, I think the south of France is fine. The Nicois are straightforward and friendly.

I think its wonderful that London was chosen, it will bring a lot of work in also it will generate a lot of money, and great facilities for the future. Well done. ;)

regards.

Subotica, Exit To Nowhere, Hectot Protector, Montjeu, Bago, Isabelle Adjani, Irene Jacob and Emmanuelle Beart mean i will never hate the French.

There are alot of very beautiful things about France. I love their language, I love their wine, and I love Paris......but I don't love all of those things MORE than the fact the Olympics will be coming to London in 2012.

I have recently watched Lord Coe and the others talk so passionately about what this means to them and it was a real emotional, heartstring -tugging stuff said with real depth and feeling. They did a sterling job and I am sure that listening to their presentation, it swung more than a few votes in our direction.

Well done Lord Coe & Co! B)

Originally posted by The Cardiffian@Jul 6 2005, 08:26 PM
I think its wonderful that London was chosen, it will bring a lot of work in also it will generate a lot of money, and great facilities for the future. Well done.
If the outfit that built the Scottish parliament building get the building contracts down there then the French will be turning back English boat people by 2013.
icon_eek.gif

For some people Colin, this has been verging on the obsessional. It may be tears of relief as well as joy. It certainly is a major accomplishment given that many thought we didn't stand an earthly of winning 12 months ago.

I suppose the British like to be successful at something Colin, and this is it for the moment. We were the underdogs, and then we were looking at being the "also rans" and then all of a sudden we were the winners. I for one felt proud of those that have achieved this for this country. When you look at the spectable of Greece and obviously Sydney, these were Olympic games that many people will always remember.

Many people will pin their hopes on London being the same. It perhaps makes people feel proud again of the country that the Labour government is slowly destroying, and I for one hope that Labour are not still in power come 2012!

Delighted that the French lost. They had one major handicap - their personalities.

I'm not so sure I am delighted London got it though. I suspect we will pay through the nose for it for decades to come.

The Irish IOC member Pat Hickey* was interviewd on RTE tonight and said that the Blair intervention definitely swung it - very impressed with his intervention.

I think Seb Coe deserves a standing ovettion.

(* 9.5 on the An Capall scumbag index.)

Im delighted London has won!!! Im not sure about this issue about beating Paris..at the end of the day, shouldnt we take the win as a win instead of who we beat?? its a bit silly and childish isnt it??

The headline on the bbs website for winning the olympic bid was London beat Paris..shoudnt it be something less patronising, the title of beating Paris was a little dig in itself.

btw, where is the beach volleyball going to be held??? ;)

And he's not joking, it will be in Horseguards. I offered to have my garden filled with sand but they weren't up for it.

Here, from would you believe, a Seattle newspaper, are the venues for various sports:

Olympic Venues

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jul 6 2005, 07:50 PM
Totally over the top media-driven hysteria.

People crying with joy in Trafalgar Square.....did someone win a war?????
Be prepared you won't hear the end of it for another 7 years. Everyone in Sydney was running the streets in victory and celebration the day it was announced, it was all over the news. For Australia it was the biggest event in a long while.

The euphoria behind its unbelievable, you have to see it to believe it.

Be proud you got it and be a part of it. It may be a very long time you will get it again, because I doubt Australia will host it again.

I totally agree Grand Armee. This is something many of us will probably never see again in our lifetime. Like it or not, the Olympics will be coming to London, and I for one, cannot wait.

It was quite frightening working out how old I am going to be in 2012! :blink:

I suspect the beach volleyball may take place in my home town, Weymouth. The sailing is certainly going to be here.

I wonder if anyone has even taken a look at the road network here - it already takes me an hour to travel 8 miles home every day :huh:

I'm surprised the equestrian events will be taking place at Greenwich; I'm sure that at one point it was the plan to hold them at Windsor.

Originally posted by BrianH@Jul 7 2005, 12:45 AM
I offered to have my garden filled with sand but they weren't up for it.

Thats cos they didn't know where they could get that much sand. :P

Back