2016 Gold Cuppin

I don't think so. His tasks this year have been hella difficult and the form he showed in last year's JLT may be good enough to pick this up.

Don Cossack won easy enough, but wasn't very impressive.

He races pretty lazily, and whilst he comes back onto the bridle, he could get out-paced at a critical part of the race.

I was worried about the ground as he’s a better horse on better ground. He worked in cheekpieces the other day and flew in them and while there was no point having them on today, he’ll have them on in the Gold Cup.“Bryan said from the second-last to the line he was only getting going. He was free and exuberant in the early days and while it’s not good to look at, the last quarter [of his races] is his best now.
“He’s a better horse in the second half of the season and with a bit of better ground and cheekpieces, the Gold Cup is the plan. If he’s good enough or not I don’t know, but roll on March.”

His jumping today was average at best. If left to make his own mind up at a fence he gets in close every time and loses a length or two. This gives the impression he's lazy because Cooper has to give him a kick to claw back the ground lost. The couple of occasions Cooper booted him into the fence he flew it.

He can't afford to jump like that in a Gold Cup and I'm not convinced cheekpieces will solve that problem.

When they turn out the back at the start of the 2nd circuit, I fully expect Don Poli to be taken off his a**e with the pace the race is likely to be run at & will get left behind.

Gold Cuppin

If cooper rides Cossack over poli he needs his head checked. It's a simple choice really when you think of it. A choice between a 2 time course winner from 2 visits (2m4f & 3m) over one who by and large has struggled there twice even with his lofty reputation.

In saying that you can tell DC is the apple of Gigginstown's eye and it wouldn't surprise me if they put him as 1st choice.

The general mood around Thurles after today was that he wouldn't be coming near any gold cup based on that. Someone there said he heard Elliott tell Eddie O'Leary they had tried cheek pieces at home so could be sported come 18th March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From T'internet

Another informative run from Don Cossack today. He has a very awkward action, especially behind where both feet come out almost like a breast-stroking swimmer – he tends to do it more with his off-hind. I suspect it’s this action that makes him tilt his head quite often (much more noticeable rounding bends, or when initially trying to pick up under pressure). His ears go one way, his nose the opposite. At Kempton his nose went left, at Aintree it went right. His long stride too makes it very difficult for him to put in a short one; he can do it, but it tends to break his rhythm and lose him ground. He also jumps quite flat at times, and I think he’s going to need an awful lot of luck at Cheltenham to win a Gold Cup.

He’s a horse I’ve always liked, and I backed him to win the Betfair Million (he did not run in leg 1). But the more I see of him, the more inclined I am to keep my cash in my pocket. He has a mighty engine, but that action looks even more awkward coming down the hill at Cheltenham. All in all, I think he’s going to find things happening too quickly for him. It’s highly unlikely he’ll get into a rhythm, and he’ll probably belt at least one, and need scrubbing along. I don’t think headgear will make a jot of difference. He strikes me as a most honest horse, and not at all lazy; it’s just that when something happens that requires a quick move from him, he cannot make it; he’s just too big and gangly.

It’s not just errors that cause him problems. When Vautour took it up in the King George and raised the pace, Don Cossack could not go with them and got shuffled back. That pace increase happened as they went into a bend, which disadvantaged him further.

He’ll be a place lay for me in the Gold Cup where I suspect young Cooper will be aboard Don Poli.

I noticed that today passing the stands actually. His feet do come out at the back, it's weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the most overrated horse in training,if he wins a GC I'll eat my hat.Never puts it in on the big stage- I'd have 5 in front of him-definite place lay for me.didnt impress me with his fencing and looked to be having a think at a few.His jumping reminded me of Cue Cards a few seasons back when he was sort of flicking/twirling his back legs.

Last edited:
If he was definitely running he'd be half that price. Still think they'll err on the side of caution with him being the apple of Willie's eye. He'd never forgive himself if they bottomed him.

If you knew Vautour was going to run for sure you could back him at 8/1 and lay him off at 4/1 or less on the day with no risk. Sit back and enjoy the race. Only problem is:-....Anyone want to 2nd guess WPM?

Last edited:
If you knew Vautour was going to run for sure you could back him at 8/1 and lay him off at 4/1 or less on the day with no risk. Sit back and enjoy the race. Only problem is:-....Anyone want to 2nd guess WPM?
almost certain he'll go there. i actually think there's more chance he'd be re-routed to the champion chase than the ryanair. if un de sceaux got injured or flopped/fell next time out they might just consider it. mullins has no taste whatsoever for the ryanair.

Security.I eat those guys for breakfast jump in my Austin Martin kiss Miss Moneypenny and I'm at Cheltenham 2 hours before the first shoot Djakadam fans with my Walther PPK :lol:

As long as you have the decency to do your rampage after I have enjoyed the celebrations :cool:

almost certain he'll go there. i actually think there's more chance he'd be re-routed to the champion chase than the ryanair. if un de sceaux got injured or flopped/fell next time out they might just consider it. mullins has no taste whatsoever for the ryanair.

Is this just one persons opinion that's now been repeated so many times that it becomes fact? Has he said something in the past which gives that impression? As the trainer of Florida Pearl I thought he'd be the first to welcome such a race.

mullins is a creature of habit. look at what he's put in the ryanair in past years. i'd be very surprised if he re-routed what is probably his favourite horse from a championship race he has not yet won and probably covets more than any other to it.

Back