2016 Gold Cuppin

There's no way they'll let him get away with it. It'd be playing in to his hands if they did. I think more likely Gigi would enter a pacemaker to stop it happening if they've got any sense. At the very least one of their jockeys would be given instructions to take it up. Willie would know this of course so probably won't happen anyway.

You would hope not Maruco and indeed it would play in to his hands. Though that is the only way I can see Ruby riding Vautour. That he has it in writing that he leads first circuit. Otherwise he should clearly ride Djakadam if he is remotely sober.

Last edited:
I expect Ruby to ride Vautour facing backwards over the first half-dozen; reciting James Joyce for the edification of the assembled jockey-masses. After stopping for a dump and a cup of tea by the Water Jump (second circuit), I expect him to change swiftly back into his race-silks, rejoinder the race with a quick "Giddy-up", collect the leaders jumping three-out, and canter to victory side-saddle, whilst tootling on a French Horn.

I would expect Ruby to be slurring his words if he rides Vautour.

The trip was clearly short enough. A blunder then blocked. He ran on well. I can see the Cheltenham point to a degree.
Judging him on his KG is harsh considering he probably would have won when things hadn't gone well. Deserves credit for sticking at it.
Surely only the ones who backed him think that Don Cossack would have won the KG. It's certainly a possible but 'probably' is a step too far for me. Phil Smith has him running to 170 and is confident that DC wouldn't have won while admitting that Noel O'Brien thinks he would. At the prices I'm happy to be proved wrong but DC just doesn't figure in my Gold Cup reckoning.

They won't waste Don Cossack as a pace-maker, and Don Poli won't be able to go the pace. RTR you reckon goes to Ryanair, which leaves Giggi with Valseur Lido, who may have Jacques Ricou on top....a man so clueless about Cheltenham pace, he managed to get Jair Du Cochet beaten by a boat like One Knight.
Don't forget they've got Don Poli and First Lieutenant, neither of which could win, but could do a job.

edit. I meant Sir des Champs not Don Poli.

Last edited:
Surely only the ones who backed him think that Don Cossack would have won the KG. It's certainly a possible but 'probably' is a step too far for me. Phil Smith has him running to 170 and is confident that DC wouldn't have won while admitting that Noel O'Brien thinks he would. At the prices I'm happy to be proved wrong but DC just doesn't figure in my Gold Cup reckoning.

It is clearly debatable but he had just gathered CC. From side on he was actually going better than some think. But yes we'll never know.
I can understand your Gold Cup stance. You have to form a view and go from there. Can't back em all.

Mine neither. Lacks a gear change at the top level, and needs to jump like Denman or Coneygree to compensate. The KG showed he can't.

At the start of the season, the trainer insisted RTR was being trained for one race all season (unlike last season): the Gold Cup. I'm not saying he will win but he has to be taken very seriously.

Actually I couldn't have him at all for the KG, didn't see what all the fuss was about. Now he's top of my list for the Gold Cup. I know it's easy to slag Cooper at the moment but it would actually be a plus for me if he chose Don Poli.

I expect Ruby to ride Vautour facing backwards over the first half-dozen; reciting James Joyce for the edification of the assembled jockey-masses. After stopping for a dump and a cup of tea by the Water Jump (second circuit), I expect him to change swiftly back into his race-silks, rejoinder the race with a quick "Giddy-up", collect the leaders jumping three-out, and canter to victory side-saddle, whilst tootling on a French Horn.

Do they take the water jump twice in the Ryanair?

This is something Chappers mentioned last week regards him and Don Poli. Emm interesting.

It'd be a brave man who saved the hood for a Gold Cup. Could be wrong, but I can't think of any previous examples of a horse winning a Gold Cup in a first time hood.

I'm not convinced Don Cossack needs it either. A couple of sticky jumps as the pace increased didn't help him at Kempton, and in all his races last season there was no sign whatsoever a hood was required.

Don Poli on the other hand races lazily so he might improve for it, but you want to see him race with it before you pitched him into the Gold Cup. To be honest though he just looks an out and out stayer who gets caught for toe.

Last edited:
You're right he did Reet. Two very poor runs prior to Festival and Nicholls put them on. Wen to off a big price too. I'd take the same 16/1 Don Cossack with or without the blinkers anytime!

Something that occurs to me. Is Holywell a forlorn hope at 33/1? I thought he made a couple of errors at key times last year and McLernon rushed him up to stay in touch both times. Even so he was one of only four that could go with Coneygree. It's unlikely there'll be such a searching pace this time and he's a better horse on a typical Festival going. He loves Prestbury Park and he perfectly fits the profile of the usual horse that hits the frame at a big price.

I'm almost convincing myself to have a small dabble at the price. The only thing holding me back is not knowing what plans are and where they plan to prep.

Based on his runs so far this season I'd agree, but that doesn't totally surprise with Jonjo, and he's a significantly better horse around Cheltenham.

I'm looking for some value in the market, and watched last years Gold Cup back. For those that like Djakadam with a clear round and better quicker going he wouldn't be far away. Returners that have run well without winning often repeat next time and get overlooked in the market. He's the only one at a price that fits the profile.

Based on his runs so far this season I'd agree, but that doesn't totally surprise with Jonjo, and he's a significantly better horse around Cheltenham.

Didn't look that way in last year's Gold Cup. I wouldn't back him if you moved the decimal-point two places to the right.

At the start of the season, the trainer insisted RTR was being trained for one race all season (unlike last season): the Gold Cup. I'm not saying he will win but he has to be taken very seriously.

This day and age the total silence from Meade about a number of his horses is really frustrating. One has to take it on the chin as he has previous with being very unreliable getting his horses to the Festival.

Didn't he have a minor setback after the Clonmel Oils Chase. I thought Meade said he was hoping to have him back in time to get a prep run in before the Festival.

Back