2016 Gold Cuppin

Very smart perfomance from Djakadam.

He isn't one I have particularly taken to - mainly because I've been pumped every time I've taken him on since the Hennessy - but he is a class act. I probably* need to be a bit more objective about him.

It is shaping to be the best Gold Cup in years.

* Definitely.

Very smart perfomance from Djakadam.

He isn't one I have particularly taken to - mainly because I've been pumped every time I've taken him on since the Hennessy - but he is a class act. I probably* need to be a bit more objective about him.

It is shaping to be the best Gold Cup in years.

* Definitely.

Considering his trainer couldn't get him fit enough for the Hennessy first time up last year, and over a distance well short of his best, today's was a massive run and I'd be surprised if he doesn't prove a better horse this season.

Henrietta Knight was at Punchestown yesterday and told WPM that Djakadam would win 2016 Gold Cup (for what it is worth )

Giggi could have four horses in Gold Cup at this rate; has another owner ever had as many prospects in a given season ?

Makes me think WPM will send Vautour to the Ryanair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope they all turn up but has there ever been such a strong potential line up...

Djakadam
Coneygree
Vautour
Don Dossack
Don Poli
Smad Place
SDC
CC
Road to Riches

Al Ferof?

Vautour will go to the Gold Cup when he wins the King George - no question.

Yeah I don't think he'll be found wanting in the King George. If he's beaten it won't be by far. I don't think he'll be one to patently not stay.

I'm holding off on any ante-post bets myself. I'm thinking about how he is apparently tough to get fit. Needs a lot of working. I have a niggly feeling if the prep doesn't go exactly to schedule they'll pull him.

All of Vautors exceptional performances have been left handed though, I don't think he is as good going right handed, so he may well get beat at Kempton.

All of Vautors exceptional performances have been left handed though, I don't think he is as good going right handed, so he may well get beat at Kempton.

Agree with that. I don't think too many of his supporters for the Gold Cup will be disappointed if he gets beat around Kempton. It won't do his price any harm and he's a different animal around Cheltenham. I think Cue Card will win the King George and therefore start favourite in March.

Cue Card isn't at his best right handed either. He's a chronic price for Kempton.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

Henrietta Knight was at Punchestown yesterday and told WPM that Djakadam would win 2016 Gold Cup (for what it is worth )

Giggi could have four horses in Gold Cup at this rate; has another owner ever had as many prospects in a given season ?

Did she say why?

Cue Card isn't at his best right handed either. He's a chronic price for Kempton.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

There is some cash around for him all the same. I can't see past Don Cossack but you'd want to be taking the 3/1 now rather than 9/4 or less on the day.

Last edited:
7/1 Djakadam looks quite a good price to me at this stage.

I've some doubts about most of the rest. Coneygree's season hasn't gone to play and it's hard to win it twice. Don Cossack might not be a Cheltenham horse. Vautour might not stay and could end up in the Ryanair. Don Poli is lazy and might not keep up.

All in all 7/1 looks pretty decent for a horse that's run well in the race before, is certain to be aimed at it and looks better than ever this season.

Good to see Slim has finally consented to get his finger out of his rear-end.

Coneygree should be clear fave for this, I reckon. The comeback performance was superb, and as long as he gets over his minor injury, then I think he has least questions to answer of them all. Much as I love the horse, if I was laying any of the top six in the betting at this stage, it would probably be Vautour, as everything else is proven over at least 3m.....though I will think differently after he has won the King George. ;)

Back