2016 Gold Cuppin

Henrietta Knight was at Punchestown yesterday and told WPM that Djakadam would win 2016 Gold Cup (for what it is worth )

Giggi could have four horses in Gold Cup at this rate; has another owner ever had as many prospects in a given season ?
No horse has come back to win the gold cup having being beaten in the race previously.
Not counting Kauto when he took back his crown!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's going back a bit but The Fellow was beaten in the GC three times before landing it in 1994 and I think Cool Ground ran in 1991 before winning in 1992. See More Business also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

besides how can Kauto qualify to that stat when he already won it? The stat is stupid regardless.. Djakadam is a young horse who'll improve, he could easily go past Coneygree, only The Don may stand in his way this time around.

Have a listen to the final furlong podcast recorded a couple of months ago. The one which has Patrick mullins on there for an hour an a half discussing all of his dad's horses.
It's a good listen.
Listen around 30 minutes for the djakadam talk. They mention that particular stat there.

Don't shoot the messenger!

I heard that too. The only interest I took from the comment was how Closutton are using stats for placing horses. I had a fairly substantial debate with young Patrick many moons ago which is why I found it interesting. One or two on here may actually remember it.

The stat in it's own right I felt was meaningless in this case for exactly the reason Aughex states.

But as Viking points out the stat is absolute bollox! Three horses have done it in the last 25 years, not including Kauto. Last year everyone was quoting the novice stat, even using it to criticise the trainer for having the temerity to run Coneygree. Stats can be useful it certain circumstances but I wouldn't be using that erroneous one to discount Djakadam.

Have a listen to the final furlong podcast recorded a couple of months ago. The one which has Patrick mullins on there for an hour an a half discussing all of his dad's horses.
It's a good listen.
Listen around 30 minutes for the djakadam talk. They mention that particular stat there.

Don't shoot the messenger!

fair enough but unless a stat has some very sound logic behind it then it is compeltely meaningless. The majority of stats are just that

i remember one poster years back arguing that finishing second in the kgv was better form for winning the gc because of "stats". He should have been sectioned

Podcast recorded a month ago.........Mullins said Djakadam was very fat, hard to get fit (struggled to get fit for last years hennessey).......made a mistake at the water in Gold Cup but beaten fair an square.........only 6 could improve but feels last years gold cup may have been his chance.

"I haven't ruled him out of the Lexus, but if he was going to run, I'd need to be stepping him up."I quite like the option at Cheltenham in January, as it gives him an extra month.
"I've been very happy with him since the Durkan.
"Most of them were really three-milers over two and a half miles, but he was most impressive."

I'd love to run Don Poli in a National."I think it's great what Phil Smith (BHA head of handicapping) and Aintree have done with the race.
"They get criticised by some for what they've done to the fences, but if you look what they've done to the race compared to where it was, they've done an unbelievable job.
"I think it's great the way he (Smith) compresses the weights and I wish they would do it with more of the staying chases.
"It's hard enough giving a stone and more away on good ground, never mind in mid-winter on very soft ground."

Does anyone think there is a chance Vautour could go down the Ryanair route if he doesn't see out the trip in the King George? Or is Gold cup irrespective of what happens at Kempton?

It'll have to look really obvious because they have the ready made excuses that he prefers going left handed, and that Ricci's horses are all trained to peak in the spring.

Last edited:
Does anyone think there is a chance Vautour could go down the Ryanair route if he doesn't see out the trip in the King George? Or is Gold cup irrespective of what happens at Kempton?

It's possible, but he would need to bomb pretty badly you'd think in KG for them to reassess

His presence in the Ryanair kills my nice possie on Apache Stronghold stone dead. Don't want him to win at Kempton but would like an encouraging run.

Is Apache to run in the Lexus?

I've heard or read nowt since Noel said he would miss the Durkan because of a slight setback and they were looking towards Christmas time with him. Logically I would think he wouldn't want to overface him in a monstrous Grade 1 after a less than ideal prep.

Be mad not to but I am not convinced he'd have beaten Don Cossack had he stood up.

Just watched it again and DC was a length down at the 3rd last but actually took off a fraction before Cue Card at the 2nd last when he came down.

Not really fair to say Vautour didn't stay either..the horse was beaten bu a nostril and 3 miles at Kempton at speed takes some getting.

Has WPM indicated where he goes? I would let him take his chance in the Gold Cup because that Djackadam won't be winning it imo

Huh

Explain please why Djakadam won't be winning?

Because I think they rate him as the 3rd string hence no King George no Lexus pack him off to the easiest one to win like he did with On His Own last season.

Did really well to finish 2nd last season but my own feeling is that was a one off and he'll never win a Gold Cup as long as his ass is pointing to the rear

Back