2016 Gold Cuppin

Gold Cuppin

Surely The Ryanair rather than The Gold Cup for Road To Riches after that?

I hope so for the sake of my AP portfolio which took a battering today with defeats for P&C Bellshill and Ivan but not sure there's anything clear on R2R festival target after today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
all that today has done for RTR is give him one hell of a blow..it matters not what trip he stays..he wouldn't have won today ridden near that pace..its actually told us nothing about him. We know he can run to near on winning a GC at a strong pace..but there is strong pace..and bloody daft pace...even Coneygree would have been walking late on in that attrition today. Horse was burned out by time they turned in...only thing that stopped him finishing next to on her own..is the fact..he's a very good horse

it wouldn't put me off running him in teh GC that is for sure

if you had a guineas horse and ran a mile trial race..and run it at 5f pace for the whole race..and it got beat..it wouldn't really be a surprise would it?..Frankel apart obviously

today..the other on pace horse OHO got beat 66 lengths..RTR only 12

Last edited:
He's met some decent horses in his time has R2R. Coneygree, Don Cossack twice, Sizing Europe and Djakadam so he's had some good chances to prove he's got the class to win a gold Cup but the problem is he's lost every time.

I agree today's conditions were tough but surely having one 6 times or so in Heavy and soft ground that should not be an excuse.

You know if you look back at a last season's Gold Cup this seasons looks different class.

What were we saying about Franking form :lol:

IMVHO it probably won't matter a jot where they run R2R in March I simply can't see him winning at Cheltenham.

i wouldn't dismis him just on the run today..that would be strange seeing as the horse didn't have an earthly chance of winning it..but yes he is looking a bridesmaidy type

if he ran in GC..he would be one that presses pace and then have summat run by him late on probably

Mullins left himself some wiggle-room, but he suggested today he would rather train Vautour for the Gold Cup, than for a prep run.

I reckon he will go straight there now.

Last edited:
Today was maybe a bit of a missed opportunity, as I think Vautour would have pulled that field apart, but trust that Willie knows best.

I agree Frankel.

Fans of Vautour; ask yourselves how many doubtful stayers have won a Cheltenham Gold Cup ?

Would you consider Cue Card a genuine three miler?

How many King George winners have failed to stay in the Gold Cup ?

Remember that in 2015 Thursday had the quickest going all week and Friday the slowest after less than 12mm rain.

Today was maybe a bit of a missed opportunity, as I think Vautour would have pulled that field apart, but trust that Willie knows best.

Winners of todays race have a bad record for repeating at Cheltenham so probably best missed as far as you're concerned.

I can see why they do considering how much it must take out of them.

Plenty of horses - particularly second-season chasers - run in the Gold Cup never having been over 3m2f, Eddie.

It's just not that unusual a scenario for many in the field to go to Cheltenham previously untested at the trip - mainly because the only target race at the same trip is the Hennessy. This doesn't make them all doubtful stayers - it just means that they have been sent to other targets over 3m, of which there are several at that point in the calendar (Nicholson, Charlie Hall, Betfair Chase etc).

Clearly, many take the view that Vautour won't get home, based on the finish of the KG. That's fair enough. As I've previously said, I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding stamina, and the further improvement I expect him to show at Cheltenham, may render the stamina issue irrelevant anyway.

:cool:

Last edited:
kauto was who springs to instantly when that was asked. the gold cup trip never suited him and the very definition of not staying is a distance taking away a horses ability to run to their optimum. and the gold cup did that for KS yet to his credit he still managed to bag two of them.

he was a freak though. can vautour be the same? it's possible. i cant get ruby's reaction after the jlt out of my head. he was speechless. you get the feeling he felt like was sat on something of similar ability but he has to go and prove it and him not getting the job done at xmas doesn't bode too well.

the other issue is i think he's facing harder opponents at the distance than KS ever did. aside from the one time he faced a peak denman and got obliterated.

Last edited:
To be fair James, Kauto was beaten before trip was even an issue for me. I thought game up on first circuit, though to be fair he stuck at it. So to be beaten only 7 lengths was incredible.

Last edited:
It's amazing that as good as Vautour is he's always come into Cheltenham with question marks and has been a cracking price in hindsight. Although I've ignored those doubters in previous years I have faith in EC's figures and my eye this time around.

It is also entirely possible that palm will meet forehead when he scoots up the hill yet again.

Last edited:
Denman did to KS what Frankel did to Canford Cliffs.

I could have believed that if I didn't think Kauto was beaten before he was asked a question.

Fact remains on the day Denman was worthy winner. But I also had it down as Kauto's bravest as I think he just didn't fire.

Yes, because he was taken out of his comfort zone.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

Are we really going to do this again? :lol:

Kauto was never travelling after the fourth fence that day - long before comfort zones were an issue.

As was said earlier, to finish where he did that day was a Herculean effort.

Back