2016 Gold Cuppin

Thats a fair point DO..but at courses where i time from the first fence..and have historical records like Kempton,,, I adjust the standards to suit that distance..therefore my going allowances are then not affected by the changes to the starts..its always the same distance. Its another advantage of timing from the first fence..rather than the start

Okey-dokey :)

I tell you what, I've been watching a lot of old Racing vids recently and if they had a KG now like they did in '84 Twitter would explode. Three horses, no atmosphere in the stands. Flat racing was the better version of the sport in those days - I think the jumps took over in the early 2000s

Last edited:
Talking about Danoli. The book about him is a really good read that I'd recommend. I've got it on the shelf somewhere and I might give it another spin.

I tell you what, I've been watching a lot of old Racing vids recently and if they had a KG now like they did in '84 Twitter would explode. Three horses, no atmosphere in the stands. Flat racing was the better version of the sport in those days - I think the jumps took over in the early 2000s
I was there Euro as a 15yr old after persuading my dad to drop me off and then pick up an hour after the last! Went home skint after lumping on the Boroughill /Wayward lad straight forc :(

Gold Cuppin

Was danoli the Irish version?

Ah Danoli, what a horse. The peoples champion. Bred just a few short miles from my home house by Willie Austin in Co. Tipperary. I remember him fondly because as a young fella Willie would often walk him through the village regularly before Dan O Neill* bought him. We would be allowed pet him and he was the apple of his breeders eye, a lovely horse with a small white star on his Head. When he was sold it was the talk of the village because Willie reckoned he was special and so it turned out.

He got the name Danoli because of Dan and his daughter Olivia, first 3 letters of each name. I think I had my first bet on a horse when Danoli raced in a Naas bumper, the whole village was on. I must have been no more than 10. He had a great career and we followed it almost religiously throughout, the connection made as an unraced 3 year old holding fast. The whole country took to him and he was idolised. He won at the festival in '94, a Sun Alliance novice hurdle and then 2 Aintree Hurdles followed. When he won the '95 edition he raced with a broken fetlock joint for the last few furlongs but carried Charlie Swan (born less than a mile from where Danoli was born) to victory ignoring the pain. They're the kind of traits that took him inside peoples hearts.

Thankfully I got to see him again at the National stud in Kildare before he was put to sleep after a bad dose of Colic in '06. He had struck up a great friendship with Vintage Crop in those paddocks, 2 legends of the game and the staff there would speak after of how depressed VC got after Danoli's death.

*Dan O' Neill is a remarkable man. He is approaching his 90th year now and still operates as a bone setter from his Co. Carlow base. He treats animals and humans, without medical qualifications of any kind. He sees it as a gift from God and I know someone who visited him recently to have back pain sorted out. While he was waiting to be seen there were 8 other humans, 2 dogs and a horse in his box all in line. Everyone that visits Dan asks about Danoli and he tells the story as if it was his first time. A unique character to say the least.
fd2a3f44866b179e5ea68519ae4cb813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Started favourite for a Gold Cup as well. Beating Jodami (Dwyer lost his whip) at Leopardstown took a bit of doing.

Don't entirely agree I was at a number of kgvs in the eighties and that wasnt the quite the case. But agree that jumps has no taken over in many respects. Rightly so

Last edited:

I've been punting since 1970 (apart from bets in the Grand National in the years before that).

I honestly do not recall the Flat ever being the better version of the sport despite the presence of Sea Bird, Nijinsky, Brigadier Gerard, Mill Reef etc etc in that era.

Last edited:
Ridden hundreds of horses mainly race horses and you cant stick a clock on what they do.

I dont care if someone wastes his life writing meaningless shite to get attention drawn to himself..its a useless passtime

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Take good to soft ground...unless you have ridden a horse on such you wouldnt have a clue how it affects different horses bc there is good to soft and good to soft and the difference is madsive

isn't this stuff getting tedious everyday?

every other day it seems i have to be the target for a verbal mauling

i'm sick of it..would any of you guys enjoy it if it were you?

I ain't posted on this thread today and straight off he is at it

its not acceptable this

Last edited:
Anyone remember Albertas Run... i had a discussion with Jonjo about why his form was so different on the same recorded going. He told me that good to soft drying out to some horses takes more out of a horse than heavy ground and some just dont act on it, because its like glue. Goos to soft ground that was good yesterday is not taxing and easy to go through..
Anyone who doubts what I am saying go ask a jockey..

So how can someone not knowing all the fact come to a conclusion worth anything ?.
. Pros have tried for centuries to beat the book using time and they end up broke....phil bull realised the best way to make money was to bullshit to all then sell timeform to the 100 of thousands of mug punters out there........i don't want someone fill my head full of numbers just tell me what effin horse will win and why.....cc v long run don't mean **** and if that makes me unpopular fu all

Last edited:
Well said, DO. I've only been punting since the early-nineties, and it hasn't even been close in all that time.

I'm not having that:D My punting life started in the late 80s so we started at a similar time. IMO the flat was better in those days than it is now, the jumps worse and in the early 2000s they crossed over.

And it doesn't just come down to opinions, the Festival is monumentally better and bigger. The foot and mouth thing in 2001, the thing is too big to be cancelled nowadays, it'd just get postponed a few weeks.

isn't this stuff getting tedious everyday?

every other day it seems i have to be the target for a verbal mauling

i'm sick of it..would any of you guys enjoy it if it were you?

I ain't posted on this thread today and straight off he is at it

its not acceptable this
Totally agree...but it seems he is the sole fount of all equine knowledge. Ignore him.

Maybe it's just down to personal taste.

I'd really struggle to remember the names of certain winners of big Flat races but reckon I wouldn't be too bad at the jumps races.

I think the improvement of the festival is down to the better drainage. Time was you could almost guarantee it was going to be run in a bog. Nowadays that would be quite rare.

Thats the problem..no one is the sole founder of all equine knowledge but the minute anyone questions ec and his ideas out come the clique..
..you ass sucker

Last edited:
I don't believe in the ignore button DO..if people can't talk properly to each other on a forum.,,then i personally ain't bothered about that forum.

with the torrent of insults i have to put up with from this fool..there is no pleasure in reading or taking part..i know for a fact others here wouldn't tolerate it..so i'm not going to either

Last edited:
Why would we question something that works for him Tanlic? And why would we constantly be sniping because he's prepared to post his opinions and figures?

Some of your opinions are completely bizarre at times, but do all and sundry start piling into you? To be honest I'm surprised they don't given how quick you are to dish it out every day.

Last edited:
Back