2018 Gold Cuppin'

I just think BDM is currently nigh on unbeatable over Haydock's 3m when the mud is flying but while I accept that his impressive course wins have come in a novice chase and a handicap I don't particularly rate last years bunch of staying chasers.

I don't doubt that CC still impresses them at home every day........but then again, it's going to look that way, if you only view him through rose-tinted spectacles.

It's not wholly-conclusive that the horse is in terminal decline, but his last few races very-much (to this observer, at any rate) show that he is some level of decline. Given what he has done for connections, and the self-evident risk of sending the horse out in a hotter race, after falling twice in his last three runs, I really would prefer it if they just retired him.

If they must go to the well again, there's no harm in changing the jockey, just to see if it makes any difference. I don't think this is a jocking-off, per se, as Brennan himself only got the ride relatively recently. It smacks more of a change-up for a last hurrah, to me.

I don't doubt that CC still impresses them at home every day........but then again, it's going to look that way, if you only view him through rose-tinted spectacles.

It's not wholly-conclusive that the horse is in terminal decline, but his last few races very-much (to this observer, at any rate) show that he is some level of decline. Given what he has done for connections, and the self-evident risk of sending the horse out in a hotter race, after falling twice in his last three runs, I really would prefer it if they just retired him.

If they must go to the well again, there's no harm in changing the jockey, just to see if it makes any difference. I don't think this is a jocking-off, per se, as Brennan himself only got the ride relatively recently. It smacks more of a change-up for a last hurrah, to me.

Not sure Paddy would see it that way. Timing - a few days after a fall in a high profile race - is telling surely.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but jockeys are surely hardened to such things? It's an occupational hazard.

It's generally only the likes of people on forums and SM that make a drama out of such matters.

For one, Djakadam in Soft ground over Haydock's 3m would be a very stern test indeed for BdM; something that might equally apply to EoD, if he showed anything like his Irish Gold Cup form (imo).

Native River already boast a comfortable victory over BdM at the trip on Soft ground (winning just under 4L conceding 1lb), and with fewer chase runs under his belt, is likely more progressive anyway. Minella Rocco is a dour-stayer who I would expect to dead-heat with a tortoise over 3m.

The tactics on bdm were all wrong that day.

Betfair Chase has been increased in distance to almost 3m2f. That significantly changes the nature of the event, imo.

Errrrm - It didn't the last time they chnged it; to 3m 1f.
<dl class="userinfo_extra" style="margin: 5px 0px; float: left; width: 180px; height: auto !important;">
<dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">
</dd></dl>

https://www.racingpost.com/news/more...creased/308002

This report states they have increased the race distance by one-and-a-half furlongs. The 2016 race was also registered as being run over 3m last season, both in the RP database and Chasers & Hurdlers.

If you can produce some evidence that contradicts these sources, I’d obviously love to see it.​

Last edited:
Taking Kirkland Tellwright's track record into consideration it might actually be a 3 mile race this year. :whistle:

It must be a completely new starting point, then.

The official distances are:

2m 6f 204y on the Inner Course (the next race trip 3m 3f 75y)
3m 24y (from the 'old' trip of "3m abt 1f") (the next trip up is 3m 4f 97y) on the Lancashire Course

So it looks like the new trip is as specified in the RP item.

Then again, as Maruco says, we're dealing with Tellwrong here.

<dl class="userinfo_extra" style="margin: 5px 0px; float: left; width: 180px; height: auto !important;">
<dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">
</dd></dl>

https://www.racingpost.com/news/more...creased/308002

This report states they have increased the race distance by one-and-a-half furlongs. The 2016 race was also registered as being run over 3m last season, both in the RP database and Chasers & Hurdlers.

If you can produce some evidence that contradicts these sources, I’d obviously love to see it.​

RP analysis Nov. 2013

With the steeplechase fences at this meeting placed on the Flat course, this race was run over a furlong further than in previous years. A real early-season treat and by far the most competitive running of this Grade 1 prize. Predictably they went a solid gallop and it saw a cracking three-way finish, with CUE CARD emerging on top at the business end.
Nicky Henderson: "I always suspected this wasn't the ideal race for Bobs Worth. Even though it was on the outside track it was still more of a speed test and the result showed that. We'll consider the Lexus ad there's the race at Cheltenham at the end of January." :)

It was advertised and designated as a 3m 1f race, but it's since been generally accepted as nothing like the distance Kirkland Tellwright called it.

Last edited:
Was a decent round and a decent intro. Normally I would say that's a long way off winning a King george but his Kauto Star chase performance says differently.

Yes it was a nice start. He put some decent yardsticks away easily. What impressed most was his jumping.

That was impressive but I really like the way he put so much distance between him and the rest when he was stoked along. It takes him a few strides to find top gear but once he does he covers an astonishing amount of ground.

Back