2018 Gold Cuppin'

Is it really....6 of his 9 wins came before the turn of the year and only once in the spring

As soon as the big boys come out he wins just about zero

He has won 2 other races by huge distances and fooled people into thinking he's top class...he is simply an early sort who beats horses not yet in full flow.

I suggested before the race on the Newbury thread that Tizzard may be a creature of habit.

He certainly didn't have Fox Norton fit on his comeback race behind Altior and this looks like history repeating itself

I assume you're not being serious Granger?

In what sense?

no chance he wins a gold cup.

at his peak last season, he got beaten fair and square at Cheltenham by a lovely horse but short of top quality.

Wouldnt have beating Sizing John either.

throw in YorkHill and MB this year, see you later

The jury is out on whether he is gone (i suspect he is) but one thing that today worried me is just how little he finds off the bridle.
His cruising speed, at his best, means its moot, but when push comes to shove he doesnt find much.
I would suspect that he wouldn't win a gold cup on the bridle.

I was one of the first to say Thistlecrack was being overrated buy I actually like the way he travelled today until lack of fitness set in/

Our old friend Many Clouds beat him fair and square but that is no reason to rule him out of the big one.

Many Clouds when things were in his favour would beat most but lets not forget when this race was.

It took place in Jan after he had won the King George and if Colin Tizzard is the trainer we know he is he would have been let down after the KG and brought back to near fitness for the race in Jan.

He most certainly wouldn't be the 110% needed for Cheltenham. I think ruling him out now is foolhardy. The King george will tell us much more.

Might Bite is just about everyone's idea of the winner but this is not Whisper this is a class above so he still has top prove himself and Sizing John meets new opposition so it is all guesswork at the moment

First day out or not, there is a new generation here and Thistle isn't even a young horse in any case. i thought he was overrated last season anyway but am confident he wouldn't have beaten Sizing John.

i have made a lot of fun of MB over the last few weeks (mostly to try rise Grass) but I cannot in any planet or with any set of rose tinted glasses see thistle lay a hoof on him at Kempton.

See Noel mentioning the KG for Disko if all goes well in the JD too

I can see your angle from previous runs but I think it was obvious to all that today was nothing but a prep run. The way he ran today screamed lack of fitness and I'd be very confident he'll be twice the horse at Kempton. Might Bite will be a tough nut to crack admittedly but there's been a massive overreaction based on what Thistlecrack did today.

I heard Tizzard said beforehand that Thistlecrack was very fit and ready to go so don't think they thought of this as merely a prep. Regardless, I don't see why some like to bring the horse down after a bad run, its annoying to read aftertimers, Tanlic - 'I was one of the first to say Thistlecrack was being overrated' and granger - ' i thought he was overrated last season', when just few pages back they were placing him on the KG shortlist...

I am getting throroughly sick of your stupid posts and personal attack WANKER.

Go back to before the King George he won and even further back and you will find posts like this from 19th Dec last year.

I've been having problem with my computer so missed out on the news...........Gobsmacked!!!!! but it seems Colin Tizzard left it to the owners....I wonder if he smacked his head off a wall when they said they wanted to run him:0)

With Josses Hill now running it makes it very interesting the way he has jumped this season. If Thistlecrack wants to be taking the sting out of Cue card's tail he's going to have to take Josses Hill on fairly early and he won't find that easy. Way too easy for a novice to be caught out so I just have to stick with Cue Card.

Cue Card even as a novice ran 2nd to a future Gold Cup winner in Bobsworth and filled the same position behind Sprinter Sacre. Thistlecrack has raced against no hopers only so this is a massive step up in class.

We are now talking Cue Card the Ryanair and King George winner against top class animals and imo in a different league to the novice who has never beaten anything of note in his life. Pitzig I suppose but look where he finished against Harry

Her indoors needs the kitchen sink but I shall be having some of the family jewels on Cue Card.............a forecast on him and Josses Hill and a place lay on Thistlecrack on the day

Eggs at the ready guys :0)

Now **** off and die......stronger letter to follow

Talk of Thistlecrack being a has been after yesterday's race is complete madness. He pulled like a train for half the race and clearly blew up.

Also citing the Many Clouds race as evidence that he was never good enough anyway is also crazy talk. Many Clouds was a 166 horse who ran the race of his lifetime (quite literally), and at the same time Thistlcrack suffered a season ending injury. It would take a brave man to use that as evidence that he wasn't a credible Gold Cup candidate.

My concern with Thistlecrack is not yesterday's opener over hurdles or Cheltenham back in January, it's his inexperience combined with his novicey jumping. Something which in particular with the King George in mind will be tested to the absolute limit by Mite Bite.

But seriously guys, writing him off on the back of yesterday's race is one of the worst over reactions I've seen on here.

haha Tanlic, just before he won the KG you said his trainer was out of his mind? :lol: He then confirmed he was a top class horse by winning the KG.

You confirmed you changed your mind about him, last month you said this:
Considering it's worth the same money as the King George and there will be no Douvan or Thistlecrack to contend with then his decision is hard to understand.

So were you yesterday saying he's overrated or last month saying he's a worthy adversary in the KG? Make up your mind.

Oh and the feeling is mutual, as I said I'm annoyed reading aftertimers.

As I said on the other thread, if SFP wins today's race as I hope he won't be 100/1 for the Gold Cup (whether it would be a serious target or not) so I've reinvested some of my expected winnings :p ew at the price.

I've also taken 25/1 Coneygree. He's my main back-up bet for today and if he did the seemingly-unthinkable and defied top weight in the hottest handicap chase of the year he'll end up disputing favouritsm for the Gold Cup but even just a really good run would make 25/1 look too big. He's off 165, after all, having gone up to 172 for winning the Gold Cup. Denman won his second Hennessy after being dropped 7lbs.

Back