2018 Gold Cuppin'

Yorkhill doesn't have a future at 3 miles.on that evidence according to Mullins.

Champion Chase? Champion Hurdle?

You want to forget most of what you saw today

My worry as I mentioned before was that if Yorkhill was spot on why run here against the Gold Cup winner rather than take on a young upstart at Kempton.

That run today was not one of a non stayer that was the run of a horse who got very very tired and could hardly get over the last fence.

If he'd have been still there with a winning chance and got run out of it half way up the run in you could say he didn't stay but not when he's beaten fully a 1/2 mile from home after making a right blunder

For a long way he had a lot of them on the back foot and if they ran this again in 3 weeks I reckong he'd run the lot of them into the ground.

Another point is that way too many of Mullins horses are running like drains? Started off ok but then it's like 1 winner from about 25 horses
with only 1/2 dozen in double figures.

Stable is having a bad spell no denying that

But for Mullins to say he 'probably doesn't have a future at 3m, back to the drawing board' that's good enough for me write off his GC chances. He still finished behind Sizing John who came back needing a vet.

Glaringly obvious to me that he's a 2 mile horse that you can get 2 and half out of.

To say he'll stay 3m2f and up the Cheltenham hill is absurd. Hence the prices all the bookies are offering.

Yorkhill was ridden today as if stamina wasn’t an issue......or that they were determined to find out if it was.

Either way, he wouldn’t have been ridden the way he was, imo, if there were any concerns about his fitness, and I’d be prepared to take Mullins at face-value, insofar as future trips are concerned i.e. significantly dropped back in distance.

Options for a Festival prep over fences seem limited, as the Kinloch Brae, Ascot Chase, Red Mills (all 2m4f), and the Tied Cottage (2m) are all on right-handed courses. I can’t see where he can run beforehand over fences, and they might stick him in the ICH, allowing Faugheen to go to Cheltenham a fresh horse.

Last edited:
i don't think it was the plan grass. he ran with the choke out early and got himself to the front. townend probably decided to let him do what he wants rather than try restraining him which could have made things even worse. mullins has said post race he probably doesn't have a future in long distance race and it's back to the drawing board.

With Nichols Canyon losing his life today I wouldn't be surprised to see Yorkhill turn up in The Stayers.

i don't think it was the plan grass. he ran with the choke out early and got himself to the front. townend probably decided to let him do what he wants rather than try restraining him which could have made things even worse. mullins has said post race he probably doesn't have a future in long distance race and it's back to the drawing board.

Yep, you might be right, James......though it’s probably academic, if Mullins is to believed (usual caveats apply).

Rest of my post still stands. If they are writing him off as a stayer, there are very few options to get him a chase start between now and Cheltenham over shorter trips, though (and I overlooked this first time) they could always use the Game Spirit as a prep, if they didn’t mind travelling him, and want a look at 2 miles.

With Nichols Canyon losing his life today I wouldn't be surprised to see Yorkhill turn up in The Stayers.

Before 'they' were saying he could win any championship race, after another race he might prove he won't win anything at Chelt. Think CC might be the preferred route after today but little chances of beating the first 2-3 in the market(his form over 2 is v. weak) and might end up in a hot Ryanair against 2 stablemates UDS & Min.

“Sizing John is sound now and his heart was OK. Basically he got slight hyperthermia and he got too hot.”

Sizing john was sweating pre race around saddle which is not like him.
WPM had such a horrid all around that you could put a line through all his as an off day.
Met Lar Byrne ; still on ahigh after Newbury; Total Recall for Thyestes next to see if he a Gold Cup horse, WPM thinks he is still ahead of handicapper so he might be Gold Cup ew value; he has the race experience some others lack and race is at the moment anybody's.
Met up with On The Bridle looking very NH apart from the blue swede shoes !
He sends regards to all you with too much time on your bridles/ hands.

He's a pig over fences. Was losing ground at every fence today imo. Back over hurdles for sure

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Got to disagree, actually out jumped Snow Falcon over a few of them.
Think We'll see another run over the fences somewhere else before a final decision for Cheltenham.
I still fully expect him to line up in the RSA.

I certainly agree that Willie will try him again over fences. I know he fell but that was so much better than the first time.

I certainly agree that Willie will try him again over fences. I know he fell but that was so much better than the first time.

I would be a fan of the horse but don't know how you can say yesterday was so much better - he fell after looking deliberate at some fences-the in running boys on betfair had been taking him on.Talk of Grade 1's at Cheltenham is dreaming in my opinion.

Killultagh Vic runs on Sunday, I wonder what are the chances of him targeting the GC and whether to take the odds on offer now before too late :ninja:

Mullins hasn’t had a Gold Cup winner yet, despite going to war with a host of horses with vastly better credentials than KV will be able to offer.

He is a complete no-hoper, and any bets struck on the horse are taking sentimentality/hope beyond acceptable extremes, imo.

Back