2018 Gold Cuppin'

The Daily Star might be my number one racing paper but an interesting snippet on the back page yesterday.
Brian Flanagan mentioned how W P Mullins has improved Legastovegas ,Ben Button and Total Recall when getting them from other trainers, name checks Thousand Stars and believes Acapella Bourgeois at 50/1 is the Ante Post value at the moment if W P can get 14 lb improvement into him and the required soft ground March 16.

Not convinced AB has the stamina for a Gold Cup. The freak run at Navan apart, all of his best form is at around two-and-a-half miles.

One for the Ryanair, maybe?

Last edited:
Still a very young chaser, ARE NOT THEY ALL ?

He may benefit from not having a WPM beginning through bumpers and hurdles so the best may be yet to come.

All he does is gallop and jump and would be a wonderful advert for the smaller owner if Lar Byrne could bring off the magic double after Hardy ; i imagine very very few sober Irishmen coming home from The Festival, whether they had backed him or not !!!!

Different ownership - may run them both in Ryanair?

I think he is a lot quicker than most give him credit for - probably because of his big Gowran win

I think Nick it will all come down to how they manage to sort out the pack and what else from Mullins runs in the Gold Cup

Take it that Min, Great Field and Douvan wont run in the Gold Cup - i'd say 2 will run in the QM and 1 in the Ryanair

Un De Sceaux will try retain his Ryanair crown unless he looks pretty special in the KG (if he even goes there)

That leaves Yorkhill, Acapella Bourgois and Djackadam

If those 3 were to line up Ruby would be on Yorkie

So as im starting to rant now, i'll further pollute the topic by saying all being well, Ricci will prob have a runner in the 3 races

Douvan - QM

Min - Ryanair

Djackadam - GC

Yep......seems logical........they don't like to run them against each other, and Ricci has nothing else for the Gold Cup, unless Douvan is massively upped in trip, or VVM gets pointed there (both seem unlikely).

Cannot wait to see Great Field and Min back on track - even more so than seeing Douvan and Faugheen return.

It will be great to see them out and about..Can't wait, looking at today's flat cards, I never thought it possible to gather so much shite in one day.

I can't get to grips with Min and don't know what to make of him as he's never had a real test.

Hendy De Bromhead deserves a medal for place the horse he beat Ordinary World.

He has won 2 insignificant race but has run and been placed against these top novice chasers and picked up 70k

If Altior and Buveur D'Air's exploits are anything to go by, getting a handle on Min's level should be fairly easy - even over fences.

If he fails then that is where he fails imo

Altior was head and shoulders above everything that day and something had to finish 2nd..some decent horses behind but nothing to write home about got into it

Nobody knows better than Nicky what it takes to win a Supreme and he know like Sprinter he just wasn't mature enough so they rode him accordingly.

The proof is in the pudding and I think it's far to say Buveur has already proved my point.

Your turn to talk sh*ite, pal.

Min not only beat Buveur D'Air home in that Supreme, but he also finished well ahead of Petit Mouchoir (dual G1 hurdles winner in Ireland the next season), Supasundae (Festival winner over hurdles in the next season) and North Hill Harvey (went on to win Greatwood Hurdle in the next season).

Everything suggests it was a knock-out running of the Supreme.....something you would realise, if you looked past the end of your nose, and the Henderson runners.

FWIW, Timeform rate that Supreme bettered only by the 2011 running, where Spirit Son, Sprinter Sacre and Cue Card filled the places behind Al Ferof. :cool:

Last edited:
The 2016 Supreme was better overall. Nothing behind Cue Card in 2011 did anything (apart from the Mullins beast I backed that day) after.

Your turn to talk sh*ite, pal.

Min not only beat Buveur D'Air home in that Supreme, but he also finished well ahead of Petit Mouchoir (dual G1 hurdles winner in Ireland the next season), Supasundae (Festival winner over hurdles in the next season) and North Hill Harvey (went on to win Greatwood Hurdle in the next season).

Everything suggests it was a knock-out running of the Supreme.....something you would realise, if you looked past the end of your nose, and the Henderson runners.

FWIW, Timeform rate that Supreme bettered only by the 2011 running, where Spirit Son, Sprinter Sacre and Cue Card filled the places behind Al Ferof. :cool:

Behave yourself man...Tombstone neat those 3 as well and he's hardly set the word on fire.

Using horses that finish out with the washing is not allowed in the real world:cool: Wait till he beats something decent as an adult before judging him is all I am saying.

Last edited:
He beat Buveur D'Air fair-and-square in the Supreme.............your "looking after him" nonsense is conspiracy-theory cobblers, pal! :cool:

Of course, Tombstone then went on to beat Jezki two race later.....but I'm guessing that doesn't count, or was some kind of a fluke. ;)

Granger posted this on another thread:

I'd say the cute fcuker knows exactly where he is going

Mullins has yet to formulate a gameplan for Yorkhill, who features prominently in the betting for races like the Gold Cup and the Champion Hurdle.The seven-year-old has won at the last two Cheltenham Festivals and did really well to take top honours in the JLT Novices' Chase in March.
That was his fourth Grade One triumph, but plans for Yorkhill remain fluid at this stage.
Mullins said: "We haven't even started schooling him yet so whether he goes over hurdles or fences I don't know yet.
"He is in great form."

When I was there, it was fairly clear that Ruby was desperate for him to be aimed at the Gold Cup. Willie wasn't quite so sure and Wylie hadn't yet had the discussion.

I'm expecting that they will be experimenting with an impressive array of metal and leather in and around his mouth and that they will initially plan a light, left-handed chasing campaign which will culminate in him being a serious threat to Sizing John and clearly the best of last season's novices.

Last edited:
We will find out who the real boss is soon

Willie or Ruby

Wylie will be content to toe the party line

I'd send him to GC but I have fence blinkers

Keep the fcker left handed obviously too

I suspect Walsh wants Yorkhill in the Gold Cup, because Mullins doesn't have another horse he can aim at the race (Djakadam a no-hoper), and because he has plenty of options for the QMCC and Ryanair, and the CH if Faugheen comes back to his best.

Back