2021 2000 Guineas

Another one who didn’t have the clearest of routes through the traffic. He finished well, but had to work pretty hard for the win.

Stewards report:

An enquiry was held to consider interference passing the 4 furlong marker when the winner, MASTER OF THE SEAS (IRE), ridden by William Buick, interfered with THE ROSSTAFARIAN (IRE), placed fifth, ridden by Andrea Atzeni. Buick was suspended for 3 days for careless riding as he manoeuvred left-handed when insufficiently clear of THE ROSSTAFARIAN (IRE), causing Atzeni to have to take a significant check. It was noted that shortly thereafter, MASTER OF THE SEAS (IRE) shifted right-handed as a consequence of Buick correcting the colt, leaving him awkwardly placed on the heels of AKMAAM (FR), unplaced, and Buick therefore having to move MASTER OF THE SEAS (IRE) left-handed which caused THE ROSSTAFARIAN (IRE) to be further checked by Atzeni.

Last edited:
I thought it was better than it looked. He really picked up with purpose when able to and he handled the track well. I thought listening to CA afterwards, he sounded pleasantly surprised? Although One Ruler seemingly being touted as their number one, this horse has a really tough attitude and one I like a lot. Especially if my beloved Battleground goes to France (which means Ballydoyle don’t think he’s number one).

Wembley and St Mark's Basilica are taking turns shortening in the betting. Today St Mark's into 11/2.

It will be interesting to see how much Chindit comes on for today and for the step up in trip but I can't see them losing sleep at Ballydoyle.

I imagine they would be delighted if he won.
By Wotton Bassett the maternal granddam is a Galileo three parts sister to Motivator so their egg basket would fill over if this guy succeeds.
Interesting that Richard Hannon supposedly grew inches when speaking of Chindit over the winter.

Does anyone know anything about Sayf Al Dawla which holds an entry?

It's an unraced son of Frankel and Attraction so is bred to be a bit of a beast and its only two entries are this and the Derby.

Obviously it won't be able to run on Saturday as the race conditions no longer allow for debutants but I'm curious that they've maintained its entry to this point.

Peter Chapple-Hyam is nobody's fool so I'm wondering if there's some kind of back story to the horse.

Not the right thread but have backed Willow at 12/1 for the Oaks. This is the last chance to bet her at double figures.

I take it you've heard something, Slim?

I see she runs today. Backing her now - surely she should be a lot longer than 12s for the Oaks anyway - assumes a runaway win today, which is far from guaranteed (unless, as I say, you've heard something). If she doesn't win she would go longer.

Although she's out of Peeping Fawn, there's no guarantee that she'll stay either, given her dosage:

[FONT=&quot]DP = 4-3-9-2-0 (18) DI = 1.77 CD = 0.50

[/FONT]

Does anyone know anything about Sayf Al Dawla which holds an entry?

It's an unraced son of Frankel and Attraction so is bred to be a bit of a beast and its only two entries are this and the Derby.
I wish I’d realised that as I’ve had a tiny ew on at 100/1 as it fell into the why is it entered category. I did well with Makfi under that category many years ago. He’s quite a late foal I think and tend to look for early foals for the Guineas so I should have known better. Better divert a few pennies to the Derby then.
Obviously it won't be able to run on Saturday as the race conditions no longer allow for debutants but I'm curious that they've maintained its entry to this point.

Peter Chapple-Hyam is nobody's fool so I'm wondering if there's some kind of back story to the horse.

I might need a thorough head examination for suggesting this, but Aidan O Brien's outsiders do sometimes out run the odds, so I'd be interested if any money came for the 40/1 shot Millitary Style.

He only had four races last year, beating Van Gogh in one of them. He must be open to any amount of improvement or development from two to three years of age, and so worth a go nearer the time if declared. Some market support would really boost my confidence though. A case can be made for any of the market leaders, but I'll chance the outsider, Millitary Style.

Last edited:
Early foal. Won first time out. Won over 7f. Not entered over further than 8f.Lots of ticks for me.

Last edited:
Correct decision do you think? Not sure myself.

Nice ground and surely Thunder Moon has a chance. Does he see it out though!

Almost impossible to say. It doesn't strike me that there is much between them. I don't like Thunder Moon. I thought the National Stakes fell in his lap.

Almost impossible to say. It doesn't strike me that there is much between them. I don't like Thunder Moon. I thought the National Stakes fell in his lap.

Better ground could see a different result.

Thunder Moon has gears. On better ground in the Dewhurst he would have gone close. The extra furlong could find him out.

Throw the Hamdan colt in!

Better ground could see a different result.

Thunder Moon has gears. On better ground in the Dewhurst he would have gone close. The extra furlong could find him out.

Throw the Hamdan colt in!

What's better ground these days? A lot of horses seem to struggle with good.

What's better ground these days? A lot of horses seem to struggle with good.

This is a very good point. Yesterday's Naas card a good example of a meeting where the form might be worthless because so many horses didn't handle the fast going. Also rattling ground means there is a pace bias in most races, you just can't win being rode stone cold.

DO Sayf al Dawla is leased from Pheonix who are barred from having runners in UK
there are three horses in training for this lady owner which are in same position
BHA aren’t clear on whether they will allow these horses to run

Back