2021 2000 Guineas

Wembley and St Mark's Basilica are taking turns shortening in the betting. Today St Mark's into 11/2.

And today its:

One Ruler, Mutasaabeq, Chindit, Master Of The Seas and Van Gogh!!!

Last edited:
18 left in

Albadri
Battleground
Chindit
Devilwala
Legion of Honour
Lucky Vega
Mac Swiney
Master of The Seas
Military Style
Mutassaabeq
Mystery Smiles
Naval Crown
One Ruler
Poetic Flare
St Mark's Basilica
Thunder Moon
Van Gogh
Wembley

William Buick has chosen Master of The Seas over One Ruler....That should shake up the muddy market even more!

Last edited:
I would have to assume that if Buick has opted for MOTS rather than One Ruler (not seeing it reported anywhere) it must be down to a setback of some sort to the latter. The former is admirable enough but the form doesn't strike either as being up to winning a Guineas and the word seemed to be that One Ruler was making him look ordinary at home.

I suppose it's also possible One Ruler could be a morning glory.

I would have to assume that if Buick has opted for MOTS rather than One Ruler (not seeing it reported anywhere).

William Buick is to ride Godolphin colt Master Of The Seas in Saturday’s G1 QIPCO 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket.

Buick committed to the Craven Stakes winner early on Monday, leaving James Doyle to pick up the mount on stablemate One Ruler, who is set to make his seasonal debut in the first Classic of the season.

Following weeks of weighing up the relative credentials of Godolphin’s Guineas contenders, Buick went in favour of the colt already seen in action this season.

Trainer Charlie Appleby reported both colts to be in great form: “Five days out from the Guineas, I couldn’t be happier with them. One Ruler has been progressing nicely at home, while Master Of The Seas has gone to the races and put the score on the board.

“It wasn’t an easy call for William, who rode Master Of The Seas In the Craven and then sat on One Ruler in a routine gallop at Moulton Paddocks last week.

“William asked some serious questions of Master Of The Seas in his race, and he was pleased with the response. I believed that’s what clinched it in the end. Of course, the final call comes at declaration time on Thursday,” he added.

Both horses looked outstanding at exercise on Monday.

Makes it sound like there's really nothing in it.

Which is more of a negative than a positive, I'd say.

On my time ratings, MOTS's race was moderate but a horse needs speed to quicken the best off a moderate pace and there were some 100+ horses in the race.

But you need to be at least pushing 120 to win a 2000 Guineas and the most likely candidates are the Dewhurst horses (and Battleground :)).

Wembley is half the price of St Mark's Basilica on Betfair. Surely this time it knows Ryan is riding?

This from O'Brien,
"Wembley has form on both but would love fast ground, and it was on the easy side most of last year when St Mark’s Basilica ran."

Watching the racing the last few days it's amazing how many horses don't act on fast ground.

Mark Prescott is of the opinion that the excessive watering policy of recent times is breeding the ability to act on fast ground out of a large percentage of Thoroughbreds.

He could have a point.
The Charlie Hills runner out of Ghanaati should bounce off it.
I cannot get my head around the fact that Tactical does not run given he is owned by a 95 year old widow who won the race 63 years ago and will hardly be around in 63 more years, no matter how often they sing her song ..
I have no doubt that if W Haggas trained him the horse would run.

Last Guineas run on 'lightening fast' ground?

"It looks like the ground is going to be very fast in Newmarket, and we are trying to work out where to go with Battleground, Van Gogh, Wembley and St Mark’s Basilica,” said O’Brien on Monday.

Mark Prescott is of the opinion that the excessive watering policy of recent times is breeding the ability to act on fast ground out of a large percentage of Thoroughbreds.

I think Mark Johnston holds similarly strong views.

I also think they'll be working hard at Newmarket to ensure there is no jar in it, which is the fairest ground of all (imo).

I don't have any stats but I would have thought most Juddmontes, Coolemores, Godolphins, Shadwells etc would be happy on faster ground.

It's possible that some of the better 2yos who ran in softish ground will be better again on faster ground. I suppose we won't know until we know.

Back