2024 Grand National

Marb-I love Corach Rambler but the festival will surely leave its mark.Was contemplating a decent each way bet on Nassalam but someone I respect said he didn't like the fences when he last ran over them.
I think genuine soft or heavy ground gives you a serious chance as a punter and could see myself having a decent bet on the race tomorrow.Will spend a couple of hours tonight looking at the race.

Marb-I love Corach Rambler but the festival will surely leave its mark.Was contemplating a decent each way bet on Nassalam but someone I respect said he didn't like the fences when he last ran over them.
I think genuine soft or heavy ground gives you a serious chance as a punter and could see myself having a decent bet on the race tomorrow.Will spend a couple of hours tonight looking at the race.

I’ve got Nassalam in a sweepstake run by Rewards4Racing and was thinking of backing him also given the forecast but I’d have liked him to show a bit more in the GC (for all that connections are saying he can be excused as he hadn’t run since the Welsh Nash) but this comment has totally put me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got Nassalam in a sweepstake run by Rewards4Racing and was thinking of backing him also given the forecast but I’d have liked him to show a bit more in the GC (for all that connections are saying he can be excused as he hadn’t run since the Welsh Nash) but this comment has totally put me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking -I thought Tiger Roll was the place lay of the century when he first won the race.Back in the day my father refused to allow me to back Ben Nevis at 40/1.
If I really fancied any horse at a price I wouldn't allow anyone to put me off.

It is but he [CR] had an unnaturally hard race at Cheltenham.

But did he?

Didn't Russell say they'd left 'something to work on' going into the GC?

He's also a spring horse.

There's nothing to dislike about him other than 4/1.

For me, the ground will be all important. Today's wind will have helped but there seems to be plenty of rain in the forecast.

I thought that the Gold Cup would put Corach Rambler spot on but, like DO, I can't be taking 4/1 this far out particularly since I'd see 'soft' as the absolute limit for anything carrying 11-5. I feel bound to have a saver on him but my main bet is leaning more and more towards Mr Incredible who ran a mighty race at Uttoxeter.

I'm a fan of Vanillier .backed it at 40/1 when it won the Alfred barletta and in th8s race last year BUT
I've missed the bigger price and a horse that finished 2nd in the race and returned the following year have figures of F,9,U,O,U,F,P,O,U,P
A bit off putting.
Even if they left something to work on Corach rambler looked as if he was about to fall over he was that knackered and 4/1 I can let it win.
Nassalam will love the going but is he really a 161 horse.after reading what Luke said about its jumping the fences I watched its run over them and he seemed to jump left and slow at most and although he didn't look like falling and stayed on well over a trip too short it was a concern.
Mahler mission and Mr Incredible have gone on my short list but at the moment I've done
Kitty's Light a/p 25/1
Stattler 50/1 and 40/1
And I've added Galvin 33/1.

It was in my head that you were on Galvin the week the weights came out, like me, at 25/1.

I'm in Spain and can only bet via Unibet so not much chance of getting on again at the bigger price.

Luckily (maybe) I didn't.i did say I thought it was well hcapped but didn't get around to backing it.

I have it in my head that some horses mentioned have question marks against them on soft or heavy ground. Galvin and Kitty's Light, who would both have plausible chances on better ground, come into that category.

My inclination is to wait until after the Topham has been run to see what the jockeys make of the ground. It might mean missing the best prices but it will avoid wasted bets and make use of the multitude of offers that will be available.

Can anyone offer encouragement about Shakem Up'Arry's chances of staying? If he makes the cut, he is another who looks very interestingly handicapped. His two Cheltenham wins recently are looking like very good form.

His dosage indicates that he's laden with stamina. He has identical profiles to his half brothers; Tidal Bay and the Gold Cup winner Imperial Commander. He's also a half-brother to Magic Of Light and the The Last Samurai, who both finished 2nd in the Aintree Grand National. Another Half-brother Beshebar won the Scottish Grand National. He is also includes Secret Reprieve as a half-brother; Welsh national winner..

A son of Flemingsfirth, no other sire has had more offspring win around Aintree!

Looking at the forecast i wouldn't be surprised if Thursday was abandoned

Forecast looks better after that

I have it in my head that some horses mentioned have question marks against them on soft or heavy ground. Galvin and Kitty's Light, who would both have plausible chances on better ground, come into that category.

My inclination is to wait until after the Topham has been run to see what the jockeys make of the ground. It might mean missing the best prices but it will avoid wasted bets and make use of the multitude of offers that will be available.

I think all 3 of mine would prefer better ground.

Hi guys I had a bit of spare time this weekend to have a quick look at the Nash and its the first time i had a look since the last National and that was only a quick squaz. Last year I backed Mr incredible who looks to have a fair chance again this year but he can be a bit of a Monkey tbh I'd also had a few quid on Roi mage last year at a big price and missed the place by one I think as would be the usual m.o and his chance looks no better than last year.

There are plenty of obvious ones as usual all with their chances but the one I like at the prices is probably Adamantly Chosen at 40/1 might even go bigger before the day. Fairly dotted up after the weights came out in a race that I'm sure Willie used to prep Burrows Saint before one of his National attempts. He probably hasn't beaten much there as Classic getaway the fav that day probably didn't get home and the horse who finished 2nd Roi Mage was wrong at the weights but that said the fashion in which AC dispatched him was decent enough and as a prep run he hasn't appeared to take much out of himself. His other form has been patchy but the other run that caught my eye was his effort in the Paddy power at Leopardstown over Christmas, you know from my time on here previously i'm not the sort to point the finger but something dodgy certainly went on there. Watching the race AC has fairly coasted up to the front after 2 out approaching the last as meeting of the waters pulled up along side him (Another Mullins runner and favourite) there seemed to be zero effort in the saddle on Adamant. At first I presumed Mullins had jocked up a lady amateur who'd just run out of puff and couldn't ride a finish I was quite surprised when i checked that Townend was in the saddle. Whatever went on there is neither here nor there he was giving away 18lbs to meeting of the waters and was in contention heading for the last. He's only 7yo and only and in years gone by that may have been a negative but as the fences get safer this becomes more a race for 2nd season chasers than the seasoned campaigners of old. I'm not really one for stats but it usually pays to have had a few runs in the season and a prep not too far away from the race with a win or a place to your name and probably helps if your guts haven't been ripped out in the process. If he stays is anyones guess but I've had a decent cross my fingers and hope bet at 40's and shall probably include him in a trifecta attempt.

If there is one amongst the field who I think is rock solid to place it'll be Panda boy his performances in last years Irish nash behind Maximus and in the paddy power behind Meeting of the waters both looked very similar, close enough but lacked the change of gear to really put the pressure on. Both of those look like solid pieces of form and the Mcmanus pair both come with big chances but Panda Boy is better off at the weights with both and that more grinding style may be seen to better effect over the longer trip barring accidents I can't see him being too far away.

I'm more than a little rusty when it comes to gazing through the form books so thoughts to be taken with a large pinch of Salt. All the best fellas whatever your selections.

Last edited:
His dosage indicates that he's laden with stamina. He has identical profiles to his half brothers; Tidal Bay and the Gold Cup winner Imperial Commander. He's also a half-brother to Magic Of Light and the The Last Samurai, who both finished 2nd in the Aintree Grand National. Another Half-brother Beshebar won the Scottish Grand National. He is also includes Secret Reprieve as a half-brother; Welsh national winner..

A son of Flemingsfirth, no other sire has had more offspring win around Aintree!

That really surprised me, Maxbet. He weakened after the last in the good race won by Midnight River last year (Mildmay course) and was in reverse gear in the final two furlongs of the Hennessy this season.

Still, I didn't really fancy MOL to stay either so I'll definitely have to have something on SEUH now. It would be a bet I would not mind losing as I cannot stand that phud Redknapp.

Last edited:
I had a look at stable tour comments around Galvin last night, with GE indicating he'd prefer better ground. And sure enough, there's a spread on RP today where the owner is saying he (and Stattler) won't run on soft.

Galvin is entered for Ayr, but only around 14-1 (although that could look wildly big depending on who else makes it to the race and what the weather does between now and then). Risky right now because in the unlikely event it did dry out he'd surely run at Aintree, and there's a chance it'll still be soft in two weeks' time at Ayr as well.

What are the chances that some horses will be withdrawn on the day and there won’t even be 34 runners?

I had a look at stable tour comments around Galvin last night, with GE indicating he'd prefer better ground. And sure enough, there's a spread on RP today where the owner is saying he (and Stattler) won't run on soft.

Galvin is entered for Ayr, but only around 14-1 (although that could look wildly big depending on who else makes it to the race and what the weather does between now and then). Risky right now because in the unlikely event it did dry out he'd surely run at Aintree, and there's a chance it'll still be soft in two weeks' time at Ayr as well.

And Stattler for the Whitbread.

Corach Rambler won at Cheltenham with 10st2lbs came back a year later and won again with 11st5lbs. He obviously carries weight very well while others can be stopped by adding only a few pounds...I see no reason barring mishaps he won't win again.

His Gold Cup 4th could not be equalled by any of Saturdays opposition

Back