Aintree 2016

WPM absolutely glowing about Douvan.

Every really good horse ends up with G Carlisle. Think of that with next year's novices.

Douvan v Thistlecrack coming to a screen near you soon

With a bit of give in the ground, Prince of Scars looks a good bet in the place market in the stayers. I've had a few quid on the win as well just in case but in reality I expect the short price fav treble to come in.

Vautour does not appear to stay and Djakadam is not good enough - the temptation to go for Gold must be huge .

Is this meant to be serious?

Douvan is very, very, good, but comparisons with Arkle and talk of Gold Cups are a load of old nonsense - not least because has vastly more to prove in stamina terms than Vautour does (the King George form looks better than ever, following the Bowl).

Simon Rowlands @RowleyfileRRR
Off a strong pace on softened ground, Douvan completed run-in 4 lengths quicker than any horse this week and from 3 out 12 lengths quicker.
whoosh

Slow by 7.8 seconds that's an amazing time on that ground

2 hurdle race yesterday 18 sec Slow and 11 sec slow next 2 races were chases 20 sec slow for both

Today condition look much slower 2 hurdle races 31 sec and 27 sec slow so you expect the chase looking at yesterday times to be around the 30's slow.

James knows his stuff LOL

There is one thing you have to take into consideration and that is it was raining during the race and when that happened it immediately takes the tackiness out of the ground and they go through it much easier...Not taking a thing away from the horse as he could have gone even faster if asked

Last edited:
Lots of two mile novice horses then go for gold - kicking King and Best Mate being recent examples . Douvan's reputation is rather reminiscent of you read the historical accounts of a certain novice in 1963 - quite obviously until Douvan has run in open company and over long trips no possible comparison could possibly be made with the mature Arkle .

is this a joke post Townend has given both horses excellent rides this afternoon

Well, it was a little tongue-in-cheek yes, hence the smilie ;)

Townend is excellent. Ruby does seem to have an uncanny ability to settle a horse and keep them balanced though.

Until he falls off...as Tanlic says :)

Something will have to try get Douvan off the bridle. I'd hope he is campaigned in.terms of gold next season.

Good luck trying to figure out who ruby wants to ride in each race next year

Last edited:
50 lengths faster than the two mile handicap chase on Thursday, carrying more weight, on much slower ground!

If he stays sound nothing bar a fall will beat him in Grade 1's for a long time to come.

i'm not sure i've ever seen anything like that horse over a distance. never slows down. :blink:

After watching the Grade1's at Cheltenham, and now here. Have we ever had such a fantastic set of dominant champions?

Wrong race for Different Gravey who clearly didn't stay.
Mightily impressive winner and well done those who backed the short price treble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thistlecrack is just wonderful to watch. Game as anything.

Awesome.

There are some seriously brilliant horses around at the moment.

Stunning from Thistlecrack - looked like he could go round again and heavens knows how far he would have won with a lead .

Last edited:
Simon Rowland of Timeform

"Off a strong pace on softened ground, Douvan completed run-in 4 lengths quicker than any horse this week and from 3 out 12 lengths quicker."

Is this meant to be serious?

Douvan is very, very, good, but comparisons with Arkle and talk of Gold Cups are a load of old nonsense - not least because has vastly more to prove in stamina terms than Vautour does (the King George form looks better than ever, following the Bowl).

Look closer Grassy this horse is travelling over the ground faster than Sprinter Sacre ever did from cantering to a gallop at the end of his races

Have you seen today's times................7.8 sec slow? Blew me away when I saw it I thought if he did 15 sec slow it would have been worth pointing out as way above average.

Thistlecrack who every one raves about 39 seconds slow.... ok one was hurdles the other one fences but looking at yesterdays time comparisons it has to tell you something.

I can hear Sir Peter up in heaven looking down at Douvan and saying "This is the the champion This is best we have seen for a very long time":D

There's no way they won't try him over further this is WPM not NJH

Back