Aintree 2017

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Cloudy Dream, Frodon, Le Prezien, Politologue and Top Notch among the 13 entered for the Manifesto Novices' Chase at Aintree next week

Defi Du Seuil, Landofhopeandglory, Forth Bridge and Dinaria Des Obeaux among the 12 for the Anniversary 4YO Hurdle at Aintree, Cue Card, Outlander, Tea For Two, Bristol De Mai, Silviniaco Conti and Sub Lieutenant among the ten entries for the Aintree Bowl.

Is Empire of Dirt decd for the Bowl, DG?

I'm assuming not, as you haven't mentioned him, which means I have to lump on for the Punchestown GC.

Prefer Outlander. Hates Cheltenham plainly and will be backable wherever he runs now.Most races seem priced up now. Interested in:Le Prezien Manifesto Outlander or Sub Lieutenant BowlJezki ew Aintree HurdleSub Lieutenant Melling - backed at 7sMessire Des Obeaux SeftonGold Present Topham

I've no idea how it is working for some either! OK, so files have been replaced but hasn't fixed it. I'm going to do a full install of the forum again to sort all the problems at once. However, its a 2-3 hour job, with more time needed to fix any problems that might occur during the install, so I really need to do it when I have 4+ hours min spare, all at once. At the moment I'm thinking either Sunday evening or Tuesday afternoon are possibilities. I shall update when I know better, I could do it now, but am going out in 2 hours, so if theres a problem with the install, then the forum will be down till tomorrow, hense why I need the full 4+ hours.

Read a few quotes saying that Beveur D'Air will have no trouble with the Aintree Hurdle trip, but I'm not seeing any concrete evidence of this myself, and I figure he has to be opposed at 1/2.

Yanworth looks an each-way bet to nothing at 8/1. He was never going to win a Champion Hurdle, and he will be much-better suited by this trip, and should handle ground conditions without any problems.

Edit: Assuming Yanworth runs here, rather than over 3m, of course.

Last edited:
Presumably McManus/Berry reckoned UNWIMH was a penalty for the Stayers, and it's this fact (rather than suitability of race) which shoved Yanworth to the Champion.

I see Betfair Hurdle 9th, Eddiemaurice, (which was a decent performance, given his rank-outsider status going into the race), is entered here on Friday. I reckon there's a big performance coming from him. He made some headway in The Betfair on ground that was probably too soft. I'll be watching to see if he runs. Also entered up at Taunton on Thursday.

Last edited:
I see Betfair Hurdle 9th, Eddiemaurice, (which was a decent performance, given his rank-outsider status going into the race), is entered here on Friday. I reckon there's a big performance coming from him. He made some headway in The Betfair on ground that was probably too soft. I'll be watching to see if he runs. Also entered up at Taunton on Thursday.

Just saw he is 56th in the list to get in, so no chance really - Taunton on Thursday looks a more realistic target.

'Empire Of Dirt is “more than likely” going to be Gigginstown’s sole runner in the Betway Bowl, while Dinaria Des Obeaux, Road To Respect and Alpha Des Obeaux will be kept at home.'

Identity Thief reverts to hurdles and will represent Giggi in the Aintree Hurdle. Apples Jade's participation is still undecided, it seems.

Last edited:
'Empire Of Dirt is “more than likely” going to be Gigginstown’s sole runner in the Betway Bowl, while Dinaria Des Obeaux, Road To Respect and Alpha Des Obeaux will be kept at home.'

Fantastic news having backed Outlander for Punchy where he is a huge price.

Cue Card, Bristol De Mai , Empire of Dirt, Silviniaco Conti, Tea For Two, Smad Place and Aso form the Bowl line-up.

Buveur D'air to face The New One, My Tent or Yours, Identity Thief, Rashaan and Old Guard

Last edited:
Grade 1 2m4 hurdle and we can only churn out those three, two of which are completely exposed. Hurdling is in an appalling state over here.

Agreed. Hendo was (rightly) receiving the plaudits for bringing Buveur D'air back over hurdles but was it really that difficult a decision ?

The biggest worry is with Neon Wolf set to go over fences if Defi Du Seuil does the same we'll have nothing coming through in the division either.

Technically, the UK hasn't had a top (top) end 2m hurdler for a long time.

Look at the winners of the CH and the Supreme Novices in the last 10 years - there's barely a UK-trained hurdler amongst them. Obviously, Altior had the class to break this mould, but connections chose to go chasing.

Whilst he far-and-away the likeliest winner, I really can't bring myself to back Buveur D'Air in the Aintree Hurdle at current odds, but want to have an interest in the race. To that end, I've chanced a few kopeks on Old Guard at 40/1.

He has run with credit under big-weights in both the Lanzarote and the Coral Cup, his stamina is assured, and he should be fine on the forecast ground.

Last edited:
I've done the Defi Du Seuil, Cue Card, Buveur D'air, On The Fringe acca.

Mug bet probably but I'll save the singles for the handicaps and the Friday & Saturday races.

Back