Aintree 2017

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
I make that the second time in recent weeks that Lizzie Kelly breaks the rules to win, if they give her a day for every stroke she should get at least a forte night.

I make that the second time in recent weeks that Lizzie Kelly breaks the rules to win, if they give her a day for every stroke she should get at least a forte night.

I was only watching it on a mobile with a dodgy connection, but it didn't look as if she was fully striking after the last, more waving the whip? But maybe that's just her style?

It may have been my mobile connection, but it looked as if Brennan nearly fell off Cue Card several times on the flat over the last two fences? Did he run around a lot off a straight line?

That said, I thought Brennan did the right thing - looked to me like Cue Card was beaten for toe over the last couple, despite Brennan kicking on and trying to run the finish out of the field. That race at Ascot looked as if Cue Card has lost a bit of speed - he struggled to get on top of an inferior rival in the middle of the race, but totally outstayed him in the end.

I am not sure Cue Card likes going on so soon like at Wetherby.

I thought Lizzie Kelly looked to have given it far more smacks overhead than when you watch the side on view . That's a race I fear Brennan lost .

Lizzie's mount probably ran around more, she switched her whip to keep him from hanging into Cue Card.
Two wrongs dont make a right DO. The stewards will probably duck the issue; Grand Nat, cruelty and all that.

I'm now officially over my fascination with EoD.

Knew I was beaten between the first and second fences. Bah! :mad:

Really hope Buveur D'Air stays injury free. He oozes class and will be a major force to be reckoned with again next season. He could put up a fair sequence of G1 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Id say thats it for the season now somehow. I'd love to see it but Sprinter done Cheltenham, Aintree & Punchestown and the following Christmas he was pulling up sick. Reckon Henderson won't try that again too soon.

Really hope Buveur D'Air stays injury free. He oozes class and will be a major force to be reckoned with again next season. He could put up a fair sequence of G1 wins.

I know you're a big fan, KA........but there are some decent-looking novices coming through the ranks, and I'm not entirely convinced he will have things all his own way next season.

He's clearly very good, but he has basically beaten 10yo MTOY the same distance here as he did at Cheltenham, and I'm not certain he is quite as good as you're cracking him up to be. Mind you, if those emerging novices don't progress next year, I concede it's hard to think what might trouble him in a 2m G1 hurdle.

They're decent alright Grass but just not so sure they're in this lads league. He beat MTOY there without being asked a question, a slap or two down the shoulder to go on and win as he liked. Remember MTOY would've had his optimum conditions there too unlike last year when he chased AP home on soft ground. A bit like Sandown when he beat Raven Black, he could've won by what he liked had he been given a crack or two.

He has a serious engine, his hurdling technique is sublime and now most people are accepting what I've been saying about him for an age. He goes on any ground.

They're going to have to be exceptional to beat him.

Last edited:
They're decent alright Grass but just not so sure they're in this lads league. He beat MTOY there without being asked a question, a slap or two down the shoulder to go on and win as he liked. Remember MTOY would've had his optimum conditions there too unlike last year when he chased AP home on soft ground. A bit like Sandown when he beat Raven Black, he could've won by what he liked had he been given a crack or two.

He has a serious engine, his hurdling technique is sublime and now most people are accepting what I've been saying about him for an age. He goes on any ground.

They're going to have to be exceptional to beat him.

I'm not convinced it will need an exceptional horse to beat him.

He has beaten a couple of 10yos and two rag handicappers today - I won't be going overboard about it. I respect BUV, but will be keeping a sense of perspective about what he has achieved.

Yes, today he won at a breeze. He didn't need to be shaken up. Clearly if he was he could've put another big distance between them. They were all flat out, he wasn't.

But go back to his festival form and clearly you have a very serious beast. Third in probably one of the hottest Supreme Novice Hurdles ever ran. We all know those form lines, they've advertised themselves over and over again. Then he wins a champion hurdle by the exact same distance that Annie Power did beating the same opposition in MTOY. Only difference is AP was getting 7lbs and she had far better going. Also MYOY had't ran in 2 years when facing AP . This year he was fit as a flea going into March with a 10 times better preparation than last year.

When you see he clocked an identical time to Faugheen when he won his champion hurdle you know you have a serious animal on your hands.

Annie Power & Faugheen have both been labeled superstars and rightly so. They were. But this lad is in that bracket too.

Personally I hope people stay knocking the horse because you might get some bit of a price. He reminds me a bit of Kauto Star heading to Kempton for the KG. Around 4/6 or 8/13 on the morning of it because of doubts about his jumping etc. He went off 1/2 today but in reality that was very generous. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
If you don't think he was shaken-up, KA, then you were watching a different race to me.

I am assuredly NOT knocking the horse. In fact, I've already said he is very good, and will happily concede he is the one to beat in UK 2m hurdles next season. If you think his performances in his last two outings are exceptional, then that's your right - I clearly have a different measure of 'exceptional' myself. :cool:

Last edited:
That's why I love jumps racing. Not a penny on the winner, could not fancy him at all left handed, but shouted him home. Brilliant for the stable.

I'm seriously trying not to think of tomorrow, Euro - it was a fu*cking bloodbath today, and I'm currently licking my wounds.

Back