Aintree 2018

Did they seriously just use the line "the race that stops a nation" on ITV regarding the Grand national ?

There is only one race that will ever, ever be entitled to use that line and the GN is certainly most not it !

Santini's going to be some chaser

Picture credit Jodie Standing

f3w650.jpg

Couldn't agree more! Really fell for him at Cheltenham. Stunning horse who oozes potential.

As I said those rating were crap. The horse was bought as a Gold Cup prospect, Hailes had the biggest bet of his life on him last season at Cheltenham in the JLT.
The only reason he was dropped back to 2 miles was because the races were crap with no Douvan and no Altior

PN did say after he won the Tingle Creek he was a better 2 miles horse but that's because he's a balloon :lol:

His latest quote
"The great thing now he is staying, we always thought he'd be a King George horse, but we dropped him back in trip. In time he might get three miles.

He's more political than Politilogue

Well done. A stopped clock and all that!

Nicky Henderson is having a great run and On The Blind Side according to his lordship is working great at home.

No reason to doubt the man but I am not so sure he is as good as what some may think.

Black Op on the other hand is what you see is what you get.

No need for guessing and is without doubt up to winning this.

Black Op 5/2
should be favourite for this.

As for the National I am going with the mounts Darlyl Jacob and Davy Russell for giggi to bring home some bacon

With Vintage Clouds not making the cut yesterday and Regal encore being withdrawn this morning it's really sucked the Jam out of my doughnut. Road to Riches and VLR are my long term antepost punts but don't really fancy either on the ground. Thinking the obvious 2 are Annibale Fly and Seeyouatmidnight.

Elsewhere at Aintree if the blinkers work again I think Paper lantern is worth a bet in the 3miler.

William of Orange is probably a fair price to follow up his recent success now he can breathe.

The stayers hurdle as most of the graded stuff has done this week looks a disappointing affair. Not really convinced by Sam spinner. Wouldn't fancy Wholestone away from Cheltenham at that price. I presume Lami will be a non runner. Not much left and although unconvinced I've considered Cool Cody or Identity theif to pull off a shock. Probably best just left alone.

Looks like a fatality in the last

.....False alarm, up and walking back to stables.

Last edited:
There has been some discussion about the quality of the current crop of novices. Santini yesterday and Black Op today gave a good indication that they will be top rank chasers next year. Last evening I looked up the prices for next year’s RSA thinking I might anticipate a Black Op win today and get an edge. The list includes Samcro,Santini,Next Destination and SuperSundae as well as On the Blind Side who clearly underperformed today. What a mouthwatering prospect!

Last edited:
Nicky Henderson is having a great run and On The Blind Side according to his lordship is working great at home.

No reason to doubt the man but I am not so sure he is as good as what some may think.

Black Op on the other hand is what you see is what you get.

No need for guessing and is without doubt up to winning this.

Black Op 5/2
should be favourite for this.

As for the National I am going with the mounts Darlyl Jacob and Davy Russell for giggi to bring home some bacon

Told you yer too good for this place KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM:lol:

Fair play Tanlic. I know we have our different approaches and difference of opinion on some things but in fairness you keep knocking in the winners on a regular basis.

Well done mate.

Pretty average festival overall.missing the main Irish horses leader ed the racing.

Bar Nickys two hurdlers, I haven't taken too much note of one's to follow next term

I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed too.

Whether it was the ground or good horses just not performing or a lack of Irish horses, I don't know.

Maybe I'd feel different if I didn't have so many near misses.

Better ground would have helped but I think the Mersey was a decent race and with the Neptune and Supreme also looking good renewals there should be some nice novice chasers next year. Aintree always has a lack of quality in some race, just the way it is.

There has been some discussion about the quality of the current crop of novices. Santini yesterday and Black Op today gave a good indication that they will be top rank chasers next year. Last evening I looked up the prices for next year’s RSA thinking I might anticipate a Black Op win today and get an edge. The list includes Samcro,Santini,Next Destination and SuperSundae as well as On the Blind Side who clearly underperformed today. What a mouthwatering prospect!

I wasn’t hugely sold on Black Op previously, but his was probably the performance that most made me sit-up-and-take-notice, of the entire meeting.

I think he could develop into a seriously good chaser next season......though I confess I also wish he was in slightly more capable hands, than those of Tom George.

I have some respect for TG’s talents as a trainer, but I think he is one of those that can perhaps only take them so far. I can’t really figure-out why this is the case, but he’s had some very promising young horses through his hands over the years, but he has never really had one that’s consistently punched its weight in the very-best company.

Last edited:
I wasn’t hugely sold on Black Op previously, but his was probably the performance that most made me sit-up-and-take-notice, of the entire meeting.

I think he could develop into a seriously good chaser next season......though I confess I also wish he was in slightly more capable hands, than those of Tom George.

I have some respect for TG’s talents as a trainer, but I think he is one of those that can perhaps only take them so far. I can’t really figure-out why this is the case, but he’s had some very promising young horses through his hands over the years, but he has never really had one that’s consistently punched its weight in the very-best company.

Share your thoughts on TG. A bit like the golf pro at the course, knows his **** but also knows his glass ceiling

Back