Aintree Day 2

Yes she can, and will IMO OTB think the flatter track will be more in her favour this time and providing that she settles better than she has been (seems to take a strong hold in her races) then she'll be very tough to beat.

Martin

Cannot be more lucid than that Martin. Having backed her previously on your recommendation I cant desert her today!

Thank You.

I cannot believe the price of Mossley. I see Back in Focus dropping out completely. He has the beating of the others. 9/2 is huge.

Im a big fan of Mossley as well, one of the bets of the day for me. Find it hard to back anything from Howard Johnson.

Sorry to be a dissenter, but I prefer Ceol Rua in the bumper, 14/1 with Corals and a similar price on Betfair. She won her last race after being badly hampered, and that is not factored into her RPR.

The horse she beat, Whatwillwecallher, is herself rather decent, has won twice since, and was an ok fourth behind Samain in the strong Curragh bumper last weekend.

I would have preferred more cut in the ground but Ceol Rua still has a good shout in my opinion.

I'm having small e/ways on Iolith, Mad Max and all Peter Bowen's horses - fancy a few outsiders will be the order of the day.

What have I missed about Iolith?

He's been mentioned on this forum quite a few times, a few people have quite a regard for him.

What have I missed about Iolith?

He's been mentioned on this forum quite a few times, a few people have quite a regard for him.

Alan King said in his weekender column "In the opening John Smiths Top Novice Hurdle I will be represented by Iolith who has been specifically trained for this race. We were not able to run him at Cheltenham because his owners had another horse, trained by Nicky Henderson in The Supreme Novices' Hurdle, and that was always the plan. Actually it has worked in my favour as Iolith has really come to himself. He seems very happy and his coat has blossomed in the last couple of weeks. Although he has a bit to find on the book with one or two of them, he could run well."

In opposition to a few people it seems, my three today are Quito De La Roque (i actually think his price is generous!), Alberta's run and Back in Focus.

The first and last of these only have form on soft/heavy ground but then we've never seen them on better ground and i'm willing to give them a shot. Quito's form is rock solid, Back in Focus is a fair price based on an easy win in a grade 2. Can't see anything beating Alberta's run either... He's a decent price still...

Alan King said in his weekender column "In the opening John Smiths Top Novice Hurdle I will be represented by Iolith who has been specifically trained for this race. We were not able to run him at Cheltenham because his owners had another horse, trained by Nicky Henderson in The Supreme Novices' Hurdle, and that was always the plan. Actually it has worked in my favour as Iolith has really come to himself. He seems very happy and his coat has blossomed in the last couple of weeks. Although he has a bit to find on the book with one or two of them, he could run well."

Thanks, Chef

I really like Somersby at 5s. Hes been crying out for this trip for some time I feel. Im surprised hes not shorter

He has, but he ran poorly here last year after a Festival appearance and that puts me off backing him. A straight lay of Albertas looks the play to me as this is a lot tougher than the Ryanair's he's won and last years renewal of this.

I think Somersby will have too much pace for Alberta's Run today.

Wayward Prince to win the novice chase though I'd be a bit concerned that Aintree might be a bit sharp for him.

Mon Parrain is short enough in the Topham but he was real impressive at Sandown.

Quito has some great form but he has looked slow and the faster ground shouldn't help him.Didn't get enough matched at sub 1.7 and I am about to go in again at 1.95.Very hopeful of being in a no lose siuation before halfway.

He has, but he ran poorly here last year after a Festival appearance and that puts me off backing him. A straight lay of Albertas looks the play to me as this is a lot tougher than the Ryanair's he's won and last years renewal of this.

If it's a lot tougher how come the horse he beat fair and square at Cheltenham is second favourite?

Albertas Run lay is no value 2/7 shot.

If it's a lot tougher how come the horse he beat fair and square at Cheltenham is second favourite?

Because the prices are wrong. Tranquil Sea, MM and Somersby should all be shorter than Kalahari King. The latter beat Ruby Light by 2L at Cheltenham - big deal. I sometimes think markets are formed based on the numbers to the left of a contenders name rather than the actual form.

Last edited:
Albertas Run had won 3 very competitive Grade 1s in the last year - those '1s' are very important for me when figuring will a horse perform on the big day. Poquelin an opposite example.

Iolith ran even worse than his massive drift suggested he would. Looked like it was the first time he had seen a hurdle. Winner looks very decent. Sire de Grugy needs it softer it would appear.

Good win for QDLR - I know Cantoris is a big fan so hope you won a few quid on him :)

Mistake 2 out probably cost him as well as those down the back straight though he kept coming back on the bridle, very nice horse :)

In opposition to a few people it seems, my three today are Quito De La Roque (i actually think his price is generous!), Alberta's run and Back in Focus.

The first and last of these only have form on soft/heavy ground but then we've never seen them on better ground and i'm willing to give them a shot. Quito's form is rock solid, Back in Focus is a fair price based on an easy win in a grade 2. Can't see anything beating Alberta's run either... He's a decent price still...

Hats off to that man. Didn't fancy himself in the ground, but fair play to those that did.

Definitely one for the future.

Back