Thriller

Band On The Run

Saturday Night Fever

Brothers In Arms

The Wall

Queens Greatest Hits

All Oasis albums except their last one.

Purple Rain

Sorry to U2 fans - love their music but have never bought or heard any of the albums.

Scissor Sisters first album (forgot the name)

Anything by Leornard Cohen (genius)

Appetite For Destruction
Dark Side Of The Moon
Bat Out Of Hell
Thriller
Band On The Run
Saturday Night Fever
Brothers In Arms
The Wall
Queens Greatest Hits
All Oasis albums except their last one.
Purple Rain
Sorry to U2 fans - love their music but have never bought or heard any of the albums.
Scissor Sisters first album (forgot the name)
Anything by Leornard Cohen (genius)

That's what they call an eclectic mix I believe Swedish!

Nirvana; Nevermind [never get tired of that one]
Funeral; Arcade Fire [haven't seen all that many bands live, but the best of the ones I've seen]
..is it just me, but I haven't heard any good new stuff recently or any good new bands; PJ Harvey was on the Culture Show the other night and her new album sounded pretty good [what an amazing lady she is; talented artist as well]

One for the old days....Notorious BIG -Life After Death. Used to listen to this as a teenager with my peers. Some naughty stuff on the album but it no doubt made me the well rounded, sometimes sickly individual I am these days. Apparently the FBI have reopened the case into his murder, I'm hoping they catch the murderer for all concerned.

I've been listening to Seal's greatist hits album a lot recently, some crackers on that album.

Last edited:
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Godspeed You Black Emperor F#a#infinity
Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children
Guilty Pleasure Alert -> Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Airplane over the Sea
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Tom Waits - Real Gone
DJ Shadow - Pre-Emptive Strike
Beck - Odelay
dEUS - Worst Case Scenario

Nirvana; Nevermind [never get tired of that one]
Funeral; Arcade Fire [haven't seen all that many bands live, but the best of the ones I've seen]
..is it just me, but I haven't heard any good new stuff recently or any good new bands; PJ Harvey was on the Culture Show the other night and her new album sounded pretty good [what an amazing lady she is; talented artist as well]

Big Arcade Fire fan too. Had tickets to see them last month and couldn't make it. Gutted.

Very nice list Bar.

Radiohead - OK Computer
GnR - Appetite
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
The Mars Volta - France the Mute
Neurosis - A Sun that Never Sets
GY!BE - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
Beck - Odelay

Last edited:
Boringly rock orientated lists...

I think that most popular/rock/soul music stands up to only so much listening. The nuances arent there to warrant goig back year after year. Its not as if you hear something differente each time#

But for this angle i would go for

Sgt peppers Beatles

Revolver Beatles

Lets get it on Marvin gaye

and to be more left field but definately a great great classic - kind of blue miles davis

There are a few other jazz "classics" too. Inner urge Joe henderson, from the soul joe lovano, a few coltranes of course

Frankly though Classic means classical for me and mozarts clarinet concerto or bachs violin ( to name but two) stand up to endless revisiting

Mozarts clarinet is the most decpetively simple and most mesmerising music i have ever heard. why it suprises each and every time i cannot explain

Last edited:
I didn't realise that Mr Mozart released an 'album', Clivex! We were told no compilations, so some selections here ought to be kicked out. The reason the title says 'album' is presumably because lots of old-time jazz, blues and swing bands and singers didn't release them - they released singles on 78" vinyls, which only latterly have been cobbled into what are compilations via 33" long plays, then cassette, then DVD. So there, stick that in your Meerschaum and smoke it!

Mozarts clarinet is the most decpetively simple and most mesmerising music i have ever heard. why it suprises each and every time i cannot explain

Beethoven is the classical Daddy and would knock the Austrian mincer out with one punch.

not sure whether these are people's personal choice's or whether its a list of what you believe to be truly classic albums..no matter whether they are your bag or not.

I'll work on the truly classic idea

Revolver
Sgt Pepper
Pet Sounds
Music From The Big Pink
Bridge Over Troubled water
Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
Black Sabbath s/t
Disraeli Gears
Dark Side Of The Moon
Electric ladyland
Led Zeppelin 4
Aqualung
Who's Next
Waiting For Columbus
Highway 61 revisited

Grassy - you betcha! I was about 12 when I first heard his Pastoral, which I learned to whistle most of the way through. (It gave me a lot of pleasure, if no-one else within 100 yards.) The opening notes are just exquisite - I can think of few pieces of music which convey the beginning of Spring so well, as if the little buds themselves were playing themselves into flower. After that, the Grand Duke and onwards... strong, stirring? Yes, but also tender, poignant, dainty... cannot think of another composer working the gamut of feeling with a full orchestra so well, other than Elgar's soaring Nimrod, which has me in tears in five seconds flat!

Clivex - we've begun agreeing too much with each other. Hot jazz, or cool jazz? I like hot jazz, but then I like cool jazz. Which one is best? There's only one way to find out...

Last edited:
I always have something by The Pixies in the van,Doolittle or Surfer Rosa usually. Weight or Come In And Burn by the Rollins Band pumps me up.Exit Stage Left by Rush usually as me playing air drums!! Nearly everything else is on the MP3. Mainly indie,metal or rock.

Off to see Hazel O'Connor's new outfit,The Bluja Project, in a couple of weeks:D I can get down and mellow too.

Someone I played an awful lot, a long time ago: Robert Cray (and his band) with the Strong Persuader album. Gloriously smooth and sexy.

Krizon

i like jazz from right across the spectrum but not too avant garde. I am not keen on stuff that gets a little too electronic 9although miles pulled it off ok) but even some straightforward smooth jazz i can be partial too (Grover washington especially)

Give an idea of range of artists that im particularly partial too

Coltrane
miles
Joe lovano
Mccoy tyner
Brad mehldau
billie
Norma winstone
Joe Henderson

a lot of blue note stuff too

list goes on really.... discovering bill evans at the moment

John Coltrane and Grover Washington are two I've listened to in the past, and enjoyed. I'm not by any means, though, a jazz aficionado, so my idea of jazz is more Dixie style, or Stompin' at the Savoy!

Krizon

i like jazz from right across the spectrum but not too avant garde. I am not keen on stuff that gets a little too electronic 9although miles pulled it off ok) but even some straightforward smooth jazz i can be partial too (Grover washington especially)

Give an idea of range of artists that im particularly partial too

Coltrane
miles
Joe lovano
Mccoy tyner
Brad mehldau
billie
Norma winstone
Joe Henderson

a lot of blue note stuff too

list goes on really.... discovering bill evans at the moment

Dave Brubeck?

Joe Morello was amazing..this is awesome from him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o

Beethoven is the classical Daddy and would knock the Austrian mincer out with one punch.

Bach massively superior to both, and both in debt to him.

Chopin would be my preference, but I recognise he will always struggle in lists of great composers due to only composing a limited number of non-solo piano works.

All and any of CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL, of which I have: Willy & the Poor Boys; Green River; Pendulum.

Great shout, phenomenal band - Cosmo's Factory and Bayou Country strongly recommended.

Also Roy Harper - Stormcock; Elvis Costello - Get Happy; Justin Currie - What Is Love For; Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left and The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Nobody a fan of the magisterial Wagner? Too many echoes of him being hijacked by high jackboots? Too bad - Die Nieberlungerlingerliederhosen is superb, if a tad longggg, but surely few of the old-time classical composers can convey sheer, sweeping grandeur more eloquently?

Cheers, VVO, and wilkommen, welkom and bienvenu to the forum! The posts above remind there are so many bands I have never tried and really ought to get a listen in on some time.

Last edited:
Back