All Time Classic Albums

Nobody a fan of the magisterial Wagner? Too many echoes of him being hijacked by high jackboots? Too bad - Die Nieberlungerlingerliederhosen is superb, if a tad longggg, but surely few of the old-time classical composers can convey sheer, sweeping grandeur more eloquently?

Cheers, VVO, and wilkommen, welkom and bienvenu to the forum! The posts above remind there are so many bands I have never tried and really ought to get a listen in on some time.

Why thank you, nice to be acknowledged! Will try to summon up the courage to post on horses before too long: feel a trifle overawed in the company of some seriously well informed members....

Why thank you, nice to be acknowledged! Will try to summon up the courage to post on horses before too long: feel a trifle overawed in the company of some seriously well informed members....

You've picked a good username - remember backing your namesake at a good price over fences at Ascot circa 1992.

Nobody a fan of the magisterial Wagner? Too many echoes of him being hijacked by high jackboots? Too bad - Die Nieberlungerlingerliederhosen is superb, if a tad longggg, but surely few of the old-time classical composers can convey sheer, sweeping grandeur more eloquently?

The most Metal of all the composers (along with Brahms.) I can't really handle opera but there are cd's out there that feature just his preludes and overtures. Tannhauser being my favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nS66IvbvcI

You've picked a good username - remember backing your namesake at a good price over fences at Ascot circa 1992.

Yes, me too, was there that day. He had a real purple patch around then: lovely animal. Name appealed, as it turned out to be so paradoxical (or should that be inapposite?)

Talking of Wagner, I remember someone once said that 'His music is better than it sounds', which hit the nail quite squarely.

Bach massively superior to both, and both in debt to him.
[/QUOTE

Its about the composer that you relate to rather than whos better than who. after Mozart, Bach is my favourite but Mozarts range and pure genius has him some way ahead for me. There are touchs to mozarts work which i wouldnt expect from bach (or anyone else) but i could imagine mozart comfortably composing Bachs works

In my limited experience, have found alot of people like both composers being relatively extrovert and intricate. Haydn is another in that range

Beethoven is for me, more introverted.

Bach is a rhythical composer with an almost jazz sound. Brandenberg concerto fine example, but cant handle some of the organ stuff

Im not a wagner fan. I dislike bombastic music of any kind

Recently happily discovered Mendelsson.

I'd say in his day he was grandiose - as most of these chaps were writing the stuff for emperors, Kaisers and the feelthy reech of their day, people wouldn't have settled for minimalist tinkling. It was music by the yard, if you will! Probably a touch of "I've paid for a full bloody orchestra, so I want the works!" Later, thanks to much of Wagner being attached to those nasty Nazis, you might think of it as bombastic, since the 'fans' were not short on bombast and self-inflated importance. We oughtn't to let such fads and fancies get in the way of the works, I feel. Poor Mendellsohn was vilified by the same ghastlies for being Jewish and all his works and the playing of them banned by the cretins - he has some extraordinarily sweet pieces to offer, so hope you'll continue to enjoy him.

Wow - just found some online vids of Bread! Concerts and albums both. My all-time favourites, GUITAR MAN and EVERYTHING I OWN (which seems to be incredibly popular, if that's the word, with people who've lost someone or a pet - even a horse - of meaning to them). Soft rock, yes, but some of the finest guitar breaks without the need to grandstand, mutilate rodents, or trash the place to get attention.

I'm not sure that David Gates and Bread would appear on my people's list of classic albums but I have to admit that I was a big fan at that time.

My favourite track was "Diary".

most of these chaps were writing the stuff for emperors, Kaisers and the feelthy reech of their day, people wouldn't have settled for minimalist tinkling

Well maybe but so was Handel and i find his stuff uplifting.

Fair enough! The 'classics' are very much of their time and place, of course, as perhaps all music is - although some stands the test of time and repeated listening (and interpretations) much better than most. I don't like Copland, for example, although everyone seems to adore his Fanfare for the Common Man - possibly because I think it's a bit retrograde to the grandiloquency of past masters, and I'm not sure that attaching 'common' to the piece elevates the commoner. I understand what he's saying - that because one's a common person, not of high birth, there is no reason not to celebrate that social stratum, and what it has contributed to the world en masse.

Fair enough! The 'classics' are very much of their time and place, of course, as perhaps all music is - although some stands the test of time and repeated listening (and interpretations) much better than most. I don't like Copland, for example, although everyone seems to adore his Fanfare for the Common Man - possibly because I think it's a bit retrograde to the grandiloquency of past masters, and I'm not sure that attaching 'common' to the piece elevates the commoner. I understand what he's saying - that because one's a common person, not of high birth, there is no reason not to celebrate that social stratum, and what it has contributed to the world en masse.

i think ELP made Fanfare quite popular Kri

I saw them live in 1972..i was a fan then but even I thought them self indulgent...a piano solo with his back to the audience for 20 minutes didn't thrill

(Eyes search desperately from side-to-side... ), EC, who's ELP? I know Electric Light Orchestra, and can even remember Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO - Best Turned Out!) but dunno ELP. 'Elp! :lol:

(Eyes search desperately from side-to-side... ), EC, who's ELP? I know Electric Light Orchestra, and can even remember Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO - Best Turned Out!) but dunno ELP. 'Elp! :lol:

Emmerson, Lake & Palmer: the apotheosis of self indulgence. Sample album name Brain Salad Surgery; says it all really. Everyone says punk was an antidote to Pink Floyd; wrong, it was a reaction to the appalling ELP

Last edited:
Thanks, VVO! Aha - yes, know the name now. Never bought anything of theirs - I did have 33" albums of BTO for a while, and 10cc, Cream, and even (now this is seriously long ago) The Nice!

Last edited:
Keith Emerson used to stab his organ [ouch] with a knife in those days, if I remember correctly...wouldn't be allowed these days; health and safety etc etc.

as a 15 year old in 1971 - Tarkus was a really good album..in fact the first two albums are pretty good..the third Pictures At An exhibition [live] is ok...no self indulgence on them..it was live where it got daft..and then in the mid seveties fookin ridiculous

Carl Palmer had a drum kit built out of steel..there were two thickness's..he went for the thickest and they couldn't shift the bloody thing

here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPB1zFXyA3k

You mentioned the Nice Kri - Keith Emerson was in them before ELP

you have probably seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9jHTYZ-6U

Last edited:
bloody heck - i just checked out some of the recent ELP videos on there..looks like they played some reunion or summat..Greg Lake is one big motherfooker now:blink:

Fab clip, EC! Pity about the pretentious gibberish at the end (but it was the 60s!). I know one side of my LP was Rondo a la Turque, which went, as rondos are supposed to do, round and round and round the same riff until your mind went blank (not difficult in my case). I think they were a bit samey in technique, but by crikey, they sure could play!

Bach massively superior to both, and both in debt to him.
[/QUOTE

Its about the composer that you relate to rather than whos better than who. after Mozart, Bach is my favourite but Mozarts range and pure genius has him some way ahead for me. There are touchs to mozarts work which i wouldnt expect from bach (or anyone else) but i could imagine mozart comfortably composing Bachs works

In my limited experience, have found alot of people like both composers being relatively extrovert and intricate. Haydn is another in that range

Beethoven is for me, more introverted.

Bach is a rhythical composer with an almost jazz sound. Brandenberg concerto fine example, but cant handle some of the organ stuff

Im not a wagner fan. I dislike bombastic music of any kind

Recently happily discovered Mendelsson.

It was wrong of me to say better, of course.

This is absolutly fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0h7UJgVZGk
I am going to buy the CD today at Harold Moore's.

As is this. And same around the CD, which I have been on the lookout for for a little while. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsoUIBcl7iw

Looking after a 9 month old baby at the moment and I understand that Mozart calms babies down; didn't work, but quite enjoyed listening to it. Will listen to rather a lot more of it for the next week. It's growing on me.

Saw programme about Steve Winwood last night on BBC4; thought his collaboration with Clapton at the moment was something new, but had forgotten about the Blind Faith era. Also didn't know that he had reinvented himself in the 80's; in fact he has constantly reinvented himself. Also didn't realise he was a Brummie like moi, but is now the country squire type like Roger Daltrey and Ian Anderson.

Oi deedn't know yow was a Broomie, loike, Moehat. Eet doozn't show in yoor roiting!

Mm, I saw something like that some time ago and was surprised by how many variations there have been on the Winwood theme. Always underplayed himself, I feel, when you think how Clappers escalated. Lovely musician, great voice, not much to look at, but hey!

Back