Arc 2010

Going this year Hamm - going for some flat racing there and at Maisons-Laffitte on the Monday and then a bit of proper racing later in the week :)

Looking forward to it all now after seeing Harbinger today :)

Cool. Are you going Saturday?

What racing is on at ML Monday?

I've only been to Saint Cloud and Longchamp.

Going on the Sunday only to Longchamp - would love to go on both days mind but have to work the Saturday.

The racing at ML on the Monday is just a regular 8 race flat card, the feature is the 5.5f Prix De Boneval a listed race for 3yos+. It's an 11:45 start for that one. There's a number of handicaps, minimum prize fund is 15,000 Euros and there's even a 4f race.

Going to Auteuil on the Tuesday, Enghien on the Wednesday and Fontainebleau on the Thursday too :)

Last edited:
I always thought Enghien was on the Monday, I would have gone to ML otherwise bit I've arranged to go sightseeing now!

The Saturday at Longchamp is weird, the racing is good but you're aware that Newmarket is better and you can only see the Sun Chariot and the place just lacks any atmosphere on the Saturday.

I'm just going on the Sunday this year, getting the last Eurostar from St Pancras on the Saturday.

There's also Saint-Cloud the Thursday after the Arc (same day as Fontainebleau) which stages the Group 3 Prix Thomas-Byron.

I've found the same with going to Auteuil Stan - you get to see the odd big race on Equidia, generally the Premio Roma on the days I've been or the odd big UK race but bar that there's not really anywhere to see the results.

Ah but he always runs far better at Longchamp than at Ascot . He needs a bit of cut and a fast gallop to be at his best too.

Last edited:
It's usually around now I try and get one or two in the book for the Arc and have been going through those likely to run..

Does anyone have an idea of plans for or what the Aga Khan is likely to do with Behkabad and Sarafina? I can't see him running both and was wondering how his priorities will lie. I'm presuming the colt runs?

I am all over Youmzain each way at 33s. One of the best bets of the year. No superstar this time around.

I have already taken a little of Planteur at 16s. What do folk make of his run in the GP de Paris? I have read some say he didn't stay but I certainly didn't see that myself. Seemed keen from the very first furlong to me. Is the sire a worry?

I think Sariska could be worth a little each way at 16s. If the ground came up any way soft she'd have a great chance.

I don't see him as the winner, obvious chance though he has, but Fame and Glory is much too short.

Any outside possiblities?

Last edited:
Surely Youmzains best days are behind him and this is a fancifull last throw of the dice.

I am all over Youmzain each way at 33s. One of the best bets of the year. No superstar this time around.

I have already taken a little of Planteur at 16s. What do folk make of his run in the GP de Paris? I have read some say he didn't stay but I certainly didn't see that myself. Seemed keen from the very first furlong to me. Is the sire a worry?

No, there is no superstar in the field, but Youmzain isn't the animal he was either.

I thought Planteur ran a cracker given how poorly he was ridden. If the jockey had left it a little longer he'd have won imo. Problem is a similar ride is very possible in the Arc and I can see him finishing fast and late a la Sulamani for 2nd or 3rd. He's a good bet but it has to be each way for me.

Behkabad - Niel

Sarafina - Vermeille

They'd be my best educated guesses Hamm - imagine Planteur will go the same way as Behkabad though not entirely convinced of Planteur's resolution.

There's a Brazilian horse currently in France (Interaction I think) who's due to target the race, yet to debut in Europe but that's due soon so he's worth keeping an eye on and Jakallberry put in an improved performance at San Siro LTO to take his first Group 1 (entered in the International so another to keep an eye on).

It's usually around now I try and get one or two in the book for the Arc and have been going through those likely to run..

Does anyone have an idea of plans for or what the Aga Khan is likely to do with Behkabad and Sarafina? I can't see him running both and was wondering how his priorities will lie. I'm presuming the colt runs?

I think Sariska could be worth a little each way at 16s. If the ground came up any way soft she'd have a great chance.

I don't see him as the winner, obvious chance though he has, but Fame and Glory is much too short.

Any outside possiblities?

I've been nibbling at my horse MC at between 500-420 on betfair can certainly think of worse prices!

Based on form at other tracks, he has no right to place in an Arc. But, the same could have been said the last few years and it only took a biased stewards decision and 2 superstars (Zarkava and Sea the Stars) to stop him being an Arc winner.

He has run fine at Saint Cloud (somehow beaten on the nod) and ran as well as you'd expect at Ascot.

Nothing of that ilk in the field this year and Hughes back on board is a massive plus.

I've been nibbling at my horse MC at between 500-420 on betfair can certainly think of worse prices!

Do you intend running him in it? Soft ground a plus?

Have you looked at the races on the Saturday as well?

Last edited:
At the moment the plan is to run him in the Grand Prix at Deauville and that will tell us a bit more hopefully about where we are with him. Depending on what happens plans will be made from there but I'm hopeful we can get there.

Based on form at other tracks, he has no right to place in an Arc. But, the same could have been said the last few years

That is blatantly wrong, his form was excellent prior to placing in Zarkava's Arc and he was a monster ew bet that year. His run at Saint Cloud that year was light year's ahead of his effort in 2010.

Last edited:
You would be quids in if you backed Powerstation e/w i n all his runs at the Cheltenham festival, some horses are suited to running conditions of certain races but never quiet good enough. I would never back any horse that has a 0-3 record in the Arc. It is obvinus he will always find a couple too good and I think they are going to the well once to often.

Last edited:
That is blatantly wrong, his form was excellent prior to placing in Zarkava's Arc and he was a monster ew bet that year. His run at Saint Cloud that year was light year's ahead of his effort in 2010.

Okay, a slight exaggeration but he wouldn't be in the top 3 form-wise, would he? I am a big fan of the horse so will not be arguing against you on this one!

You would be quids in if you backed Powerstation e/w i n all his runs at the Cheltenham festival, some horses are suited to running conditions of certain races but never quiet good enough. I would never back any horse that has a 0-3 record in the Arc. It is obvinus he will always find a couple too good and I think they are going to the well once to often.

I see your point, and agree with it - not interested in Fame and Glory and Dar re mi for that reason.

However, considering he was the rightful winner of his first Arc, he has only been beaten by Zarkava and Sea the Stars - hardly worth opposing him for that, is it?

Anyway, 8/1 the place is what really interests me when I am not off dreaming..

What price should Fame And Glory be, in relation to the three year olds based on what they have actually done on the racetrack?

To me he is having exactly the type of campaign I hoped he would get this year.

Fame and Glory knackered himself out chasing STS in Ireland last year - he'll be fresh as a daisy this year and very hard to beat.

Fame and Glory knackered himself out chasing STS in Ireland last year

No he didnt - the race was not run to suit and he was poorly ridden (as he virtually was for all of last season) off a slow pace with the pacemakers ignored. Fame And Glory is (in my opinion) capable of a better performance than all of those who finished in front of him in last year's Arc bar the winner.

Well, Aidan had better have a word with all the other trainers and jockeys to make sure they run the race to suit Fame better this year then.. :D

I would also think he would probably beat Dar re mi and Cavalryman (who will be running in a conditions event somewhere near you that weekend), but not so sure about Youmzain.

Anyway, even if he beat those ahead of him last year, he still has to beat the 2 French horses from the GP de Paris and Sariska, who if it is soft will be much harder to beat than she was at Epsom, where she ran well all the same.

What price should Fame And Glory be, in relation to the three year olds based on what they have actually done on the racetrack?

But, as with every year, the 3 year olds (referring to the French 2 here) will never have run to a rating near their highest at this stage of the season - they are still improving, and have not had the chance to run (or not taken it I should say) against their elders and hence post a high rating.

But, as with every year, the 3 year olds (referring to the French 2 here) will never have run to a rating near their highest at this stage of the season - they are still improving, and have not had the chance to run (or not taken it I should say) against their elders and hence post a high rating.

You did not answer my question though...he is too short at 3/1 or 7/2 in your opinion. How much bigger should he be in a year where the 3 year olds look pretty average.

Back