Arc 2010

Well, Aidan had better have a word with all the other trainers and jockeys to make sure they run the race to suit Fame better this year then.. :D

Thankfully they have seen the light and started to ride him much more aggressively.

As for Sariska on a soft/heavy surface - it will hold no fears for Fame And Glory either and she was flattered to get so close to him at Epsom.

You did not answer my question though...he is too short at 3/1 or 7/2 in your opinion. How much bigger should he be in a year where the 3 year olds look pretty average.

He's too short for me as I find it difficult to see him winning an Arc, but if you want to take the view on what everyone has achieved to date, then you're right, he could even be a value bet.

However, you'd miss an awful lot of Arc winners that way!

Who do you fancy for it?

Thankfully they have seen the light and started to ride him much more aggressively.

As for Sariska on a soft/heavy surface - it will hold no fears for Fame And Glory either and she was flattered to get so close to him at Epsom.

How was she flattered?

Bekhabad and Planteur look very average to me in terms of supposed top of the crop French 3yos.

They don't look like Rail Link, Hurricane Run, Dalakhani, Montjeu or Sagamix.

More like Cavalryman, Vision d'Etat and Zambezi Sun.

Do they need to be as good as Hurrican Run, Dalakhani or Montjeu though? I doubt it.

The form of this year's GP de Paris is arguably better than Rail Link's.

Vision d'Etat was better than Sagamix.

Rail Link was no more impressive looking at this point in his 3yo campaign than either Planteur or Bekhabad.

Re price Aiden - I said I never saw FAG as an Arc type but when Harbinger was announced to be injured I expected quotes of 7/4 about him. His campaign this year bar the joke of a run FTO has been perfect. He should go for the Irish Champion and than the Arc. In the Arc will he be given a positive ride because it looks the key?

Re price Aiden - I said I never saw FAG as an Arc type but when Harbinger was announced to be injured I expected quotes of 7/4 about him. His campaign this year bar the joke of a run FTO has been perfect. He should go for the Irish Champion and than the Arc. In the Arc will he be given a positive ride because it looks the key?

The type of ride to give Fame And Glory is just so obvious yet they insisted on riding him last year for a turn of foot - even against Sea The Stars over 10 furlongs!

The horse has a high cruising speed and just maintains that throughout the whole race relentlessly. But that is completely wasted when they insist on holding him up off a steady pace (look at how free he was in last years Arc) or riding him for a turn of foot.

They seemed to ride him as if he was a typical Montjeu, when he is not and he has the right attitude to go with an aggressive ride.

Irish,

I had a couple of quid at silly prices on that interaction the other day - If he comes out and runs well in a trial or somewhere else beforehand his price will crash and I should be able to trade out nicely..

The Niel

Behkabad
Shimraan
Ladys Purse
Shamalgan
Waldhorn
Mashoor
Cape Blanco
Joshua Tree
Rain Forest
St Nicholas Abbey
Planteur
Vivre Libre
Kidnapping
Mellon Martini
Scalo
Buzzword
Rewilding
Lawspeaker
Midas Touch
Await The Dawn
Flying Cross
Bright Horizon
Celtic Celeb
Apres Vous
Goldwaki
Victoire Pisa
Dariole

The Foy

Byword
Ideology
Daryakana
Shalanaya
Eastern Aria
Fame And Glory
Chinchon
Allied Powers
Aizavoski
Pouvoir Absolu
Telluride
Campanologist
Cavalryman
Holberg
Kite Wood
Wajir
Cutlass Bay
Traffic Guard
Monitor Closely
Nakayama Festa
Dixie Music
Court Canibal
Timos
Duncan
Sans Frontieres
Hot Six
Dangerous Midge
Jukebox Jury
Plumania

Fame And Glory is a deeply impressive colt with a decisive slant to stamina in his pedigree (Shirley Heights being his dam sire). His optimum trip is 12 furlongs plus and it is to his credit that he has performed with such flair at 10 furlongs, which attests to his quality. As has been said he has often been run counter to his real strengths, yet he is has acquitted himself with high credit against the best despite this.

I still sense that we have yet to see his full power unlocked and believe the Arc can bring this out of him. He won’t win the Arc by quickening like his sire Montjeu but he can gallop them into the ground. Forget about his Arc and Champion Stakes performances at the end of last season this was not his form (for whatever reason, probably over the top). He’s been prepared well this season.

I’ve had a good bet on him at 5s and will probably leave it at that. I may have a little each-way/place interest in something like Planteur nearer the time.

Last edited:
Agreed - if they keep riding him like they have been this season then I think he will be tough to beat in whatever race he turns up in.

...It’s how I see it though. Like Paul Newman in The Hustler I believe we have yet to see his true game. He's far from slow, although quickening up off a slow pace is not what he's about.

He was just slower that Sea The Stars but then again what horse wasn't over a mile or more.

I am surprised Cecil is being so tentative over Midday - if she decisively defeats Dar Re Mi, Sariska et al in the Vermeille missing the Arc in such an open year would be a shame.

I am surprised Cecil is being so tentative over Midday - if she decisively defeats Dar Re Mi, Sariska et al in the Vermeille missing the Arc in such an open year would be a shame.

Dont use it as a precedent but for once I agree with you.

suny used to agree with me quite a lot - only in recent years has he fallen into error .

Whither Workforce - will we see him again ?

I am surprised Cecil is being so tentative over Midday

I like Midday. She finishes her races so well. She does tend to get left behind a bit during earlier stages though and is often scrubbed along. I'm not convinced she'll get the luxury of doing that in the Arc.

Although she could run a decent Vermeille I'd need a big price for her to be on my mind for the Arc.

Back