Arkles Quiz

• Thread starter Thread starter ArkleSupreme
  • Start date Start date
No DG and simmo...those are not the correct answers, though they were both desperate to always win the race and were often represented by more than one horse.

Any more answers ?

Thanks edgt...I try to please wherever I go though it was never easy on BBC 606 where I was always up against some who were hell-bent on trying to ridicule me at any opportunity....especially where Arkle was concerned !

Last edited:
The answer to Question 11 is that Fulke Walwyn trained Popham Down and Neville Crump trained Rutherfords and those two horses caused the pile up at the 23rd fence with Popham Down refusing and Rutherfords falling there and not rising, so every other horse was either impeded or fell bar Foinavon who came round the outside and missed the entire melee...and we all know what happened next !

12. What connects the 2000 Guineas and Cheltenham Gold Cups of 1980 ?

The great grandather of Robbie Power, the jockey on Silver Birch, who was Patrick Power, bred Caughoo who won the 1947 Grand National.

Incidentally the year Caughoo won, the fog was so thick many thought he had only completed one circuit :lol:, but fortunately photographic evidence proved otherwise.

Well done DG...you beat me to that...and my older brother was born when Caughoo when the National whilst I was born in Perivale Hospital,West London on Grand National Day itself when Pat Taaffe won on Quare Times....how apt that my favourite horse of all time would be Arkle !

Question 13 will be posted shortly.

edgt were they all Irish trained originally and then trained in England by the time they won the race itself ?

13.Why is the former National Hunt jockey champion Stan Mellor connected with Greece ?

Back