Arse Cup

Originally posted by Grey@Jun 23 2008, 06:59 AM
...... However, I just couldn't resist being amused at the notion of Thommo, all dressed up for Ascot, being forced/choosing to miss the actual racing and getting sent/agreeing to go elsewhere. It's the sort of thing that Alan Partridge would do.
Fair enuff Grey. In fact Thommo did change out of his Ascot finery into an ordinary suit, as per photos I posted on FF. He is a big supporter at Great Leighs - he really believes in what they are trying to do - and very well with the management and staff: he comes to all the meetings and works the crowds, who - in the main having no preconceptions as racing is new to them - absolutely love him. I don't think he minded coming up durng Ascot one bit - we all had a great time. There will be pics up on web-based eclipsemagazine sometime next week, I'll post a link!

The man really does work his socks off, I have a lot of time for him these days. And he is ALWAYS good humoured - as is Luke Harvey. I don't think the "common touch" is such a bad thing, in the job, and has its place along with the more detailed form merchants etc.

And then Chapman goes and spoils it all... apparantly the Pretty Polly was Stoute and Moore's first Group 1 together. Stupid.

:rolleyes: That's really elementary - or did he mean/say "in Ireland" or at the Curragh?
- that's how I understood it

I was waiting for him to say "in Ireland" or "abroad" but then that wouldn't be right either - they won the Matron at Leopardstown with Echelon.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 28 2008, 03:59 PM
I was waiting for him to say "in Ireland" or "abroad" but then that wouldn't be right either - they won the Matron at Leopardstown with Echelon.
...of the weekend?

Clare Balding at Hickstead:

"Just a reminder, we'll be showing the Irish Derby at the conclusion of this jump-off. But this is the Derby."

shrug::

I will repeat what I have said elsewhere - absolutely no sympathy with the idiots backing IR who are lazy enough to rely on a commentary alone and don't have the nouse to watch the race and work out what is going on for themselves.

Agree SL, but I think Catt hasnt been a decent commentator for many many years. Going on a decade, and he is one of many earning a good living as a racecaller, without any real expertise, and seemingly no consequence for inept performances.

Did Catt apologise?

Worse commentators than Catt are still earning good money on the back of their name alone.

Last edited:
I think Cattermole is definitely a far better presenter than commentator so I do agree with you to some extent - I also agree with you that there are worse commentators out there than him who are indeed earning good money on the back of their name alone.

I didn't see the race but by all accounts as soon as the judge called the result, Mike apologised for the error on air.

I was on a stag a few months ago and we were reminiscing about Alan Partridge horse names.

The best four were:

About Last Night
Two Headed Sex Beast
Massive Bereavement (my favourite)
The Bobby Davro Snooker Experience

Last edited:
Did anyone hear the Orange Peril's "interview" of AP the other morning on atr? Mondday iirc... It was so cringe-makingly awful I had to turn off. He had his tongue so far up AP's arse I thought his head would vanish - then read out to AP an email from someone who thought Ruby was a far better jockey, and asked him to comment. Alan Partridge himself couldn't have come out with such stuff...

In the mid-afternoon he was still droning on, and after a race where a horse I know a little about who'd been off for a long time, came in second totally out her legs and reeling all about the place, he opined that she 'probably didn't really want it and threw it away"! poor creature could barely stand... Off button again!

I also found it impressive that when discussing Kerrin McEvoy going back to Australia (as has now been confirmed) Willie started talking about him as if he were dead, referring to him in the past tense!

Back