Arse Cup

Dave "Compo" Compton has just delcared live on Attheraces that he doesn't think Hardy Eustace has the speed for today's 2m4f trip.

Is that the most inacurate piece of analysis ever?

Mark winstanley in the Weekender;

"I spent Sunday wrapped in bed with just the RP for comfort. My saving grace was the racing coverage on RTE, where Robert Hall and Ted Walsh show how the sport should be covered. The duo know more about the game than most of us have forgotten, but when they interview a trainer they don't fawn all over them like so many of our presenters are prone to doing".

I can't decide if he's deliberately trying to insult them, aim his point elsewhere, or whether he's mixed his metaphors up and been let down by his copy editor, but I swear the phrase is "forgotten more than most of us know" when trying to pass a compliment? Or could he being deliberately rude?

Last edited:
Mark winstanley in the Weekender;

"I spent Sunday wrapped in bed with just the RP for comfort. My saving grace was the racing coverage on RTE, where Robert Hall and Ted Walsh show how the sport should be covered. The duo know more about the game than most of us have forgotten, but when they interview a trainer they don't fawn all over them like so many of our presenters are prone to doing".

I can't decide if he's deliberately trying to insult them, aim his point elsewhere, or whether he's mixed his metaphors up and been let down by his copy editor, but I swear the phrase is "forgotten more than most of us know" when trying to pass a compliment? Or could he being deliberately rude?
If you don't understand something, Warbler, look it up. My Arse Cup nomination is your post above, and about 15% of previous posts where the posters show themselves to be bigger arses than those they are trying to lampoon.

I`m with Warbs. The phrase "forgotten more than most of us know" is the just fucking meaningless twaddle. It`s the sort of thing Down comes out with on a regular basis.

I think Warbler's mistake - in the context of an 'Arse Cup' thread - was to feel compelled to give any further qualification than "Mark Winstanley in the Weekender".........

I couldn't work it out, but surely if "you've forgotten more" about a subject (presumebly a lower base of knowledge as stuff has been retained?) then someone else knows, what your acknowledging is that even though you've forgotten stuff, you still know more? Or the knowledge that you've forgotten still amounts to more than what someone else knows?

What Winstanley's said is they "know more than he's forgotten", thus placing him as the superior source of knowledge.

"Obama also complimented the 84-year-old Israeli president on his relatively youthful appearance. "I also want to get his recipe for looking as good he does," Obama said. He added: "You have forgotten more than I will ever now," apparently a compliment, but disturbing to many Israelis who associate Peres with policies that ignored Palestinian terror attacks and agreement violations in the blind pursuit of peace that has ultimately proven deeply disappointing." _ from an Israeli journal (it was all I could find)

The inverse would be you know more than I've forgotten - still can't get it. Unless it amounts to two ways of saying the same thing?

Last edited:
I did a double read (hence the question marks in the original post) as I wasn't sure. I've heard the phrase, definately, but I've only ever heard people say "they've forgotten more than someone else knows" - with the insinuation that the forgetful person therefore possesses the greater knowledge. The sum of what they've forgotten on an issue amounts to more than what that someone else knows etc. I've never heard "know more than I've forgotten", hence why I asked if it were a deliberate insult, error, or have I just mis-read it

Last edited:
Sorry Warbler if I come across as having a go at you; my bugbear at the moment is that the Arse Cup thread used to be about undeniable arsiness in reporters and presenters, but it's morphed into slagging off anyone who works in the media for any perceived gaffe or even point of view we disagree with. Your post is perfectly valid in the grand scheme.

the Arse Cup thread used to be about undeniable arsiness in reporters and presenters

You mean things like this?

IMG_9289a.jpg

How did I manage to miss that piccy!

I do wish I'd bought the spread on the amount of 'big fellas' and mentions of the 'pin up girl' tonight.
I'd be quids in.

Arse!

Probably the wrong place to post this, but did anybody see the footage of the starlings that C4 showed on Friday. Truly remarkable.

Probably the wrong place to post this, but did anybody see the footage of the starlings that C4 showed on Friday. Truly remarkable.
I see them every evening on the way home, AC. They are preparing to roost in the fir trees in the ground of Smiths Industries, just up the road. As the various flocks join up and the main group gets bigger, you can see all the drivers alongside watching them.

It started as just one small flock in the area of the factory and now has groups coming in from all over Southam, Bishops Cleeve and Swindon Village. You can see smaller flocks flying in across the fields and joining the main "cloud", then suddenly they just drop. I was lucky enough to be alongside one of the trees when the birds just dropped into it .

Absolutely stunning, particularly if we have had a frosty day and the sky is clear.

Back