Arse Cup

McCririck did his nadgers over various presenters pronouncing it 'Stone of Scone' instead of 'Scoon' - quite rightly, too, as he's one of the very few to get any pronunciations right. It's one of those schoolboy in-jokes, like the Diet of Worms... :lol:

I found ATR more bearable than the Beeb today, with Jason managing to talk sense. Any more fashion witterings and sycophancy from Rishi would've driven me nuts.

Have just been able to see recording of the Gold Cup:in the background while the presentations were taking place, Willie Carson can be heard to say "load of arses. What are all those doing in here anyway?" Answers on a postcard which 'load' he was referring to.

If it has been before the race, knowing him I would have been tempted to say he was referring to the horses!
Apparently from someone who was there, the dress sense of a lot of people in the winners' enclosure also left a lot to be desired, but that could have been plain bitching.

don't normally comment on coverage as I don't really watch much with my back to the tv looking at the comp

but

ffs they have to get rid of Carson..I saw one bit earlier in the week with ronnie corbett..deary me..cringeworthy..that was a lowlight amongst so much re mr carson

then today..pershad or whatever his name is..was obviously coming on to the female presenter..basically sweet talking her on camera..absolute dire viewing.

Tommo gets a lot of stick but richi whatsit makes him look like Richard Attenborough

Beeb really do need to sort the mess out..or just ditch racing altogether

Mcririck being a total arse this morning,still wearing his top hat and still insisting everyone who backed Hatton Flight should get their money back.
Why?????

That all depends - sometimes he's talking utter crap about their conformation! He tried selling one to me at the sales recently and talked such shite it was untrue.

You wouldn't know it was a classic raceday at the Curragh judging by ATR's coverage, would you?

Pathetic stuff really; drove me to put up with Ted Walsh on RTE for most of the afternoon.

Walsh is an idiot of the highest order.

Such a pathetic man, condemns Spencer quite strongly for his wave but doesn't have the balls to say it to his face when Jamie is interviewed.

RTE racing is actually nearly as infuriating as the BBC given its completely nepotistic and self-congratulatory rubbish.

Jeez... you just knew someone would have to have a pop at Spencer for his little wave, didn't you? What a load of stuffed-shirt killjoys there are in racing. We want the general public onside to grow the industry for the future, and there we go, piddling about a little cheeky wave? I know, British showjumping almost self-combusted when Harvey Smith gave the V-sign to the judges all those years ago - but by God, every sport needs its levity, its bit of fun, and its occasional burst of emotion. Otherwise, let's start working on robo-jocks now and be done with trying to share in the good times!

Jeez... you just knew someone would have to have a pop at Spencer for his little wave, didn't you? What a load of stuffed-shirt killjoys there are in racing. We want the general public onside to grow the industry for the future, and there we go, piddling about a little cheeky wave? I know, British showjumping almost self-combusted when Harvey Smith gave the V-sign to the judges all those years ago - but by God, every sport needs its levity, its bit of fun, and its occasional burst of emotion. Otherwise, let's start working on robo-jocks now and be done with trying to share in the good times!

Agree completely.

In fairness, I didn't hear Walsh say anything about the cheeky wave (though I could well have missed it); was Robert Hall who described it as "unnecessary" and then didn't really take Spencer up on it.

In general I agree with The Golden Drifter, though - I'd sooner listen to Matt Chapman than Ted Walsh any day of the week.

In fairness, I didn't hear Walsh say anything about the cheeky wave (though I could well have missed it); was Robert Hall who described it as "unnecessary" and then didn't really take Spencer up on it.

In general I agree with The Golden Drifter, though - I'd sooner listen to Matt Chapman than Ted Walsh any day of the week.

He was pretty vehement in his condemnation of it in the very first replay of the race immediately after the race.

He then didn't say anything at all to Spencer when Jamie was interviewed. He's an absolute joke, outspoken on everything apart from anything that might slightly upset one of his old pals in the racing world.

He's like a wannabe Eamonn Dunphy with no balls or conviction.

Jeez... you just knew someone would have to have a pop at Spencer for his little wave, didn't you? What a load of stuffed-shirt killjoys there are in racing.

I'm no fan to be honest but today he was fully justified with that kind of performance. How come Dettori gets a free pass? He was gesturing after winning a crappy group 3 the other day.

Can't argue with him celebrating like that, the guy's a complete prick but let him have his day in the sun for gods sake. I was amused by his patting of the Oxx pacemaker after the line though!

What difference is there between Spencer's wave today and Soumillon's gesture at Ascot as Hurricane Run crossed the line, Carberry's gesture to Best Mate on that brilliant day at Leopardstown or Scudamore's to Denman at Kempton earlier this year? Very little in my book, yet it's interesting that they elicit sharply contrasting responses amongst many.

It's all down to whether the critic likes the jockey on a personal basis, tracks! No bias involved at all! There are loads of air punches, salutes, whip twirls, kisses to the sky/crowd/camera, even Johnny Murtagh genuflecting after one of YEATS's wins - it seems it just depends on whether you like the rider as to whether you think it's cute or cruddy.

I have nothing against Jockeys showing some joy in what they do(more of it please) but not at the expense of others. He could have done a back flip and sang 'simply the best' while standing on sariska's back and I would have found it amusing. However, I'm not into them slagging off other runners in a race. A minor incident that requires little more reaction than a raised eye brow but not something I enjoyed especially as I was very taken by the guts the runner up showed. I doubt the owner of the runner up appreciated it either.

I'm no huge fan of Spencer but I didn't think he was disrespectful in the way that Carberry or Scudamore was. The runner-up wasn't the hot hyped favourite a la Best Mate or Denman, she was a pacemaker whose run belied her odds (albeit for a runner other than Sariska) and I read Spencer's blowing-a-kiss gesture as "thank you, you beauty, you set that up perfectly" rather than as a "hurry up slowcoach" wave, backed up by the affectionate pat he gave her after the race. Fran Berry didn't seem too upset afterwards either, since he and Spencer were clearly having a bit of a laugh together as they pulled up.

Dave Compton....have to turn the sound down after every race this evening...dull dull dull.....sounds utterly bored and the whole time.

Sheikh, just to put you a bit more at ease about J. Spencer's little wave - the THL to SARISKA was in charge of Michael Bell's winner at Brighton this week and says that the boys are great pals - there's no way any offence was taken, including by RFTL's connections. It was just fun, and, as you saw, Spencer patted RFTL for her efforts, too.

I'm glad you think so, too, Gal - he really does sound as if it's all too much effort for him these days. Perhaps he thinks he's the antidote to Chapman's high-pitched over-emoting, but it's a total turn-off for me, in all senses. My favourite out of the pack is Sean Boyce - always looks committed and enthusiastic without being hysterical, and happy to disagree with viewers without disrespecting them.

Sheikh, just to put you a bit more at ease about J. Spencer's little wave - the THL to SARISKA was in charge of Michael Bell's winner at Brighton this week and says that the boys are great pals - there's no way any offence was taken, including by RFTL's connections. It was just fun, and, as you saw, Spencer patted RFTL for her efforts, too.

QUOTE]

Thanks Krizon, I know that the chaps are buddies but if the runner up where my horse I would be calling Spencer a few names along the lines of cheeky so and so....... :)

Back