Arse Cup

My favourite out of the pack is Sean Boyce - always looks committed and enthusiastic without being hysterical, and happy to disagree with viewers without disrespecting them.

and his interview with Dean McKeown last year was just fantastic viewing.

Blond bint after BARSHIBA's win at Newmarket and her holding her head awkwardly saying how it could be because she's blind in her right eye...

You think ??

Harsh but fair, trackside!

Sorry but she's paid to be a knowledgeable racing commentator! BARSHIBA has been around for a fair while, is an improving filly and has always raced like that. Admittedly, whassaname did point that out, although after having sounded suprised first (presumably someone told her that down her earphones and then also told her the filly's blind in her right eye...).

Nah it was Frank's wife Emma.

Another person who's made her way through the broadcasting ranks through talent alone,not!!!

emma spencer deserves it big time. she kept referring to the lancashire oaks as a listed race and repeatingly told us "this is tougher". what planet has she been living on...?

Why, is it different from realtime life, where you're expected to give knowledgeable answers to questions which are part of your job to know? A presenter's job is no different to a shop assistant's job - ask them where they keep the toilet rolls, and you don't expect to be directed to the meat counter. Anyone who works should be able to talk in an informed manner about their work, whether it's horse-racing, building aircraft, or growing roses. The fact that your work is on air doesn't excuse ignorance or idiocy.

Oh, for God's sake... who is the man calling at Tipperary? I know it's not Dessie 'Comatose' Scahill, so perhaps it's Mr O'Hehir? "O'MUIRAHUIRTIG - sorry, I know I've spelled him incorrectly! - is pulling up at the back... " two fences later... "O'M is in sixth... " (that'll be him in red colours, then?) ... a few yards before the winning line... "and O'M is second... " - ah, that'll be him in the yellow, will it?

That's a straight 10 on the Twit-o-Meter, closely followed by the total cock-up RUK, unused to anything but endless Flat or NH races, has made of an all-Arabian meeting at Newbury and harness-racing from Musselbugs. "Oh, I didn't know they used one of those motor things to start them" - pearls of wisdom from an astounded Lydia Hislop, a top racing journo (I'm told), while, confused by a false start, the cameras remove to Newbury, where, true to the tenets of Arab racing, they're ten minutes late, so that we can enjoy the full benefit of seeing horses to post, a loose horse, the stalls being locked into place, Emma Owen in a dress ("You're clearly not riding today... " from Nick Luck. No shit, Sherlock!), more views of the stalls, even more views of the stalls - and bugger-all of the harness race, which I was very much looking forward to in lieu of more half-schooled nags fumbling their way over hurdles elsewhere. As it is, having a race caller randomly inventing runners in Ireland is far more interesting.

You were right, especially now that we know the stunning outcome! I'd taken it for granted that we'd be 'gallant' again, again, but - crikey! Quelle surprise an' all that! Brilliant stuff.

I think RacingUK deserve an honourable mention in Arse Cup qualifying terms for agreeing to even televise the arab racing or the harness racing.

Oh, now, now, leave the curmudgeonliness to Honest Tom, dear!

How else were they going to fill the afternoon and keep their presenters in work? I'm a wee bit surprised that, following Setanta's demise, half of them haven't had the chop, to keep outgoings as low as possible. To be honest, I enjoyed both for a change. In fact, I'd really like racing to change completely (she says, with a Marie Antoinette-like wave of her gloved hand) - a perfect afternoon would be two Flat turf races, one hurdle, one chase, one Arab, one harness, one AW, one kiddies' pony racey-wacey. I can see that Ffos Las could manage that little lot for my amusement, so I think I'll bung 'em an e-mail with my brilliant suggestion.

Who says we can't excite the public to come racing?

I'm going to piggyback a bit of non-racing arsiness here: BBC1's correspondent in Rome, opining on young Tom Daley's diving chances in the championships. Cue backshot of Daley hurtling off the high board: "And this 14 y.o. is beginning to turn into a man... "

Feck's sake, I hope so! It's a bit late to enter him up for the Women's High Dive now!

Please tell me I'm not the only one that saw Thommo at Ascot?

"So how are you today, granny?" :lol:

edit: I'm clearly not; Chapman just picked him up on it!

Derek Thompson. WTF??!!!!

How come this man is still on national TV? He is an absolute disgrace to the 'art' of presenting! And that false laugh? Oh man. And like? Has anybody heard him commentating? Holy Samoley! He's UTTER sh1te. A mate of mine who isn't into racing (Gay boy) was at my house the other day and Thommo was on and he said "Who's the ars*ehole with the mike?" I just said "Yeah, well he's just got away with for so long now they don't bother sackin' him". He truly is an embarrassment. Has anybody got the address of the C4 producers? I have to write to them. This boy really needs to be sacked. He will be turning thousands of people away from racing. He's totally detrimental to the sport.

Ted Walsh? A wanna be Eamonn Dunphy? Jeez - I've heard it all now. Eamonn Dunphy is THEE biggest talentless waste of space of ALL time. He only EVER says anything to get his ugly boat in the papers! Ted Walsh is GOD when it comes to NH racing - GOD I repeat and don't you forget it. He's forgotten more about racing than you will EVER learn in 10 lifetimes. He's the best presenter on TV by a mile, was the best amateur jockey of all time (Would leave Ruby standing), a brilliant trainer and a man of the people. Sligeach go brea eh?

Last edited:
Back