Arse Cup

I thought Findlay's remarks after the GC (We broke his heart etc) were awful, but was willing to forgive the heat of the moment. Especially as he stood way back and allowed Mr. & Mrs Barber to lead in Denman.

Then he is interviewed in the RP on Sunday and is even worse. He may not be a complete 'arse' but he is definitely at the 'ar' stage.

I find Chapman quite entertaining, he makes At The Races in my opinion and is probably the most entertaining presenter on any of the racing channels.

Did I hear Richard Pitman correctly yesterday?

With 30 seconds to go before the start of the hunter chase, he mentioned that he had got a tip from two separate respected sources for Shepherds Hut, but that the choice on form had to be Cobreces.

Shepherds Hut won the race at 9/1 and Pitman said afterwards that he wished he had listened to his sources. Later, however, when doing the wrap-up he referred to a "heart-warming win" which would help pay for the diesel on the way home.

Did I hear correctly, was he talking about the same horse both times?

I remember him telling everyone that he was especially happy for connections of Rifleman, who had won an earlier race on the card, beacuse he tipped it. Thing was that rifleman lost. Think Brian H posted up the story as well.

ATR - more buffoons per square inch than any company I could imagine.

Did he say whose diesel?

An astute question. Could he have been referring to the diesel for the trainer's horsebox or does Mr Pitman happen to drive a diesel car? We need someone to tail him.

Originally posted by Garney@Mar 19 2008, 01:59 PM
ATR - more buffoons per square inch than any company I could imagine.
You're not far off - the idiots were interviewing "Anthony" Coleman at Chepstow yesterday according to their caption...erm, it's Aidan, you arseholes.

Mind you that's nowhere near as bad as whoever the hell Dave Orton is - apart from a clueless git that is - who, on writing the report from Warwick on Tuesday TWICE referred to Alan King's jockey "Richard" Thornton. FFS, that's like referring to Alan McCoy, Fred Dettori or Karl Fallon. Imbecile.

Arse (Thompson) and arse-in-waiting (Chapman) giving a plug to Thoomos's tipping line this afternnon, and Thompson had the neck to say that he gave two winners on the line yesterday (9/1 & 7/1?!?!).

A gentleman named Weaver on ATR has just told me that Charlie Mann has a runner on the flat tonight and that 'he rarely runs one on the flat but when he does he normally wins.'

For those interested in this sort of thing, CJ Mann has had 24 runners and 2 winners on the flat in the last five seasons. This represents a winning strike rate of 8%.

An unusual interpretation of 'normally.'

Emma was Arse Class wasn't she, holding the mike up to Pasquier [well these Frogs look all the same] ? - in fact she said "Well, it really is SOOO hot here" - oh diddums!

But I was more taken with ?Angus iirc saying as they eased down after the post 2.20 at Ascot:
"... And that's a first and second for the Hills twins! .... No, I mean, er, make that first and last!!"

I think Emma's improving in fairness, though still lacks gravitas even though she's doign the links and fills better.

Leaving that aside Lesley Graham, who was demoted to the support card today in preference to Emma at Lingfield was able to demonstrate her prowess at market moves "I'm amazed that Baledmar has been allowed to drift out to 13/2" - opening show? 7/1 :rolleyes:

Is it me or is Emma making a concerted effort to appear respectable nowadays? I suspect she's hd elocution lessons too - a few times I've noticed her deliberately and seemingly uncomfortably concentrate on what she is enunciating as she is speaking....

And who is the winner? Is it an annual award? How is the winner determined? Are they notified of their success? What is the prize?

We need to know.

I'm guessing a bit here Dom, but what the hell :D

In this weeks Raceform Simon Holt I think it was? paid her some complimentary back handers regarding her being the 'best turned out at Chester' (clothing) "a pleasure to work with" and said something about her easy going nature and "self-depracating" personality, and let slip the 'Posh and Becks' analogy.

Now could it be that with the larger than live 'personality' (and I use the word in the loosest possible sense of the word) having his air time reduced, (thankfully). That a vacuum has opened for a new face of Ch4 racing? I thought she did a fair job today and seems a damn sight more comfortable when she isn't surrounded by the egotists such as McGrath or McCrirrick, or "look at me" Thommo. Some of the other less dominant personalities seem to bring out a more easy going side in her, and she got the coverage to flow along quite nicely.

I also wonder a little bit about how some of the higher profile and established presenters used to belittle their female counterparts in a subtle way so as to lose them credibility in the public eye and reduce them to supporting scenary unworthy of comment (even though Tanya seems to regularly out tip the lot of them). Simple things like the nicknames they all were given?

'pouting hieress', 'posh bird', 'saucy minx', female' (note how Down always calls her Tanya). And what names did they give themselves 'Thommo' (hardly an insult) Jimbo (see comment for Thommo) 'Big Mac' (some delusion of grandeur) 'Greatest Jockey' 'Cat' 'GG'the nearest one you could find would be 'Fat Al'

I suspect she's spotted a bit of a window of opportunity, or more likely, someone in Ch4 has taken a decision to give her a higher profile?. Look at it logically. Clearly a strategic decision was taken to reduce McCririck's involvement. It's inconceivable that as part of the decision, some kind of forward plan wasn't conceived too? Who have you got?

McGrath - Too boring
Thompson - say no more
Francome - Too lazy
Tanya - Too Romford
Down - Not televisual
Graham - A bit staid

I don't expect for one side that the capricious side that used to surface in Emma has mysteriously gone away, but she's certainly improved. If I were looking for a face of Ch4 racing to take the sport forward and present a wider appeal, she'd be infinately preferable to the 'old school anchors' or ranting McCririck. Alright she still has to prove herself in order to anchor the coverage, but she's the most improved.

Back