Arse Cup

a few today with Carson..his best one was when they showed WF winning derby and he said the 2nd horse was cape blanco

he seems drunk this afternoon..even for him

I thought there was some terrible directing - lots of random shots unrelated to the commentary - I don't know if the BBC are at fault for that though or whether they were dependent on the French footage. During the Arc parde Jim McGrath was describing something completely different to what we were looking at on screen. Which does happen a lot with Jim McGrath but maybe not his fault this time!

EC1 - he probably decided to go with a name he could half-pronounce, never mind the accuracy! His pronunciation of anything not called Bert or Fred ranges from hilarious to excruciating.

Close! Also, can we get the race caller at Kelso to manage CASADEI (casa dei, God's house or House of God if you prefer) correctly, not Cassidy? Most of the callers are given pronunciation sheets or at least ask connections if they're not sure, but come on! It's not too difficult if you've been to school, surely?

Last edited:
EC1 - he probably decided to go with a name he could half-pronounce, never mind the accuracy! His pronunciation of anything not called Bert or Fred ranges from hilarious to excruciating.

:)

there was a suggestion on betfair that Willie & Jim had been involved in a drinking comp before this afto's programme

He was ok for me. That may have be because I was at work and watched the race on tape though. Tend to fast forward through the talking bits.

I wondered if it was just me, or did Clare looked hyperactive and Willie just out of it? At one point she took off across the parade ring as if the hounds of Hell were on her tail, gabbling wildly to camera. There's enthusiasm, and then there are signs of mania... or perhaps she'd really had enough of Oor Wullie by then!

Thompson's interview with Paul Howling in the paddock at York before Generous Thought's race was truly appalling. Discussing the horse's good run at Newbury last time out, Howling lamented the fact that the horse had gone up considerably in the weights for finishing a short-head second. Thompson's response: "Yes, but he's still a winner without a penalty..."

Despite his "previous", he who calls himself Tommo was at it again yesterday at York after Gunner Lindley's win: "...this horse just got caught on the line last time out and so basically was a winner without a penalty."

In fact, the handicapper had taken due note and had put the horse up 2lbs for that narrow defeat so Gunner Lindley was in fact a loser with a penalty. Still, close enough, Tommo, eh?

He went on to say in relation to the horse's SP - 8/1 third fav in a 20-runner race where only three horses went off at less than 10/1 - that "big-priced winners are I think the order of the day."

And I lost count of how many times he mentioned that Silvestre de Sousa had been champion apprentice in Brazil. De Sousa's self-restraint in not chinning Thompson during DT's deeply-patronising interview with him (in which Tommo adopted his default position of talking down to the interviewee like he's aged about five) was commendable.

Peter Naughton again - his interview with John Grogan was cringeworthy in how illustrative it was of PN's lack of research and gormlessness.

Dear thommo again yesterday at york talking about the number of runners trained by P Hanagan ER sorry i mean R Fahey think the poor guy is losing his marbles which is what will happen if i hear him say hanagan the managan one more time.

Despite his "previous", he who calls himself Tommo was at it again yesterday at York after Gunner Lindley's win: "...this horse just got caught on the line last time out and so basically was a winner without a penalty."

In fact, the handicapper had taken due note and had put the horse up 2lbs for that narrow defeat so Gunner Lindley was in fact a loser with a penalty. Still, close enough, Tommo, eh?

This made me laugh.

The pronunciation-challenged Chaparse calling DIOGENES 'Dio-jeans' several times yesterday, until presumably hearing Dessie calling him correctly, and managing to pronounce it properly afterwards. I expected dreadful corn about 'dodgy knees' but was mercifully spared.

The Racing Post for butchering their National Hunt Guide/Ten to Follow – the horse comments are about a third of the size and contain no insight whatsoever...

I'd forget about both of them and buy One Jump Ahead, which is much better than both and roughly the same price. Probably the best publication on the jumps, well researched, has stable comments from most top trainers, his 40 to follow list is genuinely worth keeping your eye on, and some other articles worth a look.

The section by Anthony Bromley well worth reading as well.

Have a look at his site if you think you may be interested..
http://www.mhpublications.co.uk/

Last edited:
One Jump Ahead is excellent; I buy it each year. The RP book is (or was!) specifically very useful for compiling a shortlist for one's ten to follow lines. Not so any longer, sadly...

Haven't come across the Timeform one, will check it out - thanks for the tip.

Aussie Jim deserves an honourable mention for what even by his standards was a shocking effort on the commentaries at Winsdor today.
Regularly calling the wrong horses,not being aware what was where in the races etc....
I know it's not an easy job but I thought would have at least learnt the colours prior to the races.

Last edited:
Why do the RP bother putting these race forums on? My girlfriend knows more about racing than Paul Kealy and Wally Pyrah (nice bloke as he is) from my mumblings.

As for the Winstanley videos...

Back