Ascot Gold Cup

Bulwark seems one for a cheap e/w punt, although two 8th places in this race the long break has seemed to do him good, and has looked better this season for this years renewal than any of his previous efforts yet is the bigger price, defintely has place claims for me.

Looking at him in the parade ring, he seems like a real stamp (!) of a horse compared to the others, very big and strong.

What a legend of a horse. Stunning performance and stunning to look at.

Just gorgeous, like a painting.

I could not be at Goodwood today and could not bear to watch him on television so went down the bookies with a local trainers wife. We were the only ladies in the place and everyone had tried to get some value in the race by doing a forecast and backing one of the big outsiders. When yeats came into the ring they all sighed and said it was plain they may as well tear up their betting slips. Only a few had the forecast, and even so as yeats cantered to the front they all broke out in applause for him.

Not something you see in a bookies from the old blokes who spend a lot of time in there. I've not seen this since See More Business got up from his fall at Chepstow Moscow Flyer cruised home yet again, and Persian Punch beat a favourite.

Wherever Yeats goes next I am going!

Make of this what you will - it's not going to be rocket science who else will have there say on this but, quite frankly, I'm done with TH. There's an element of stalking on here that is pretty unpleasant and, while I thought it would be OK to make the occasional post on here since I stopped moderating, it quite obviously isn't the case and I get the message my posts aren't welcome.

No great loss in the big scheme of things and I no doubt will exchange posts with those on TH that also post on FF.

Yep, spooky all this stalking isn't it - it's a good job they didn't scare you off for good!:whistle:

Some people have evidently spotted a recent batch of cyber stalkers on TH, and are trying to work out why they have only recently arrived back on here....:ninja:

Yes, haven't they just! Until a few days ago, Kathy my dearest, you had been posting on here rarely yourself. Here you are back, in a blaze of glory! Since you're asking the question, maybe you'll enlighten us as to why you came back all of a sudden?

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone....

Last edited:
Never have I been so relieved to see another pointless spat on here...I thought there was something wrong with Yeats when I saw this thread back up!!!

Hmmmm......if you say so, dearest.

You've hardly been posting on here until a few days ago (and exceptionally peaceful it was, too) and suddenly you're all over the place like a rash - bit strange to be accusing others of doing the same, isn't it?

Glass houses.....stones......

Obviously, you obviously don't have enough to do if you have nothing better to do than make up fairy tales about me stalking you, Kathy!

Brendan's website needs updating for a start, so why not start there ? :p

Yes, being so busy with all my other websites, and all my other business interests it's one that has fallen by the wayside a little. Thanks for the reminder. I will stick on my "to do" list.

Would you care to tell me which other of my websites need updating if you are stuck for something to do. Ta.

As far as I can see Songsheet or anyone else has as much right to post on the forum as anyone regardless of anything they have said in the past.

Dragging this thread up is pointless and tiresome and I hope the mods clean it up when they come back online.

In the mean time, unless someone wants to talk about Yeats fourth Gold Cup bid I suggest (and thats all it is) everyone leaves this be as it is going nowhere fast. The forum has been ticking along nicely of late and I hope all members try to maintain the peace....

Of course they do, Galileo. I am sure all forums like members returning especially after a break especially those that have something useful to contribute to the various discussions.

Is there that much glory in going for a fourth Gold Cup when arguably the best stayer in his stable is kept away from him. If not in the Gold Cup, lets at least see them get it on once.

Is there that much glory in going for a fourth Gold Cup when arguably the best stayer in his stable is kept away from him. If not in the Gold Cup, lets at least see them get it on once.

Has any horse ever won a fourth Gold Cup?

I doubt he would have the pace for a Champion Hurdle.

He might not have the pace for a Champion Hurdle - then again, would any of the CH runners have the pace or class to win a Gold Cup? Despite being a stayer on the flat he's pretty damn useful and I'm sure he could serve it up to the 2m hurdlers alright.

Should he be lauded for beating the likes of Finalmente, Geordieland, Sagara et al once again. It is only the strength in depth of the breeding operation of Ballydoyle that allows them the luxury of keeping this stallion in training. I don't want to knock the horse as he's a fantastic physical speciman, it's just that last year he put up his 2 best performances at Ascot and Goodwood when seeming to have something left in the locker. A clash with his stablemate would give us a better idea of how good they are. Surely nobody wants a repeat of a race like the Irish Leger last year which ended up as nothing more than a glorified exercise gallop.

I'd like to see them clash at Goodwood. I think any 8 (that what he is now?) entire winning a Gold Cup for the fourth time deserves every accolade going. Lets not forget many on here were writing Yeats off last year in a likely match up with the Fabre horse (name escapes me).

To be honest I think they would be mad to run Septimus on the likely fast ground at Ascot now. Imagine he came out of the Melbourne Cup very sore indeed.

I'd agree with you there DJ - and not only that, possibly Geordieland aside, none of the jocks riding other horses in the race either wanted to serve it up to Yeats or even get near him, allowing him to dictate as he wanted.

I certainly agree that it would be a real shame if Yeats retired without meeting Septimus.
Sheikh Mo would certainly test them if they were his - sometimes Ballydoyle / Coolmore can be exasterpating

Back