Ascot Gold Cup

Finally settled down and watched the replay great commentary by Simon Holt, really emotional. It is nice to have that and not some hum drum stufff while a good race and battle unfolds in front of us. Did remind me of him calling home Best Mate - and Persian Punch and his Doncater Cup win.

Just saw the little jink he did which meant he appeared to kick out at Regal Flush. He was kind of dancing as he came in.

Just watched the race again, truely magnificent efforts from the first three home.

Getting three Champion Hurdles out of a buzzy animal like Istabraq was one thing, but getting a third Gold Cup out of an entire like Yeats really must rank as O'Brien's greatest achievement?

If they agree to keep him in training for next year I would imagine we will be lucky if we see him again this year.

I don't think there's much left for him that would suit. He's won the Irish Leger, barely, and the trip is probably his minimum. They've horses better suited to it. Everything else would require him to carry a penalty, with the exception of the Cadran. Maybe with a long break he'd be good to go in that, and his form wouldn't tail off like it tends to, but it's a long way off and who knows what the ground will be like.

Yeats

Back to his very best on Thursday (127)
he looked awesome in the prelimiries and run one of his best race if not the best as a 7yo (all credit to Aidan).

I was on Coastal Path, he looked good in the race but didnt stay, will be interesting to see him in the Cadran or the Irish St Leger in a shorter distance.

Geordiland, should have been asked later but i would have a been a similar result.

nice edition of the Gold cup.

Do you think Aidan would let me have him for hurdling if he wasn't so inclined himself?? Hell, he'd jump a fence too!!!

Honolulu

Posted also a very good performance today 120+
He would like an ideal type for Chelteham, especially as I think he could be better in sfter ground than he found today.

Just reading a few quotes over the week and I really think Magnier, Tabor and O'Brien were taken aback by the reception Yeats recieved afterwards. I thought he would definitely retire this season, now I am not so sure.

I think you could be right, they all looked pleased, and surprised, when everyone started shouting for the horse and Johnny and stayed close to watch in Winner's Enclosure and even followed over to watch Yeats walking back out to the washing down.

It must be really enjoyable to own a horse that the public takes to heart and this in fact does not happen very often in flat racing, especially in a big stable. It is more often the little stables and horses who get a 'fan club'.

Shame that Ascot got rid of the old washing down outside of the pre parade, used to get brilliant photos of the horses after each race.

Difficult to know how to make it more than just a long list/racing record, though Brown Jack.

Unlike some stallions, SADLERS WELLS hasn't had what you would call an eventful or troubled career, so you might struggle a little to make it really interesting.

Don't get me wrong - I am not knocking the horse - how could anyone? But he had a good racing career, went straight to one of the premier studs in Europe, attracted some cracking mares, who produced cracking foals and the rest's history....

A quality horse with added good luck along the way.

Good point Songsheet, you could be right. Hard to bring about his presense on the pages of a book, and maybe the best place for him, and Yeats is in a book about Coolmore and Ballydoyle. A new book, one day, as the Vincent theme has been done a few times already.

The Sadlers Wells story would make more sense as part of a larger work on the Northern Dancer line in general.

Originally posted by Songsheet@Jun 24 2008, 01:10 PM

Don't get me wrong - I am not knocking the horse - how could anyone? But he had a good racing career, went straight to one of the premier studs in Europe, attracted some cracking mares, who produced cracking foals and the rest's history....

A quality horse with added good luck along the way.
I disagree. Old Vic, Opera House, Barathea, Carnegie, King`s Theatre, Entrepreneur, Dream Well and King of Wings had all disappointed at stud, so until Montjeu and Galileo came along it looked like the old boy wasn`t going to be a notable sire of sires.

I wasn't stating that he was an outstanding sire of sires, Euro - I said he sired cracking foals.

Which they have been. Your list fully supports that statement as they were all good racehorses.

It is strange that his earlier sons only seemed to be able to make it as good NH sires but perhaps that's down to proven 'nicks' becoming more obvious and working with younger broodmare sires, maybe.

Originally posted by rorydelargy+Jun 24 2008, 10:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rorydelargy @ Jun 24 2008, 10:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Songsheet@Jun 24 2008, 10:32 PM
Which maybe is more than Ven does....
I'd guess he's forgotten more about breeding than most of us have ever learned... [/b][/quote]
I would guess you're spot on there, Rory...

Back