Ballydoyle 2 Year Olds 2010

Cheers Gal.

These big field maidens and nurseries are usually strictly watching briefs, but I might make an exception for Poltava in the mile nursery. Very much caught my eye at the Curragh last time up (since dropped 2lbs) and with the step up to a mile hopefully the catalyst for further improvement, 12's looks a fair e/w price I reckon.

Where was the posting again about Ballydoyle not having a 3 year old Group 1 winner next season...or something along those lines?

Page 13 of todays Racing Post backs up my point that OBrien will struggle to win a UK 3yo colt Group 1 next season.

Am I misunderstanding the odds you were offering back in early October, 1/8 that he would and 9/2 that he wouldn't ?

Again, perhaps I'm am not understanding, but if he is going to struggle to win one, should it not be more like odds against ?

No. I dont have my file with me but I think there are 13 Group1s in the UK open to 3yo colts. For him to be odds against he would need his crop of 2yo ever and I doubt that is the case. I would certainly back him at anything 7/2 or bigger not to have one.

Page 13 of todays Racing Post backs up my point that OBrien will struggle to win a UK 3yo colt Group 1 next season.

A couple of seasons ago Ballydoyle had one UK juvenile winner - Westphalia in the Champagne Stakes. The following season they produced Rip Van Winkle, Mastercraftsman, Fame And Glory etc.

Just thinking about some of their less exposed colts with a view to next year, the only two that come to mind are Recital (admittedly a pretty exciting prospect) and Apache.

Any others?

In Roderic O'Connor and Zoffany they have to legitimate Guineas contenders - and they have any number for the Derby that will emerge.

Recital and or Exodus look like he goes for the Group 1 at Saint Cloud in a couple of weeks.

Seville - arguably the most promising of the lot - probably falls into this category as well.

I can't remember off the top of my head the last time (if ever) O'Brien even ran a horse that hadn't raced as a 2yo in the Derby.

With hindsight he was indeed.

Seriously though I'm surprised is as big as he is for next year's Derby. Bare form looks average enough, but I thought he shaped like a classy horse.

Back