Bet Victor Gold Cup Cheltenham Sat Nov 17th

No rain forecast.

Watering is the big issue but they're doing a better job with that these days at Cheltenham.

It looks like being a relatively dry run through to Christmas. Hopefully the Hennessy will be run on decent ground too.

ofqdli.jpg

Kings Socks declared. First time tongue tie and first run after a wind op. A toss up between him and Mister Whitaker for me but I won't be betting much in any event.

The Kalondra punt appears to have slowed up as backers nibble away at the double-digit horses. I think this will correct itself over the next 36 hours.

It's not his first wind op either, so there's no reason to expect significant improvement compared to anything seen previously.

I'll probably be eating my words on Saturday afternoon, but I have him in the dog category.

Hold fire on any Benatar bets until you've seen the declarations later, waiting for test results this morning on a lung problem apparently.

Kalondra win would now pay my biggest win on a single bet yet.

The double with Cogry I'll take a year off work. Cogry my nap of the day for tomorrow.

Should Frodon be 32 on the machine? I don't think we will see any horse go off less than 9/2.

It certainly shouldn't, so should those who rate his chances be worried?

I don't think so. There are just so many "sexy" horses in the race that's he's taking a back number. Maybe one Pricewise might put up?

Last edited:
I don't think so. There are just so many "sexy" horses in the race that's he's taking a back number. Maybe one Pricewise might put up?

It's a ridiculously deep race and I still think Kalondra is going to be extremely difficult to beat, let alone kick out of the frame. I was in town today and made a rare visit to the bookies to see the first race. I looked at what Kealy had to say while I was waiting. I don't know how often he does this but I noticed he had what looked like a space filler at the end of his item in which he emphasised how strongly he fancies Kalondra. I still think it will shorten up again in the morning and could go off about 5/2.

I think if Pricewise was putting up Frodon word would have been out before now and it would have gone blue.

I can actually see me taking out some sickness insurance on stablemate Roman De Senam despite his defeat last week. I have a very high rating for him and he was very heavily backed last week but I was never entirely happy with the ride he got without it actually looking like a non-trying ride. I wouldn't put it past Nicholls to have used that race as a prep before coming out after a win here (assuming a mishap for Kalondra, of course :p) and saying he just needed t last week, or it was too short, not run to suit, etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Kalondra win would now pay my biggest win on a single bet yet.

The double with Cogry I'll take a year off work. Cogry my nap of the day for tomorrow.

Best of luck, Double. My fancy for the first chase on the television tomorrow is Royal Vacation, who caught my eye on Boxing Day at Kempton just under two years ago. Something fell at the last, (the favourite?), so he was left a dozen lengths clear of Virgilio. Virgilio is no mug by any means but based on the weights for this tomorrow, he should be treble the price of Royal Vacation. That was some performance by Royal Vacation, to beat Virgilio by that distance, off level weights. He then won next time out at Cheltenham, beating future winner Potters Legend, and the Paul Nicholls trained Ibis Du Rheu, who was back in third. Coincedently he runs in the 1:15 here at Cheltenham tomorrow. So yeah, I will take a chance that Royal Vacation comes back to his best form.

Last edited:
Best of luck, Double. My fancy for the first chase on the television tomorrow is Royal Vacation, who caught my eye on Boxing Day at Kempton just under two years ago. Something fell at the last, (the favourite?), so he was left a dozen lengths clear of Virgillo. Virgillo is no mug by any means but based on the weights for this tomorrow, he should be treble the price of Royal Vacation. That was some performance by Royal Vacation, to beat Virgillo by that distance, off level weights. He then won next time out at Cheltenham, beating future winner Potters Legend, and the Paul Nicholls trained Ibis Du Rheu, who was back in third. Coincedently he runs in the 1:15 here at Cheltenham tomorrow. So yeah, I will take a chance that Royal Vacation comes back to his best form.

Might Bite the something that fell.

Back