Betfair Chase Haydock Park Sat Nov 24th

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kauto Star will face a maximum of 13 rivals in the Betfair Chase at Haydock on Saturday, the first leg of the Betfair Million.

Paul Nicholls' chaser, who beat Beef Or Salmon by 17 lengths in the Grade One event 12 months ago, will be looking to give his handler a welcome boost by returning to his brilliant best.

The champion trainer suffered a dreadful weekend, losing two promising young chasers at Cheltenham as well as his number one jockey Ruby Walsh to injury.

Kauto Star lost for the first time in 18 months on his seasonal reappearance in the Old Roan Chase at Aintree when Monet's Garden fought him off, but Nicholls warned at the time he would improve significantly for the run.

Nicholls has also entered Royal & SunAlliance Chase winner Denman, but his main aim remains the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury the following weekend.

Taranis is another option for the Ditcheat team after his recent victory in the James Nicholson Chase at Down Royal

Chief opposition is expected to come from Alan King's Arkle winner My Way De Solzen, who is stepping up to three miles for the first time over fences, and Kauto Star's old adversary Exotic Dancer, who chased him home in both the King George and the Gold Cup

Charlie Hall Chase winner Ollie Magern will be hoping to get closer than last year when he could only finish fourth.

Ferdy Murphy's Aces Four could continue his build-up towards a crack at the King George, while Madison De Berlais is David Pipe's sole entry.

Beef Or Salmon, runner-up for the last two years, is once again entered, along with Charlie Swan's Offshore Account.

Cheltenham Gold Cup third Turpin Green may represent Nicky Richards while Monkerhostin could run for Philip Hobbs.

Carl Llewellyn's Too Forward and Peter Bowen's Yes Sir complete the line-up

Any reason he hasn't been out this year? Are they taking it a little easier on him this year to ensure he is still fresh enough for Cheltenham?

Hourigan is clearly looking to pick off the big ones with him this year.

I can see him taking the Betfair, King George or Lexus followed by the Gold Cup this season.

If he gets a bit of cut, he is a serious force to be reckoned with.

He can drop back in trip for the Tingle Creek too, might as well be picking up Grade 1 #15 by the end of the season.

Hope he doesnt run in the Gold Cup this year, I've backed him every year, let me have a year off please Mr. Hourigan! Does'nt owe me owt though, he's a legend to me, never forget him collaring The Listener in the Hennessy, in your time Beefy no rush.

Hope it rains all week now, then Kauto Star can become the latest Gold Cup winner to be beaten by the mighty BOS. A win on these shores will cement his legendary status Irish Stamp!

Doesn't BOS usually have a pipe-opener on the flat or is he a little long in the tooth these days?

Beef Or Salmon has not run due to the fast ground. He has no chance on Saturday...at his best he would obviously be a leading player but he is long past it.

This looks one heck of a race...seeing all these top horses clash more often..the betfair bonus really has done the trick.

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Nov 19 2007, 02:02 PM
Hourigan is clearly looking to pick off the big ones with him this year.

I can see him taking the Betfair, King George or Lexus followed by the Gold Cup this season.

If he gets a bit of cut, he is a serious force to be reckoned with.
are you taking the *****?

I doubt there will be anywhere near this much rain but what price Beefy if it were genuinely heavy ? and he was in 2007 Hennessy winning form ?

I think his Hennessy rating is far too high. Last year he just grinded and grinded....in previous years he travelled like a class horse and did horse for toe at the end of his races in soft ground.

Originally posted by Galileo@Nov 19 2007, 05:36 PM
I think his Hennessy rating is far too high. Last year he just grinded and grinded....in previous years he travelled like a class horse and did horse for toe at the end of his races in soft ground.
I agree . The Listener had him stone cold until getting so tired close home .

MWDS and TG can run these ragged. Vote goes to the Richards horse who is deadly when fresh.

Can't have Kauto, especially with ST on board.

If King's top class horses are anything to go by, MWDS will need the run. Voy {or Ustedes ran a cracker on Sunday, but wasn't pushed hard to win when giving about loads of wreight.

Not sure about that . The Betfair bonus I suspect will mean that MWDS is a lot more primed than VPU .

Not sure about that . The Betfair bonus I suspect will mean that MWDS is a lot more primed than VPU

I agree Ardross, no point leaving him short of fitness with a pot like that on offer. BOS will probably have to settle for second behind MWDS!

I cannot believe KS can keep getting away with some of the mistakes he makes, do not want to see him fall obviously but it must be a concern. Did jump better the last time though I suppose.

Back