Betfair Hurdle Sat Feb 16th Ascot

I honestly can't remember and I've packed up the form and put it away until I get home next week.

It just struck me as an unlikely 'type' for Pipe and was his only entry. I have the likes of Friday Night Light reasonably handicapped and he didn't bother entering it. The horse can't possibly be exposed after just four career runs and maybe they were kept low-level to ensure this kind of mark knowing it would end up near the bottom of the weights.

I'd mentioned earlier in the thread that in recent years a mark just under 130 has made the cut and this year Ratoute Yutty (122) would have got in had he stood his ground as we already have a field less than the max so there would have been no cut-off.

Then again, I'm struggling to think of any other decent handicap hurdlers Pipe has. He seems to have a lot of dross these days.

Hard to see this going ahead now given today’s shutdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like final declarations were made just recently, 21 confirmed according to oddschecker.
Whether they'll be racing this Saturday is another matter...

Last edited:
Seems to be a differing approach to Ante-post bets Bet365 have refunded straight away, Ladbrokes are it seems letting the bets stand until perhaps the race is rescheduled ? Either that or are just slow refunding the bets. Not sure what other firms are doing.

I've got nowt serious but if anyone holds a good position on the likes of Al Dancer at 12's or Mont wotsit at 33's or something it might depend on who your with as to whether the bet will stand if the race is moved to next Saturday.

I've never been clear on the rulings of these things but it should at least be a rule across the boards bets either stand in terms of a race run at a later date or they don't. Personally I'm not sure whats best as If I've backed something midweek like I have done this week, then I'd based the selection on Soft/ Heavy ground having looked at the weather forecast obviously in a week's time if we've had a dry week my bet would be down the swanny. If I'd had something long range like Al Dancer who's probably gone from 16's into 4's then obviously I'd want it to stand regardless.

If they can reschedule, I think it's more likely to be run next Thursday or Friday rather than Saturday.
In 2011 they moved it to the Friday after the electric issues in the paddock.

A proper customer-orientated bookie would give punters the option to let the bet roll or have it refunded.

Are all bets void (if that's the route the bookies take) or just the ones that were still running at the declaration stage?

It can work both ways. I once backed a horse a/p for the Triumph at 33/1, Bourbon Street or something like that, and it was 6/4f come the day only for the meeting to be abandoned. Money refunded but I missed the value because it was favourite when the book re-opened for the postponed running. The ground had come fast by then so I decided against the fav and backed Connaught River (or was it Ranger?) instead and it won at 20/1.

Maybe if this race is rescheduled I'll find something different to back.

I recall backing a horse with Lads for the King George in 2010 when it got frozen off and rescheduled for a couple of weeks later.

I asked them to void the bet arguing that I wouldn’t back the horse for a race in mid-January but the bastids insisted the bet stood. Sure enough the horse didn’t turn up (I’m sure it was all set to run on Boxing Day) so the bet was lost

Beware the Magic Sign

Was racing cancelled due to Equine Influenza years ago also in UK, pre vaccination in late 60s early 70s anyone ?
How long did it last that time ?

foot and mouth, November 1967, shut down two months and even longer in some areas. June 68 all clear. Massey Ferguson and king George lost.

Think that was the only shutdown until 2001.

edit: the Massey Ferguson was held on a ‘Transistor Track’ ;)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp_ndcKNZHM

Last edited:
I've been in my local Ladbrokes shop to see if I would be able to receive the anti-post sterling invested on The Betfair Hurdle, but apparently all bets stand as it may be rescheduled.

Last edited:
BHA spoke of an outbreak in 1979 that disrupted racing and caused the compulsory vaccination regime from 1981, that I have little memory of apart from P T Walwyn's stable among others closing down .
ITV had a virtual King George Chase also with a large liquid lunch for connections and press.
Julian Wilson offered Lord Oaksey 500/10 about his mount which John duly took up though he never bet while riding .
The horse duly won, Julian paid up and Lord Oaksey wrote an article on how he managed to win such a prestigious chase on an indifferent jumper !
All tongue in cheek but the owner took offence and jocked him off!

Hhhhrrummmpphhhh...

I tried to access my B365 account yesterday to see if there were any messages to that effect but was blocked because I was trying to access it from Spain. I might give them a bell when I get home tomorrow.

Hhhhrrummmpphhhh...

I tried to access my B365 account yesterday to see if there were any messages to that effect but was blocked because I was trying to access it from Spain. I might give them a bell when I get home tomorrow.

That's hurt you more than me DO,and tout seul,as I only had 16s but I feel for you.and Simmo.

Last edited:
Managed to cash in my bet on Leoncavallo with Bet365 for a couple of £ profit just before the shutdown was announced

Have to feel sorry for them being robbed of a chance to win the race.

The gamble from 20/1 to as low as 13/2 on the aforementioned Didtheyleaveuoutto has come about as expected. If it stays dry until Saturday Nick Gifford will be even more confident about a horse he thinks is quids in of 139..fingers crossed he is right

Back