Big Brother 8

I`d wager a lot of the same people who call it mindless think nothing of watching Eastenders or Corrie. What`s the feckin difference?

The difference is that the mindless nonsense of East Enders and Corrie has gone on and on for year after increasingly-desperate year, while the mindless nonsense of BB takes a bit of a break, thank God. Apart from that, they're all ghastly.

C4 are having to apologise for broadcasting the racist and bullying behaviour of Jade Goody, The girl out of SClub and the footballers girlfriend.

The behaviour of the girls towards Shilpa Shetty was disgraceful and extremely ugly. But didnt the broadcasting of their behaviour serve some purpose in the lessons that can be learnt from their bullying by those watching, such as school kids.

The bullies lost everything in their professional lives as a result of their behaviour towards Shilpa, and their lives for a while were made a misery. For all we know they may still be finding life difficult as a result of their behaviour both in public and in trying to make somesort of living.

C4 and any other broadcaster are now going to think twice about showing such behaviour. Bullys and racists may think they can do what they like, as television wont show their behaviour for fear of an OFCOM backlash.

C4 should not have apologised. The views of those within the program are not necessarily shared by the broadcaster.

Uncle. I had to read your first sentence a couple of times, I thought you were saying that Jade Goody was from S Club and was a footballer's girlfriend!!!! :shy:

Goober - as one whose pet theory is that the human race is going back to the trees, do you really think that teenage bullies would have the nouse to have seen what happened at CBB as a wakeup call and stop bullying others??

For what it's worth (5p, tops) I imagine their type will feel even more aggrieved and aggressive now. "Some Indian tart comes over here and WE have to apologise?" - sorry, but that's the sort of garbage they're most likely to spout. The only purpose Jade served was to show that Little England attitudes still exist, even among the young(ish), even among people brought up with 'foreigners' next door, even when tv, film, music, clubbing, sport, integrated schools and God knows what would, you might think, have knocked racism on its ugly head. Not a bit of it - the underlying ignorance and stupidity is still there.

I don't watch Corrie and I've never watched Eastenders. They're just mindless sh*t programmes.

The difference with BB is that it's voyeurism at its lowest, cheapest and nastiest and plumbs depths that Jacques Cousteau could only dream about. It's a very sad reflection of 21st Century society that it's popular, although there is some hope in the sense that its popularity does seem on the wane.

SL, No of course I dont think that it would change those that are ALREADY bullies, in the same way that sex education doesnt stop girls getting pregnant at 14.

There is an educational programme in place ( is there!?) to educate those who we dont want to get pregnant too early in life and why. It doesnt stop it happening does it, but it may stop a few.

Whatever is currently taught about bullying and why it is wrong , that doesnt wipe it out either, but it may sink in to a few at an early age.

The Big Brother example may have got through to a few people , I dont think anyone should apologise for it being shown.

Yes the human race is going back to the trees, but there is always hope, if only a glimmer.

I see your point but I'm not so sure the idea would sink in to the very small brains of the morons who bully. I especially still can't see a justification for the shite that is Big Brother to be screened on TV! Roll on a murder à la Ben Elton's Dead Famous is what I say!!! :laughing:

Originally posted by uncle goober@May 25 2007, 08:12 AM
C4 are having to apologise for broadcasting the racist and bullying behaviour of Jade Goody, The girl out of SClub and the footballers girlfriend.

The behaviour of the girls towards Shilpa Shetty was disgraceful and extremely ugly. But didnt the broadcasting of their behaviour serve some purpose in the lessons that can be learnt from their bullying by those watching, such as school kids.

The bullies lost everything in their professional lives as a result of their behaviour towards Shilpa, and their lives for a while were made a misery. For all we know they may still be finding life difficult as a result of their behaviour both in public and in trying to make somesort of living.

C4 and any other broadcaster are now going to think twice about showing such behaviour. Bullys and racists may think they can do what they like, as television wont show their behaviour for fear of an OFCOM backlash.

C4 should not have apologised. The views of those within the program are not necessarily shared by the broadcaster.
They covered it up and connived at racism to boost their ratings - they should more than have apologised - the senior management teamshould have gone :angy:

Originally posted by uncle goober@May 25 2007, 02:33 PM
SL, No of course I dont think that it would change those that are ALREADY bullies, in the same way that sex education doesnt stop girls getting pregnant at 14.

There is an educational programme in place ( is there!?) to educate those who we dont want to get pregnant too early in life and why. It doesnt stop it happening does it, but it may stop a few.

Whatever is currently taught about bullying and why it is wrong , that doesnt wipe it out either, but it may sink in to a few at an early age.

The Big Brother example may have got through to a few people , I dont think anyone should apologise for it being shown.

Yes the human race is going back to the trees, but there is always hope, if only a glimmer.
Showing cause and effect of bullying on the bullies themselves, i.e. they lose everything, would surely have a chance of getting through to those who are so celebrity obsessed to make Jade Goody a millionaire.

The original idea of the show, so they told us, was as a human experiment - to see how people reacted in different situations. As time has passed they found it necessary to manufacture these situations. This, as manufactured as it was, is surely everything they were after.

Show the plebs what happens. Don't insult their intelligence. This was the ultimate BB moment and they blew it.

I am not sure how it was covered up Ardross , apart from the fact that I considered it a bullying issue rather than a racism issue. It was fairly widely covered and it did make the 'proper' News. I am not sure why you say the management team should have gone.

Yes, situations on this show are manufactured. The applicants 'profiles' are thrown together with a mission to see them react against each other in the name of entertainment and/or experimentation, but surely nobody could have foreseen the bullying by the 'thick celebrity' the 'popstar' and the 'footballers girlfriend model' against the actress from India.

The bullying, ugly as it was, was not entertaining, it was ugly, but it was real life. Real stupid people behaving in an ugly , moronic way, unscripted and unmanaged. It was pure Ugly. Not Eastenders , not Coronation Street but real. If it were a Hollywood movie then the bullies get their comeuppance, and didnt they just. Real life mirrored art, or is it the reverse ? The good guy, Shilpa , emerged triumphant, whilst the bullies were booed and lost their contracts.

What was covered up?

Those who react against the program with a closed mind are no more intelligent than those they insult for voting winners and losers.

It is always at least mildly interesting to see how 12-14 strangers , egotistical and fame-crazy as they are, react against each other in this situation of Big Brother. I make no apology for it, and I have more brain cells than you can possibly fathom, but to me it is interesting.

Channel four should be congratulated.

Originally posted by uncle goober@May 26 2007, 01:24 AM

It is always at least mildly interesting to see how 12-14 strangers , egotistical and fame-crazy as they are, react against each other in this situation of Big Brother. I make no apology for it, and I have more brain cells than you can possibly fathom, but to me it is interesting.

Channel four should be congratulated.
That`s exactly where i am with this. Any other kind of reality tv is a total turn off, mainly because i can`t stomach "celebrities."

I used to play football with a Chanelle LE, number 5 - cracking centre half :)

I read that there's an ex-lap dancer and a woman from the WI - should be funny :laughing:

I have it from a good source that the 1st two into the house are a pair of well blessed 18-year-old female twins.

Oh well, I guess I could watch the first episode.........

Is it the one's who told the Sheffield Wednesday fans to "f**k off"?
They looked quite entertaining - pretty decent half time entertainment too and they could sing :)

Uncle G - apparently they covered up the racist limerick and warned that ghastly O Meara off camera

Is she the ex-lap dancer or Kieran Richardson's cousin?

Presume she's not the WI lady or oldest ever representative in the house or the nanny (which The Sun also mentioned)

Back