Black Caviar

I think that is a quite likely scenario for Bated Breath. I wouldn't want to be lumping on for the King's Stand I don't think.

Well done Roger Charlton,

Gave that Aussie no mark a lovely word of warning "we knocked 1.60s of track record"

Aye, a track that's only had a handful of decent 5f races, none of them on ground as fast as today's. :lol:
Fwiw, Bated Breath travelled well throughout, and though he may have been fortunate to beat Sole Power, he's much the likeliest to last home over the stiff 5 at Ascot.

No argument here - just that you might have been disappointed if they hadn't broken the track record given the conditions.

The front two pulled clear of their field today and are both very smart sprinters.

pulled clear of 105 + 104 rated horses..making the winner + 2nd something like 117 horses [thats being generous]

Black Caviar is rated 130 on the world rankings..she gets 3lb fillies allowance making her 133 in effect for a male to beat her

so today's winner just has to improve 16lbs to tie with her..thats with her only being a 130 horse..a rating based on her basically exercise cantering in races up to press

best o luck with it

He's a fair bit better than 118 judged on his runs in the July and Sprint Cup's last year.

he beat Hoof It 119 by a head...so lets go 120

can you tell me where he is going to improve over a stone?

are you not one of the people who for the past few years has been saying how poor our sprinters are??

Last edited:
best o luck with it

Thanks EC. Won't be using any luck up in opposing this one though. BC will need it all going for her to be assured of victory... it will take a big performance to win and Ascot and all things taken together it'll likely be too big of an ask for her.

He's a fair bit better than 118 judged on his runs in the July and Sprint Cup's last year.

Correct. His form is rock solid with Dream Ahead, who was as good a sprinter/7F horse there has been in Europe for some time. If he has improved, then he will be hard to beat at Ascot..

"It'll likely be too big an ask for her" suggests that she is more likely to lose than she is to win. Black Caviar at bigger than evens would be a maximum bet and mortgage job. :ninja:

"It'll likely be too big an ask for her" suggests that she is more likely to lose than she is to win. Black Caviar at bigger than evens would be a maximum bet and mortgage job. :ninja:

Yes SteveM you had said she was, prior to the Temple Stakes, a worthy favourite that was opposable and we're still waiting for the nominated opposition. Now after the Temple the winner(and 2nd fav), is likely to swerve Black Caviar and you have downgraded her Ascot chance to 'likely' too big an ask for her. Puzzled.

Yes SteveM you had said she was, prior to the Temple Stakes, a worthy favourite that was opposable and we're still waiting for the nominated opposition. Now after the Temple the winner(and 2nd fav), is likely to swerve Black Caviar and you have downgraded her Ascot chance to 'likely' too big an ask for her. Puzzled.

Yes still waiting to see who lines up against her as I've said all along. BB is likely to go for the King's Stand but there are several others with as good if not better form (one of which is BC). BC is a worthy favourite but not at odds on and certainly still opposable. Good sprinters will oppose her and she has to travel halfway round the world, she is a worthy favourite on form but yes it is also likely to be too big an ask for her, for similar reasons as it is usually pays to oppose Northern hemisphere good things in the Melbourne Cup for example.

I've no wish to upset BC fans. I reckon she has it all to do though.

Last edited:
Travelling around the world card surely isn't still applicable in this day and age is it?

Australian sprinters have a phenomenal record in the Ascot sprints.

Put simply I believe she is less likely to achieve her best form than many in the race. While several in the race will not only run to their best marks but surpass them due to having more scope for improvement. This is why I'm opposing her.

Put simply I believe she is less likely to achieve her best form than many in the race. While several in the race will not only run to their best marks but surpass them due to having more scope for improvement. This is why I'm opposing her.

you haven't said why she is less likely to run to her form though Steve..as Stan says..the travelling isn't a negative..the best sprinters in the last 10 years here have been Australian..scope for improvement?..which ones are those?

its making me laugh this tbh..i must look through some threads for last year..the concensus on the forum then was that our sprinters are gash and have been for years..now all of a sudden we have a dearth of top class sprinters that will all improve..wtf?:)

Last edited:
It was Bated Breath's first run of the year though and he is better over 6f I would think.

Why would Bated Breath go up against Black Caviar? Charlton is no fool he knows he is going to have his hands full with Ortensia over 5 furlongs who beat Sole Power much more convincingly at Meydan than he did at Haydock. Connections of Ortensia would have no problem admitting that they are not even in the same universe as Black Caviar.

Unless she gets injured I'm pretty sure she'll be there on the day.

The fact that Charlton is going for the Kings Stand speaks volumes....

More hyperbole from her Ozzie couterparts - This is a quote from Ortensia's trainer (Bearing in mind this horse has recently won two group 1 sprints!):

Ortensia is also entered in the six-furlong Diamond Jubilee Stakes at the Royal meeting, but Messara insists she will only line up if her compatriot Black Caviar does not make the race.

The latter is unbeaten in 21 career starts to date and Messara is better placed than most to assess the chances of her extending that record on her first visit to England.

"It could be a possibility Ortensia could run in both races but only if something went wrong with Black Caviar, she had a setback or something, and she didn't run," said the trainer.

"Mate, Black Caviar is going to give your horses a whipping!

"She's obviously got to come over yet, which is a challenge in itself, but if she runs I think she'll give all of them a good hiding - the others will get wind burn as she goes past them. I just hope a few take her on."

Funny how they are avoiding Frankel though.

She'll will probably come over a give us a hiding and there will be nothing we could do about it although what that would do for her career? not much, it's just a personal issue with the British from Peter Moody.

Personally, you want to come over here and shut us up about Frankel then run in the Sussex, no trip worries for her as she's never been of the bridle and if they are so obnoxcious about us running pacemakers they should set her off in front with Frankel chasing behind.

All though that's all a dream now because they bottled it - "not right for the horse" whilst winning a Golden Jubilee or Kings Stand is? why not go to Japan because that's a serious level of Racing over there.

Would be funny with the year of the Queen if we managed to lower her colors with Bated Breath or someone..

Surely she's coming over here to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that she is the best sprinter in the world?

What has that got to do with taking on Frankel?

Back