Bloodstock 2011

Colin, I'm sure Miesque will be able to give a better answer than I can when available but my understanding is that good stallions 'stamp' their stock i.e. they look like them. You could probably indentify a Sadlers Wells yearling just on looks . Invincible Spirits are handy athletic looking types etc . With the mares STS got, throwing to the dam won't be a disaster in the short term at least. Interesting they are feisty and wilful I believe STS was super cool but born to sea is a bit feisty and willful.

Colin, I'm sure Miesque will be able to give a better answer than I can when available but my understanding is that good stallions 'stamp' their stock i.e. they look like them. You could probably indentify a Sadlers Wells yearling just on looks . Invincible Spirits are handy athletic looking types etc . With the mares STS got, throwing to the dam won't be a disaster in the short term at least. Interesting they are feisty and wilful I believe STS was super cool but born to sea is a bit feisty and willful.

By “throwing to the dam” I would take it that Miesque is saying that STS isn’t stamping his progeny with definable characteristics but that the dams are proving genetically dominant. Whether this is true or not we can’t really have much of a way of telling until they perform.

In the meantime, we have looks and discernable characteristics to go on. Possibly Miesque means they are looking (and behaving) more like the dams than the sire and that their characteristics are being derived from the mares. Not much to go on thus far though from such a small sample.

Last edited:
Yes, I mean physically they tend to resemble their dams - I had a sizable selection to work with this year (12-ish) and unlike, say, Galileos they didn't all seem to be "of a type".

Fair enough… I wasn’t sure if you were around and thought I should clarify Sheikh’s stab at it.

Last edited:
Of course, it's far too early to write him off, but it's possibly an early indication that he's not going to do especially well as a stallion, after all, most don't, even outstanding horses like STS. Think Citation, Brigadier Gerard, Spectacular Bid.

Most successful stallions do tend to stamp their stock, although there are always exceptions - I read once somewhere that Bahram was one such case.

On the other hand, having a half-brother like Galileo who's been such a great success as a stallion is a plus point.

It will be interesting to see how quickly he fills for next season.

Of course, it's far too early to write him off, but it's possibly an early indication that he's not going to do especially well as a stallion, after all, most don't, even outstanding horses like STS. Think Citation, Brigadier Gerard, Spectacular Bid.

Most successful stallions do tend to stamp their stock, although there are always exceptions - I read once somewhere that Bahram was one such case.

On the other hand, having a half-brother like Galileo who's been such a great success as a stallion is a plus point.

It’s true that ability on the racecourse is no guarantee of success at stud. And it is much too early to say with any certainty how he will shape up. Like most stallions his fee is highly likely to drop (perhaps dramatically so) after his first couple of crops reach the racecourse, when those obsessed with best-with-best breeding find out they could have spent their money more efficiently elsewhere. For every success at stud there is a list as long as your arm of those that disappoint.

Last edited:

Way too early to write him off.

Did Danehill "stamp" his stock?

Does Galileo really stamp his stock? 2 of his best, New Approach and Rip are like chalk and cheese.

How much did Northern Dancer stamp his stock? Nijinsky was a big scopey thing, a full hand bigger than ND himself, and I seem to recall seeing NDs in all shapes, sizes and colours.

Does Galileo really stamp his stock? 2 of his best, New Approach and Rip are like chalk and cheese.

I can pick them out in a field from others generally.

Way too early to write him off.

Did Danehill "stamp" his stock?

Yeah, with crappy front feet!!

Fair enough… I wasn’t sure if you were around and thought I should clarify Sheikh’s stab at it.

I wasn't being snippy - short reply as on iPhone and at sales!

I find that hard to believe about Danehill. He was such a sensational stallion in Australia, the best since Star Kingdom, where soundness and the ability to handle firm ground are absolute necessities.

Regarding Nijinsky, he was atypical of his sire's offspring. Most Northern Dancers were medium-sized or smaller, often blocky types, tending to carry plenty of condition. Colourwise, a lot of white markings (sabino gene) and as ND was a heterozygous (i.e non-true breeding) bay, his stock came in all colours.

I find that hard to believe about Danehill. He was such a sensational stallion in Australia, the best since Star Kingdom, where soundness and the ability to handle firm ground are absolute necessities.

Believe what you like - all I am giving is an opinion formed on the TBs I have seen, handled, appraised or worked with. It is still just that, an opinion. If we all agreed life would be terribly boring.

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe about Danehill. He was such a sensational stallion in Australia, the best since Star Kingdom, where soundness and the ability to handle firm ground are absolute necessities

Funnily enough (…it wasn’t all that funny) the only Danehill I’ve ever part-owned had a problem with his sesamoids (ankle/foot) and cracks in his two front hooves. Won his maiden at Goodwood (beating Jamaican Flight) and never raced again. I remember at the time the consensus was "that's Danehills for you" (the implication was that those that weren't brilliant were typically fragile in this department), which would bear out what Miesque was saying.

I've always thought that Danehill does stamp his stock regarding looks, although with regard to stamina aptitude a dominant dam sire/mare tends to trump him.

Last edited:
I can pick them out in a field from others generally.

Interesting - how so?

Watched teofilo's dewhurst last night - again, very different from the other 2 Galileos I mentioned, so looking forward to you linking it altogether for me!

Back