Bloodstock 2011

Yes I'm all for exploring alternatives to slavishly following fashion (and yes this is very good for the longer term well-being of the breed). A balanced approach which attempts to identify a suitable match with the mare, rather than look for the most fashionable and most expensive you can stretch to, is infinitely preferable.

Last edited:
If all those who were knowledgeable about breeding were to recommend 1 book on this subject, which one would it be?

If all those who were knowledgeable about breeding were to recommend 1 book on this subject, which one would it be?

If just one, I’ll give you two:

Breeding The Racehorse – Frederico Tesio will give you a classical view of the essentials.

Racehorse Breeding Theories ­– Frank Mitchell. An excellent introduction to several basic methods of analysis.

If you want three you could also look at Dosage: Pedigree and Performance ­– Dr Steven Roman.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place but a couple of years ago Blazing Walker and I attended the Nov Tatts sale and have been keeping an eye out for the horses we selected. (Its a trial for us to think about setting up our own syndicate!)

Big shout out to Ballydoyle tonight on another of our (well,hers;)) selection's winning but not only winning but at 20/1!!!!:D (Laughing was the horse & so were we:lol:)

For those interested, I have been keeping a tally of all runners this season to an imaginery £10 bet & it shows a profit of £539, 9 wins from 25 runs.

Hope the season continues in the same vein of form!

Hamm - if you Google Federico (not Frederico) Tesio, you'll find loads of sites about him, his theories, the horses he bred and the books he wrote. He's considered a perfectionist and classicist, but Signora Tesio should, but doesn't, get a lot of the credit for the works, too.

There is a series of useful handbooks published by Bloodhorse-Publications, such as Pinhooking for Profit, Guide to Auctions, Guide to Breeding, etc. which demystify these arcana and may be of interest. They're one helluva lot cheaper than the Mitchell book, which weighs in at around £85! You'd want to sell your foal to be able to afford it.

Last edited:
Federico Tesio's "Breeding The Racehorse" is a fascinating book, written by an extraordinary man.

Imo, his genius rests with his almost supernatural talent as a judge of a horse, mares in particular. I don't think there's ever been anyone to compare with him in that respect.

He was a superb trainer, although he doesn't really touch on training in the book, apart from Nearco's famous trial gallop before the Grand Prix de Paris (what a certainty he must have been!).

As for breeding theory, he's somewhat quirky, combining great insights with other ideas that are rather cranky. Not in the same league as Hall Walker, for example.

Anyone had a look at next weeks Tatts yearling sale?? Looking at buying but could do with a steer... Can e-mail in PDF if anyone interested.

Back