Bloodstock 2011

How rare is that? Did he run with or without it at the Breeders' Cup?

All of O’Brien’s ran on Lasix at the BC this year. Zoffany ran on Lasix and two other medications. As Zoffany’s defeat in the Shadwell Mile at Keeneland was attributed by his trainer to an adverse reaction to first-time Lasix some would say this was questionable.

However, Lasix use is being phased out at the Breeders' Cup – the 2013 renewal will be the first completely free of medication.

SYT didn't have Lasix, if memory serves.

SYT ran just on Lasix, but unlike the others in his race not on so-called ‘LA’ (Lasix adjunct) additional substance, treatment, or procedure used for increasing the efficacy or safety of the primary substance, treatment, or procedure or for facilitating its performance. adjunctive, adj. - i.e. he didn't have the full cocktail of drugs that many run on. See also below:

O'Brien adds Lasix to So You Think's gear for Breeders' Cup
Dual Cox Plate winner So You Think will race with a legal drug in his system when he takes on the best galloper in the US in Sunday's Grade I Breeders' Cup Classic (2000m) at Churchill Downs.
So You Think's Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien has decided to administer Lasix to the son of High Chaparral on the morning of the $US5 million event. All but eight of the 180 horses running in the Breeders' Cup events will race on Lasix.
Lasix is the commercial name for furosemide, a substance used to "mitigate the severity of the bleeding in the lungs” while a horse exerts itself in races.
The administration of Lasix on race day is legal throughout the US and Argentina but the drug is banned in the UK, Ireland and Australia.
The Breeders' Cup controlling body has started to phase out the use of Lasix with a partial ban on the substance in force starting with two-year-old races next year before the 2013 event is conducted without the substance in order to comply with the standards of international racing.
So You Think will also race in blinkers in a bid to help him race closer to the pace at his first attempt on a dirt surface.
The former Australian galloper won his first Cox Plate in blinkers in 2009.
Local bookmakers have So You Think as a 5-1 third pick behind last year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner Uncle Mo and the J.Larry Jones-trained mare Havre De Grace.

Last edited:
no problem... that's right, he was the only one in the Classic not on LA.

It's a difficult call. In 2009 AOB didn't run any on Lasix (apart from one, his only winner).

I'm glad they're doing away with it. A different sort of level playing field from them all being on it.

Last edited:
Where is Oratorio ? Are they sending him to India as they shafted them over Roderic O'Connor.

I think Oratorio is currently in Australia where he's had very considerable success and probably has an increased book of mares this season. Maybe they're just keeping him there instead of shuttling this time.

Oratorio is indeed in Oz currently and not on the 2012 roster for Ireland. He's been a complete flop at the sales here, imo so not s surprising decision.

How rare is that? Did he run with or without it at the Breeders' Cup?

Read Zoffany bled through lasix at Keeneland.

Yes, he did bleed - it's not terribly uncommon but it is the first time he's bled through it.

Yes, he did bleed - it's not terribly uncommon but it is the first time he's bled through it.

Zoffany’s defeat in the Shadwell Mile at Keeneland was attributed by his trainer to an "adverse reaction" to first-time Lasix, presumably he bled then as well.

Presumably he also bled at Deauville when performing woefully behind Moonlight Cloud, which is no doubt why they decided to run him in the US dosed up with Lasix in the first place.

Last edited:
Nope, showed up as dehydrated (electrolyte imbalance) on post race bloods from what I've heard.

Okay, thanks for that. Still bleeding is not something to advertise when you have a stallion career mapped out is it? He probably bled at Deauville as well. In fact if he bled when on Lasix and two other anti-bleeders at the BC it's more or less certain he bled when not on medication. This was no doubt part of the reason they sent him to Keeneland and the BC to see how it would work out with the advantage of medication.

Was it advertised he bled though? I think AP said "adverse reaction" and the American commentators were the ones who mentioned bleeding?

Should you breed from a bleeder at all?

Was it advertised he bled though? I think AP said "adverse reaction" and the American commentators were the ones who mentioned bleeding?

Should you breed from a bleeder at all?

That's what I mean. Coolmore wouldn't want it advertised that he was a bleeder.

Zoffany doesn't scream success to me, either way.

...well indeed. If he hadn't have got so close to Frankel at Ascot (albeit for the wrong reasons), I doubt they would have been quite so fired up to try to win something in the US (on Lasix) and subsequently promote him at stud.

From what I found about Zoffany was he had the most fascinating turn of foot, he never really got to show his true ability especially over a mile in his 3 year old career but you go and hand time some of his last 3 furlong sectionals as a 2yo and you'd be hardpressed to find anything that could match him, not from last year but the last 10 or more.

He'll offer something at stud, I do believe he has the potential to produce some outstandingly fast offspring if they want to cover in that direction, but he's a vital asset in maintaing the speed side of the breeding opperation at Coolmore.

That's going to be a proper horse on the evidence of the picture shown.

Not sure £800k proper, don't like the neck, just doesn't have that arched looping powerful racing neck/shoulders.

The STS x Finsceal Beo went for 800k.

Kingsfort is to stand at Azienda Agricola Casana in Italy for 2012

A foal from the first crop of Sea The Stars was sold for 800,000 euros at Goffs on Thursday.

The foal sale which began on Tuesday came alight on Thursday with the battle to purchase the filly who is out of three-time Group One winning mare Finsceal Beo.

She was the first offering from the brilliant son of Galileo who won eight of his nine starts, including the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, the Derby, the Eclipse and the Irish Champion Stakes.

Bidding started at 100,000 euros but quickly passed the half a million mark before being knocked down to agent John McCormack.

The second of his progeny to be offered was a colt out of Humilis, a Sadler's Wells mare who won a Listed race, and he, too, attracted plenty of interest before going to Blandford Bloodstock for 110,000 euros.

That was only the third highest sale on an exciting day at Goffs which also saw a daughter of Teofilo out of Grecian Bride sold for 200,000 euros to Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum's Derrinstown Stud.

The filly is a half-sister to Saddler's Rock who won the Group Two Doncaster Cup in September.

There was no such joy for the progeny of American Horse of the Year Curlin with the only foal catalogued to sell in Europe by him this year led out unsold at 74,000 euros.

There are another three foals of Sea The Stars still to go through the ring on Thursday.

A foal from the first crop of Sea The Stars was sold for 800,000 euros at Goffs on Thursday.

The foal sale which began on Tuesday came alight on Thursday with the battle to purchase the filly who is out of three-time Group One winning mare Finsceal Beo.

She was the first offering from the brilliant son of Galileo who won eight of his nine starts, including the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, the Derby, the Eclipse and the Irish Champion Stakes.

Bidding started at 100,000 euros but quickly passed the half a million mark before being knocked down to agent John McCormack.

??? That's be a little incestuous.

Banimpire made $2.3 million. Bit pricey OTB.....

Eta: Meant to add she stays in training having been bought by Marton Schwartz to race in the USA after MV gave up as underbidder.

Last edited:
Can you really put a price on her toughness and mentality? I think she's priceless in terms of that, if the market is speaking at $2.3M then so be it - loose change for some people.

Just think of what you could possibly build from her as a starting point, she has to be everything you're looking for in wanting to breed a champion, you would have to go and put more class in to her though.

I'd like to see New Approach or Iffrajj

Can you really put a price on her toughness and mentality? I think she's priceless in terms of that, if the market is speaking at $2.3M then so be it - loose change for some people.

Just think of what you could possibly build from her as a starting point, she has to be everything you're looking for in wanting to breed a champion, you would have to go and put more class in to her though.

I'd like to see New Approach or Iffrajj

Lol, sorry you missed my meaning - OTB on here is her biggest fan and wanted her as a broodmare but knew she'd be well out of reach...I don't think he realised quite how much out of reach though. It wasn't a comment on the price she made though - I'd still have cut it off at 1.75 million personally. There's others I'd have chosen for that sort of money recently.

Back