Bloodstock 2011

Tartan Bearer was sold at Tattersalls yesterday for 50k to stand in Turkey.

What a bargain that may turn out to be.

A top class 10f - 12f performer with an excellent pedigree, he's just as likely to pass on good genes as some unproven stallions covering at fees greater than he was sold for!

What a bargain that may turn out to be.

A top class 10f - 12f performer with an excellent pedigree, he's just as likely to pass on good genes as some unproven stallions covering at fees greater than he was sold for!

I'd be interested to know what stallions you'd call unproven at 50k plus fees?

TATDEC ends on a high....

Best figures since the last pre-recession sale in 2007. Sign of the times or just a bubble/blip? All despite a lack of depth in quality by most opinions (see pre-sales interviews of most agents and consignors)

I'd be interested to know what stallions you'd call unproven at 50k plus fees?
Well, defining "unproven at 50k" as having yet to have any runners and having a covering fee which is, or has been, at 50k or more, then Sea the Stars, Curlin, Big Brown are three current instances, off the top of my head. There may be some others. Some notorious earlier examples would be Shareef Dancer and Ghostzapper.

Of course, if you expanded the list to include those bargain unproven sorts standing at only half Tartan Bearer's sale price, you'd have a list as long as your arm.

There seems to be no shortage of mugs willing and able to pay inflated prices for the offspring of unproven sires, and the bloodstock agents aren't ones to give a sucker an even break, are they?

Look at the foal prices at the December Sales, buyers like lambs to the slaughter, although I suppose they're well able to bear the almost inevitable losses, but it looks like every son or daughter of Sea The Stars is going to be a nailed-on Group 1 race winner. Just like the offspring of Brigadier Gerard and Spectacular Bid. Nobody ever learns anything, do they?

For what it's worth, STS only covered 87 mares this year from 140 in his first season at stud.

9 out of top 10 stallions with most black-type mares on their books are proven ( only Duke of Marmalade is on that list on 10th place).
17 sires covered 150 mares or more. 4 were unproven (Duke, Bushranger, Zebedee and RipVW)

Aussie Rules covered 147 mares. Surprised Coolmore has sold him already. On the other hand Oratorio only got 28 mares.

Last edited:
From the RP site:

Coolmore buy dam of Montmartre for €520k

BY ISABEL MATHEW 7:47PM 3 DEC 2011

ARTISTIQUE promised to be one of the highlights of Arqana's December Breeding Stock Sale and she did not disappoint after Coolmore went to €520,000 for the dam of Group 1 winner Montmartreon Saturday.

Standing in company with Paul Shanahan and M.V. Magnier, it was Robert Nataf who had the final say for the 15-year-old daughter of Linamix over Tom Goff. Out of the Oaks d'Italia winner Armarama, she was offered in foal to Cape Cross.

Aside from the 2008 Grand Prix de Paris winner, Artistique is also the dam of Group 3 placed Artistica. Nataf said of the Aga Khan Studs consigned mare: "It is rare to be able to purchase the dam of such a good horse, and that was obviously what interested Coolmore."

Two years after buying the top price at this sale, the Tsui family nearly repeated history when going to €450,000 to secure the well related broodmare Jamooh early on in the sale.

Signed for by Nicolas de Watrigant's Mandore Agency, the four-year-old is a half-sister to this year's Classic placed filly Maqaasid, who finished third in the 1,000 Guineas for John Gosden in May. Offered from Haras du Quesnay, the mare is due to Invincible Spirit and now has a date with Sea The Stars.

Jamooh provided a profitable return for Freddy Head, who had purchased the daughter of Monsun for €110,000 fromher breeder Shadwell as a juvenile out of training at this sale in 2009. She was subsequently placed once for the handler in January.

With an opening bid of €100,000, competition was high for the mare, who is also a close relative of 1,000 Guineas winner Ghanaati and her first season sire half-brother Mawatheeq. Watrigant however eventually prevailed, with Nicolas de Chambure underbidder on behalf of Capital Pur Sang.

Later on in the evening, the agent was active once again for the same clients, picking up the dam of Poule d'Essai des Poulains winner Silver Frost, Hidden Silver (176) for €400,000 from Haras des Sablonnets.

An increasingly dominant presence in recent months, Teruya Yoshida's Shadai Farm became the new owners of May Kiersey, a three parts sister to this year's Epsom Derby winner Pour Moi, for the same price.

French agent Patrick Barbe, sitting in company with the Japanese magnate's son Tetsuya, signed for the daughter of Sadler's Wells, who was consigned by Haras d'Etreham. Yoshida jr summed up perfectly saying, "This is one that we really wanted."

Another going the same way is Classic Premio Regina Elena (Italian 2,000 Guineas) winner Evading Tempete. From the family of Daggers Drawn, the daughter of Dubai Destination eventually made €360,000.

Despite not being sold through the ring, the highest priced foal of the day proved to be a son of Montjeu out of Group placed Sky High Flyer (143) for €140,000. Offered from Haras d'Etreham, the colt was later purchased privately by Thierry Storme (B.S.I.N.V).

Waratah Thoroughbreds owner Paul Fudge entered into the fray when buying Insoumise (lot 161), a half sister to last year’s Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud winner Plumania for €350,000.

The Wertheimer brothers-bred is set to be the latest addition to Fudge’s rapidly increasing broodmare band, after Michael Goodbody had the final say for the daughter of Galileo.

Fudge is clearly a fan of the Champion sire, as in August he went to €1.7 million to secure one of his yearling daughters out of Sanjida, who is now in training with Andre Fabre.

From the RP site on the Doncaster sales:

Wishfull Thinking's eight-month-old full-brother boasted the star pedigree in Tuesday's December Sale at Doncaster and he duly brought the day's highest price of £50,000 when selling to a man who knew all about his family.

Warwickshire-based agent Aiden Murphy, who bought Wishfull Thinking as a foal for Grahame and Diana Whateley eight years ago, struck the successful bid for the chesnut, who was consigned by breeders Robin and Scarlett Knipe from their Cobhall Court Stud.
The Alflora colt is also a half-brother to Donald McCain's promising novice chaser Tara Royal and to the unraced four-year-old Fix You, bought by Colm Murphyfor 85,000 euros at last year's Tattersalls Ireland Derby Sale.

The catchiest female pedigree belonged to a March-born Shirocco daughter of Grade 2-placed Theatre Girl, consigned by her breeders, Richard and Sally Aston's Goldford Stud. She will return to Goldford in the ownership of Richard Haggas, who has enjoyed great success with the family, after making £35,000.

It surprises me how often you can ask a horse's height, and find that no-one's measured it. I imagine some are going by how they appear to the eye, rather than by the stick.

Can any of you bloodstock aficionados tell me how much this filly went through the ring for, if at all? Thanks in advance

Toto Corde Meo (IRE)

Thanks for the info Sheikh/Miesque...never heard of equineline. Education is the name of the game!
I only asked as I was wondering whether she may have slipped through unnoticed as a superb broodmare prospect. I wouldn't mind a half share in her anyway.

Canford to Coolmore
Pour Moi to Coolmore
Dream ahead to Ballylinch
Indian haven moves to Withyslade farm, UK.
Lilbourne lad to Rathbarry
Doyen to Sunnyhill
Dick Turpin to National Stud (UK)
Malinas to Yorton Farm in Shropshire
Frozen Fire to Coolagown
Poets Voice to Dalham (Darley)
Elusive Pimpernel to Islanmore
Rule of Law to Kedrah house
Zoffany to Coolmore
Vocalised to Redmonstown
Roderic O'Connor to Ballyhane
Lovelace to Spring lodge

Canford to Coolmore
Pour Moi to Coolmore
Dream ahead to Ballylinch
Indian haven moves to Withyslade farm, UK.
Lilbourne lad to Rathbarry
Doyen to Sunnyhill
Dick Turpin to National Stud (UK)
Malinas to Yorton Farm in Shropshire
Frozen Fire to Coolagown
Poets Voice to Dalham (Darley)
Elusive Pimpernel to Islanmore
Rule of Law to Kedrah house
Zoffany to Coolmore
Vocalised to Redmonstown
Roderic O'Connor to Ballyhane
Lovelace to Spring lodge