Bloodstock 2011

Had an e-mail to say our syndicate are looking into the possibility of buying a 2yo at the Doncaster breeze up sales - they have about £10,000 to spend - I haven't got a clue about this so any advice greatly appreciated before a decision is made on Sunday.

A decision has ben made and the trainer and a couple of syndicate members will be attending the breeze up sales at Doncaster on Wednesday. They will not be rushed into a decision but we could well be owners of a new horse next week. Can't get on the site to find out what lots are for sale as it keeps crashing, so if anyone else can then please post a link. Maybe you can have a guess at which horse we might buy. The trainer will be looking for a precocious 2yo to try and win some of the bonus money on offer this season.

A decision has ben made and the trainer and a couple of syndicate members will be attending the breeze up sales at Doncaster on Wednesday. They will not be rushed into a decision but we could well be owners of a new horse next week. Can't get on the site to find out what lots are for sale as it keeps crashing, so if anyone else can then please post a link. Maybe you can have a guess at which horse we might buy. The trainer will be looking for a precocious 2yo to try and win some of the bonus money on offer this season.

Link for catalogue for Wednesday SC;

http://www.dbsauctions.com/catalogue.aspx?saleId=215&saletype=Breeze Up

Two of my homebreds in the catalogue - Lots 15 and 167. Both by COMPTON PLACE, one I am pretty sure wn't be exensive - the colt ex BARRANTES. Doesn't look like he's worth much on the page - his full sister has done zip. However, this colt was very different to her, full of quality and a real good looker. Made a fair bit at the foal sales and bought by a shrewd judge. Would not be a 2yo, though.

Lot 167, ex SONGSHEET, is a full brother to MONSIEUR BOULANGER, who won a Stakes race in the US and was second in the Woodcote. He stayed here til the yearling sales and was very straight forward. Not a superstar to look at, just workmanlike. Again, wouldn't be an obvious 2yo, although probably good enough to win.

Both had great temperaments when they left here.

SONGSHEET now has a BAHAMIAN BOUNTY filly atfoot.

Thanks for the link, Sheikh - not bad looking at all, except he does have his mum's less than pretty head.... oops (the fact she's known as Pants here may tell you summat)!

Ypu can't see his odd face marking from that photo - it's a blaze that covers just the bottom half of his head - really odd..

The cross of DISTANT RELATIVE over COMPTON PLACE has worked quite well - just hope PLACE THE DUCHESS was a blip - he'd make two of her, though!!

Entirely different to his little sis - and no sign of his mother's ewe neck, which is good. Let's hope his rear end does the business.

Last edited:
the-gallery.html
This was the Compo / Barrantes as a foal - called Peanut !

http://www.bishopswoodbloodstock.co.uk/8/the-gallery.html

Some of you will no doubt already have this saved to Favourites, but I was trying to find a reference to the old Aga's SHIKAMPUR and found it on this site (in a lengthy and very interesting article on Gordon Richards's win on board PINZA in the 1953 Derby). The site is dedicated to profiles and pedigrees of historic Thoroughbreds and may interest pedigree buffs in particular:

http://www.bloodlines.net/TB/

Last edited:
Vids of them breezing available online - hope you find something you like, SC!

I've watched most of them and the ones I like will no doubt be out of our price range - I also passed on your comments about your two, thanks for that. I personally won't have any say in the lot we buy, if any? that will be down to the trainer but it's very exciting and hopefully I'll be able to reveal our new addition tomorrow night.

Waiting with bated breath SC;)

Waiting with bated breath SC;)

Just had a look at the sales online and no confirmation yet but I think it may be this one but I could be wrong :ninja:

B, C, 2-y-o, Librettist — Scented Garden (Zamindar)
From Grove Stud, Ireland

Now confirmed:

Hello Everyone - I have just got back from the Sales. We have bought a 2 year old (born 9/3/2009). the sire is Librettist and the Dam Scented Garden. The dam was unraced but she has had one foal so far and that won a maiden race as a 2 year old.

Last edited:
congratulations hope all goes well with your purchase.
I did notice that it was bought 6 months ago for £3k netting the vendor £7k for 6 months keep!
I did like the look on paper of lot 44 for a snip at £14k a Rock Of Gibraltar Colt out of a listed winning and group placed mare!

Last edited:
Good luck SC - hope he goes well for you!

The Compo/Songsheet sold very well as I was told he would as he breezed well. The Compo / Barrantes didn't sell.

Apparently there were too many who had sore shins after breezing...

I ferried SONGSHEET up to HELLVELYN today and was amused to see how chilled he is - in his paddock, resting a hind leg while watching 'horse tv' - in his case, a horse on the hore walker next to his paddock...

I really like him. Hes a good strong sort with a bit of scope too. As usual the ground up there looks awful - did they breeze on the jumps gound? They did the year I breezed one and it was so patchy yet rock hard. Would think there'll be a few sore shins after breezing.

How come you can see it and I can't, jinny? I've tried again and all I get is bright green, with the action bar moving, but no horse.

Back