Bloodstock News 2010

Richard Griffiths was criticising young horses being retired to stud in the RP this morning. It's easy to understand people's misgivings regarding this , likewise I can see why smaller studs have to get in early and get their stallions in order to survive.
However you would have imagined he would have known that Dark Angels first crop don't race till next year rather than stating that "his first crop of runners failed to make a huge impact on the race course ths year" . Seeing as they're only yearlings this year, any impact at the racecourse would be amazing :p. Writing for the 'Bloodstock World' you'd imagine he would have known this. Maybe the piece is just very badly written and he was refering to another stallion. Maybe he had been on the sauce and was just very confused. Rarely buy the post anymore , this just reminded me why.

Last edited:
Oh, go on, Sheikh, fire off a sarky little letter to the Post, and let 'em know you know better! Opinions will always just be opinions, but technical accuracy should be the newspaper's norm.

Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver retired to WinStar Farms.

Just looking down the list of Kentucky Derby winners (undoubtedly the toughest race in the world to win in my opinion), it's striking how few have gone on to become notable stallions. Street Sense certainly the only one in the last decade or so ~ before that would we be going back to Thunder Gulch?

Last edited:
Oh, go on, Sheikh, fire off a sarky little letter to the Post, and let 'em know you know better! Opinions will always just be opinions, but technical accuracy should be the newspaper's norm.

In fairness to him that fact would have ruined his piece especially since dark Angel is imo going to make a big impression next year. :)

Winning the Aussie Guineas improves his value he's also a better looking horse.

2007 he was 9k anyway.

Last edited:
I thought 20K first but foal no.s are dropping like an anchor. Stallion fees have been dropping for the last couple of years. The foal sales are coming and that could be horrific. I don't think Holy Roman bombing will have helped either. On top of that I don't think most people will consider him a cheap potential classic sire like High Chap or footsteps.

I've talked myself into 15k.

I was going by where horses like Mozart(£30k), Stravinsky ($35k), Oasis Dream (£25k) etc. started and lobbing off a third or so to reflect the downturn.

I'd put him in that category, and as you mentioned, his Guineas win will help.

Phoenix reach has sired his first winner,

Does anyone know what happened to the youngsters that Kathy had? they were also sired by PR

Praise the Lord! That took a while. I saw Kathy earlier in the year when she was visiting Brighton with Gay Kelleway (whose website she updates) and she said she planned to race him herself. I think she only had one in the end, didn't she? She had two, but Debbi Gibbins took over one of them, which has raced under the name EQUINE SCIENCE, the horse health company Debbi reps for.

Last edited:
Kathy owned KATY-Q and ART SERIES or some name like that, with foals by PHOENIX REACH. She co-owned MILES with Debbi but they had a disagreement over where to bring up the foal, with Debbi eventually getting ownership of him, hence EQUINE SCIENCE, but MILES was originally one of Kathy's purchases, I think. However, I haven't seen any registrations under her name or her planned racing club, so perhaps they're not ready yet as PR is a distance horse, and not many 2 y.o.'s are sent over a mile.

Last edited:
Thanks Krizon, I wasn't aware of Miles, it was the PR youngsters that I remember reading about, if you hear anything on the grapevine about them please let me know

Helen

A few Breeders Cup related sales

Juvenile Fillies winner Awesome Feather has sold to Frank Stronach for $2.3m

FM Sprint winner Dubai Majesty has sold to Northern Farm in Japan for $1.1m

Grade 1 winner Gabby's Golden Gal has sold to Shadai Farm in Japan for $1.25m and is a possible mate for Harbinger in 2011.

Back