Bloodstock News 2010

Definitely STOUT! Built like a brick outhouse, Songsheet. Her ANGEL SPRINTS was a little tank, too. She's a grumpy sod, as well, but the apple of her mommy's eye. The grumpiness in females seems to be quite a good trait, I think - they don't mind flattening their ears and curling their nostrils to take on whatever's in front. Like the song says, "Sweet? There's nothing sweet about me... " but they get the job done like little soldiers.

Other way around, I think, so ~UKP 102,500.

Still a huge amount!

Absolutely. Nigh on impossible to ever see a first year stallion ever have that fee. Despite what he went on to achieve as a stallion, his overall profile was probably more similar Oratorio than Sea The Stars (crude comparison I know!).

Interesting that Northern Dancer's fee hit $500,000 at its peak. Does anyone remember what Storm Cat's fee was rumuored to be at its peak?

He was advertised at $500,000 but to get into his book for some mares costed a reported $900,000.It was much the same for Northern Dancer and even if you didn't have a foal you still had to pay the fee

Yes, CharlieB is entered up and it's a good, solid family. Songy is a very plain but very correct mare with a good walk even now! Am just keeping everything crossed he gets there in one piece and does a reasonable breeze. He is the colt we had an eye problem with as a foal, hence why he's breezing and not already sold as a yearling. Not been a bother to him at all and he has quite a bit of vision in the eye, so hopefully it won't affect him racing at all.

Kri - do your homework! ANGEL SPRINT's dam is RUNS IN THE FAMILY, not Songy!

Oh, of course she is! She's built like a wee tank, so I always think she's Songy's girlie! My apologies to Angel. Best of luck to CharlieB - he deserves a decent trainer, if there is such a thing... !

Yes, CharlieB is entered up and it's a good, solid family. Songy is a very plain but very correct mare with a good walk even now! Am just keeping everything crossed he gets there in one piece and does a reasonable breeze. He is the colt we had an eye problem with as a foal, hence why he's breezing and not already sold as a yearling. Not been a bother to him at all and he has quite a bit of vision in the eye, so hopefully it won't affect him racing at all.

Kri - do your homework! ANGEL SPRINT's dam is RUNS IN THE FAMILY, not Songy!

Good luck with him, 'She's our mare' was totally blind in one eye .
I see the Grand dam sire is Song and Monsieur Boulanger (compton place) has been the best so far.Ahonoora and the Tudor minstrel line has had uncanny success over the years. Quite possible I'm reading too much into it. Plenty of people don't believe the Nick theory anymore either. Just an observation.

Last edited:
Well, if Venusian's reading this, you're about in for the 'Nicks are rubbish' lecture...

Thank you Sheikh - got my catalog today and it's nice to see the page in print with the FAREER updates.

Personally, having been involved with stock or one sort or another over thirty years plus, all I know is that some bloodlines, no matter what the species, work better with some than others. Mixing the wrong lines can give you genetic defects, so why not genetic advantages ?

CASHMANS will not offer a market on the leading first-season sire this year, after a parting of ways with PR director Joseph Burke, who compiled the odds for the event.
The market was introduced in 2004, marking a rare foray into bloodstock and breeding by the bookmaking fraternity. The winning sire was determined by the largest number of individual winners sired in a turf season.
A spokesman for Cashmans said yesterday: "We will not be offering first-season betting this year as Joseph has moved on."
Punters wishing to back up their faith in one of this year's freshman sires - a group which includes Araafa, Iffraaj, Holy Roman Emperor, Hurricane Run and Shirocco - may be provided for by Betfair, which launched its own first-seasonsire market in 2008.

on a more private Bloodstock news, I am very happy to report that Bukett gave birth to a chesnut colt tonight, by Silvano; thus a 3/4 brother to Bergo (who is by the same sire out of Buketts dam). Mother and son are fit and well!!

I think he is priced a bit to high.What other stallions are based near you in Germany.I've payed €8000 and a good bit above it for stallion but i dont think i'd pay €8000 for him.

But if the stallion produces the 'right sort' for your mare, you would, wouldn't you? It's not always the price, it's what you know you'll get in the way of conformation or some other attribute - especially if you need a sire to redress any faults the mare has. Songsheet and I sent the plain, ewe-necked (but talented) BARRANTES to the late ICEMAN in the hope that he'd inject a bit of attractiveness without sacrificing the sprinter shape, and that's what the dear boy did.

on a more private Bloodstock news, I am very happy to report that Bukett gave birth to a chesnut colt tonight, by Silvano; thus a 3/4 brother to Bergo (who is by the same sire out of Buketts dam). Mother and son are fit and well!!

Looked at the photo and looks a cutie. Hope he runs well. Incidentally, I emailed you a few weeks back re your website. It is still a pleasure :)

Ouija Board foaled a Galileo filly at the weekend - both doing well - does anyone know who she visits next?

I think he is priced a bit to high.What other stallions are based near you in Germany.I've payed €8000 and a good bit above it for stallion but i dont think i'd pay €8000 for him.

its very tough to find a decent, proven sire in germany, I think, and as he was over here for just that one season it was take him or leave him. we would have liked to go abroad once more, but clearly with all the extra costs involved that would have been even more expensive. The mare has a multiple winner with the sire, and the foal is now a 3/4 brother to Bergo, who was Group-placed in Germany and was nailed on for more glory had he not been sold to England.

I suppose your in Germany it and you cant be to fussy.It just seems like a lot for that horse in particular.
I agreee that you need to find a horse that suits your mare but you dont pay over the top.
I used Oratorio last year on mare that probably wasnt suited to him but had a foal last week that is faultless not saying it is going to be anailed on winner but breeding is a funny business.
Last year the mare had a foal by Hurricane Run he was more suited to her but the foal wasnt the same all round quality like this years.

You can get a good looker with no brains, a brainiac with horrible conformation, or, if you're terribly unlucky, a hideous nitwit! Or the looks and no heart... the list of possibilities is pretty endless, which is why I'm delighted for anyone who breeds winners, particularly at the higher end of the business. Just getting something that looks okay, does well, and doesn't die before it's three seems to be a flipping miracle!

Back