Bloodstock News

Have not heard anything about him for a few weeks now, no idea of plans for him. He is well entered up else where (including Doncaster) over the next week or so.

Back to High Chaparral be interesting to see how the Autumn turns out for him, had pretty few runners (which is not a surprise) but it would be nice to see one or two smart prospects for him by the end of the season.

Invasor will stand for a fee of $35,000 live foal in 2008.

Jazil will stand for a fee of $12,500 live foal in 2008.

Very, and it will be good to have a totally new stallion line available - presuming he is, can you enlighten us on that score Venusian?

He doesn't have a particularly unusual pedigree, his sire Candy Stripes was an American-bred son of Blushing Groom who was placed in the French 2000 in 1985. He died earlier this year.

Both Invasor's sire and dam are from the Nasrullah male line. ND appears once in the 4th generation.

Like so many horses - good, bad and indifferent - he traces to Pretty Polly in his bottom line.

Coolmore have announced that Rock of Gibraltar will be returning from Japan for the 2008 northern hemisphere season - no fee announced yet.

Not surprising....bar a big Group 1 winner he has done pretty well this year with a host of smart performers.

Originally posted by Venusian@Sep 7 2007, 08:25 PM
He doesn't have a particularly unusual pedigree....... [snip]
Thanks for tthe info Venusian - surprising really, for some reason I expected his page to be a lot more 'exotic' - ie obscure! I have to admit I recognise a lot more names in the top line than the bottom one though!

Originally posted by Powerscourt@Sep 7 2007, 04:14 PM
Invasor will stand for a fee of $35,000 live foal in 2008.

Jazil will stand for a fee of $12,500 live foal in 2008.
And both are being limited to only 85 mares each.

Wouldn't it be great if all stallions were limited to a similar number - or even lower. Surely, at some stage this must be a consideration.

It's coming, indirectly, from bloodstock agents, who find it easier to sell unproven stallions' progeny to the gullible.

At least 80% of stallions end up as failures, but 0% of unproven stallions fall into that category.

I first started to get an inkling of this in the 70s when the virtually deformed progeny of the (ultimately) hopeless stallion Habat fetched big sums at the foal and yearling sales.

So if you follow it through to its natural conclusion you end up with the demand coming from a large number of current and prospective owners with more money (and optimism, perhaps) than sense?

Exactly.

For instance, if an agent buys a yearling by a proven, if not very successful but not hopeless, stallion, and it turns out to be no good, then the owner can say "Why did you buy me a horse by that useless so-and-so?". But if it's by a first season sire, the agent is in the clear, even if the owner's paid over the odds.

Completely barmy, but that's the way it works.

Back