Bloodstock News

GF, in general, the best predictor of a foal's potential racing class is the racing ability of its parents.

Manduro was a better racehorse than Dylan Thomas and is standing at a lower fee, and so should have the better prospects. They're both by outstanding stallions, both have strong female lines and they'll both be covering a similar standard of mare.

Triple Group 1 winner Scorpion will stand at Castle Hyde Stud as a member of the Coolmore jumps sire roster next season.

No Fasliyev...maybe he's swapping with Rock of Gibraltar and going to Japan?

Close enough - sold to Hokkaido stud, althought Coolmore have kept an option to buy him back in two years.

I note Hold That Tiger doesnt appear to be at Ashford anymore either. Mull Of Kintyre and Monashee Mountain have moved on as well.

Weatherbys Return Of Mares 2007 edition was released this week and I alway love going through it. The book of mares given to the likes of Galileo, Montjeu and Danehill Dancer is astounding....obviously they deserve the quality of mare they get but the mares Galileo covered in 2007 include:

Soviet Song
Affianced
Aquarelliste
Balisada
Dietrich
Sophisticat
Dress To Thrill
Kithanga
Love Divine
Market Slide
Mona Lisa
My Emma
Offshore Boom
Pearly Shells
Pride
Rebelline
Speirbhean
Time Away
Alexander Goldrun
Beauty Bright
Luas Line

Montjeu's include:

Attraction
Bionic
By Charter
Cash Run
Colorspin
Exclusive
Goncharova
Preseli
Sageneca
Spinning Queen
Teslemi
Time Ahead
Welsh Love

Some choice mares indeed, even a selling plater ought to produce a few group winners out of that lot!

Galileo (the horse not the poster) is the best stallion in the world today, his influence on the breed so far has been wholly beneficial.

Yes, it's a great bonus, but he just appears to pass on lots of ability, full stop.

With his outstanding race record and pedigree, he was always likely to do well, but he's surpassed all expectations.

Bit surprised to see Mull Of Kintyre gotten rid of so soon...

Just looking at where the value lies in the Coolmore ranks, I am very keen on Oratorio.. 25,000 seems a fair enough price as well..

Developed in to a fantastic looking stallion and producing some nice foals as well if this week's sales results are anything to go by..

Does anyone know what the problem is with Montjeu? The racingpost have referred to breeding problems but and it does seem he has covered a smaller book than is the usual for the Coolmore stallions. Is it just a case of low libido or fertility problems?

I do not know how true this is but I was told that covering takes a lot out of him. Like Deploy in his early days, they can't keep weight on him. I must admit that when we saw him at stud he would not have been the most impressive specimen there. and he seemed all of a sudden smaller than when he raced. Perhaps just a perception of presence not reality. But the bullishness was not there, he was quiet, on his toes, but kind of hold backish and head down. The other stallions were all raring to go and glaring at each other. I love him but he does tend to be a bit whippet like.

I have found that many stallions who are high strung are not that good in the covering shed, or at least suffer from exhaustion over it all.

Would be interested to know if anyone has heard it is libido or low fertility, but neither of those suggestions came up when we were there.

According to returns of mares re foals produced this year as published in the RP, Mull Of Kintyre only has a fertility percentage of around 50%. This may be the reason they've sold him on.

Given Montjeu's success as a sire in terms of quality of progeny, it would make sense then to husband his resources [so to speak!] and limit his outside book.

Soviet Song was in fact covered by both Montjeu and then Galileo last year, and didn't get in foal. As I reported earleir she was found later to be suffering form endometriosis [a kind of inflammation of the womb] which has now had extensive treatment by some top vets. She's been closely monitored and reports form Kirtlington seem to show that all is going well, and she's finally letting down really well too. The prognosis for a complete recovery is apparently good.

They haven't told us yet where she's going this time, but it will be in this country as they don't want to subject her to the stress of travel.

They've changed the definition of endometriosis then Heads?! :P

Endometriosis is the formation of the tissue found in the uterus, outside of the uterus, commonly around the ovarian or fallopian region, it can take the form of growths on the ovaries. This means that there will be additional monthly bleeding where the tissue forms. It can lead to infertility in humans, especially if left untreated.

SOVIET SONG would be the ideal candidate for embryo transfer and it's a shame that this industry can't make exceptions to the rule for mares like her who are top class but have breeding problems.

ET in mares is much more complex that in cattle but it has been done very successfully and it is an areas where the Equine Fertility Unit were already making great progress - sadly now halted.

On a different topic does anyone know is it the same restrictions on all Shadwell stallions in terms of number of mares they allow to be covered? Reading during the week that Nayef (who I think will have a super year next year) is restricted to less than 100 mares a season...very responsible.

Racing Post says all Shadwell Stallions limited to 85 mares Gal. I'm guessing that's pretty accurate with Nayef apparently full booked already.

Agreed it's a very responsible stance to take since a lot of stallions (not sure on Shadwell) also cover in the Sothern Hemisphere. Hopefully if more followed suit there'd be a reduction in overproduction and we might see less stallions dying of heart attacks as has been known in those covering large books of mares.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Nov 24 2007, 08:27 AM
They've changed the definition of endometriosis then Heads?! :P

Endometriosis is the formation of the tissue found in the uterus, outside of the uterus, commonly around the ovarian or fallopian region, it can take the form of growths on the ovaries. This means that there will be additional monthly bleeding where the tissue forms. It can lead to infertility in humans, especially if left untreated.
Ffs please READ what I write before putting your oar in!!
I said "some sort of" quite deliberately to indicated that I wasn't sure what exactly it involved or where the inflammation was seated; I was hoping someone would explain further.

But it's not a form of inflammation; it's the formation of cells in a place that they shouldn't be. Believe you me, I did read exactly what you put, and it was wrong no matter which way you look at it!

Back